Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-01-2019, 05:16 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Generator Exhaust Extension

I will be dry camping for the first time soon. Do I need an extension pipe for my generators exhaust? Where do I get one, and how much do they cost?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2019, 05:25 PM   #2

What generator do you have?
Wcordes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 05:30 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
We invested in a Gentuir, which attaches to the exhaust pipe and diverts the exhaust up. It then acts as a venturi pulling cold air in and then the mixed gas goes up the pipe.

Two benefits. It reduces exhaust noise and also gets the exhaust up high which allows it to disperse.

My wife attends dog shows and in a lot of cases they require this since the RV's are parked close together.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 06:09 AM   #4

X2 on the Gen-turi. It comes in a carrying case for easy storage. You will have to remove the chrome tip from the genny exhaust (if you have one) and install the piece that the Gen-Turi mounts to. It doesn't take much to install this piece initially and it stays on the exhaust pipe. When you need to install the Gen-turi onto the coach this takes like a minute or two. You will need to figure how how you want to secure the Gen-turi once you've installed it. It comes with suction cups but I've found (and others also found) that using them leaves "rings" in the gelcoat/paint. What I did was make an antenna mast that I mount to the driver door glass and I now attach the Gen-turi pipe with a bungy cord. You can get the Gen-turi at Walmart for $88. (as of this morning).
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 06:54 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Generator

I have a Cummins Disel and the exhaust pipe is by the driver side window.
I will check with Walmart. I am not sure my batteries will stay charged from 11pm to 7am. I have a residential refrigerator.
Old 01-02-2019, 09:18 AM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I wouldn't worry about the generator exhaust unless you will be very close to another RV. JMHO
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 11:06 AM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Camping

I will be attending the FMCA SEA rally in Lakeland and the rally in Perry. Plenty of other campers.
Old 01-03-2019, 07:42 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilNDenise View Post
I have a Cummins Disel and the exhaust pipe is by the driver side window.

I will check with Walmart. I am not sure my batteries will stay charged from 11pm to 7am. I have a residential refrigerator.

What is your battery capacity in Ah? What about doing a test overnight at home to see if they can last all night?
knit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 08:02 AM   #9

I use my venturi anytime I run the on board generator. Gas powered ONAN 5500. It does tame the noise down which in itself is a good enough reason to use the Gen-Turi.
I bought it mainly for our trips to Watkins Glen Raceway where campers are fairly close to each other but having the same reserved site for several years and the folks next to me having their same site I knew they have kids sleeping in a tent almost next to my generator exhaust pipe.
We also had a problem with a gentleman who was camped behind us a few years ago. He ran a generator 24/7 and the exhaust blew right into the window of my son's camper. I confronted the gentleman and he got indignant about me approaching him. This could have become ugly but I instead talked to security and they told him to shut the generator off until he found a suitable exhaust system. There was a display set up at the track from a camper sales company and the gentleman bought and installed a Gen-Turi on his generator.
When he got done he came over and apologized for his previous comments.
I didn't have much to say as I was there to have a good time not to cause a fight.
Lynn
Old 01-03-2019, 12:31 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I wouldn't worry about the generator exhaust unless you will be very close to another RV. JMHO
We were camping one time in a full sun site (ugh) and was running the genny to run the 2 A/C to cool down the coach. We were out sitting under the awning and noticed that the genny exhaust, while over on the other side of the coach, was being blown under the coach by the wind and was fumigating us. So getting your exhaust up in the air is not just for protecting someone else, it will also protect you. I attach mine every time we are stationary and using the genny.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 05:50 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I am also looking to purchase a Gen-turi. Has anyone had to purchase the 18 inch extension tube for roof height? I have a Ventana, so not as high as DS or higher...but if I am going to order Gen-Turi, I figured I would order an extension at the same time.

Thanks.
richpatty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 06:03 PM   #12

The best way to find out might be to go to the Newmar owners site on this forum and ask. Someone there must have one.
Lynn
Old 01-04-2019, 06:15 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
The best way to find out might be to go to the Newmar owners site on this forum and ask. Someone there must have one.
Lynn
I can do that as well, but I figured I would ask an active thread before starting a new one....
richpatty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 06:32 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by richpatty View Post
I can do that as well, but I figured I would ask an active thread before starting a new one....
If my MH was home instead of being 20 miles away locked in a storage barn I'd get my Gen-Turi out and measure it for you.
I'd be happy to help you out next May. LOL
Does the Gen-Turi website show any measurements on it? The distance from the generator exhaust pipe to the roof would be what you are looking for plus the recommended height above the roof the pipe would extend.
I don't require an extension on mine so have never had to deal with this. I have to believe they would want the exit to be above vent openings and the AC units so exhaust doesn't enter these and come back into the coach.
Now you have me thinking. Is mine high enough?
I'll shut up now.
Lynn

Tags
exhaust, generator