RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-19-2019, 07:59 AM   #1

Question Generator - no fuel problem help please

Onan Generator 4000 Model 4KYFA26100L
I've read lots of threads about this generator but mine seems to have a puzzling issue. It started up with no problem since we bought our used Baystar last year. We ran it every month for 1/2 hour as suggested. Then it sat at the body shop (unfortunate scratch) for 6 weeks with no run. We came home, started her up, ran 15 minutes and just died. Seemed to be fuel starved. Disconnected fuel line at carb, put it in a bucket and pushed the prime button. Only dribbles of gas came out. Checked not kinks or holes in the line to the gas tank. In fact we've now replaced the line as far back as we can go, without dropping tank. So, replaced both the pump and fuel filter and still no gas getting through. Next we installed a bulb pump (like in an outboard motor for a boat) back by the fuel tank and hand primed the line. It then ran like a clock until the amount we'd filled the line with ran out. Then it chokes and dies again.
You're saying another faulty fuel pump right? but we did an experiment where we disconnected the line right after the pump, attached 6 feet of new line, ran it into a gas can with a 4 ' drop and it worked.
It's looking more and more like it's sucking air between where we can reach outside the tank and into the tank itself
a) the tank is full
2) we can hear bubbling in the tank when we blow in the line
3) generator has 52 hours on it - Baystar 2012 3302
Any other suggestions appreciated as I really don't want to have to drop the tank to fix the issue? Any one else have this problem. Any experience much much appreciated. Julie

marlin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2019, 08:28 AM   #2

I would check the available voltage at the fuel pump. It should be full battery voltage.
You said the pump would pump into a can but did the fuel just run out of the line or was it under pressure? The pump may have had enough strength to start a siphon action to get fuel running into a gas can.
I would be surprised if you could get a bulb siphon to work if there was a leak in the line somewhere. If you did you have a good one.
Are you sure the pump is wired in correctly?
Lynn

Old 08-19-2019, 08:56 AM   #3

It doesn't take much more than a dribble for a generator.
Are you sure the carb float check valve isn't stuck? If you can access it, give the float bowl a rap with the back of a screwdriver to see if the valve will unjar. You should be able to push air into the carb if the fuel level in the carb is low. Don't use compressed air - too much.

So, do you hear the fuel pump humming when it should be on?

If the tank is full, then it's unlikely a hole in the line IN the tank is an issue as it should be covered by fuel. If you can blow air in, and hear it bubble, then that's proof you have flow. So unlikely the tank has to be dropped.

If you had a hole in a line outside of the tank, then you should see a visible leak.

double check the pump is wired with correct polarity since it seems like lots of stuff has been done to diagnose already. If the pump was wired backwards...you might be pumping air INTO the tank. And make sure the Inlet / Outlet are plumbed in the right direction. Again...not sure what has been done already so we are looking for mistakes everywhere.

The fuel outlet pointed downwards sounds like it was gravity / siphon fed. The pump may also have a check valve in it to keep the fuel from draining back to the tank. Since you already replaced the pump (why?) then that likely rules out a pump issue other than misinstallation problems (wiring / plumbing).
Old 08-19-2019, 11:31 AM   #4

Lynn, thanks
Yes the pump is wired in correctly, exactly as the previous one that worked, till it didn't did. Will check the voltage and the amount of pressure as you suggested. ""The pump may have had enough strength to start a siphon action to get fuel running into a gas can" Will try to check that out.
appreciate. Julie
Old 08-19-2019, 11:38 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav L View Post
It doesn't take much more than a dribble for a generator.
Are you sure the carb float check valve isn't stuck? If you can access it, give the float bowl a rap with the back of a screwdriver to see if the valve will unjar. You should be able to push air into the carb if the fuel level in the carb is low. Don't use compressed air - too much.

So, do you hear the fuel pump humming when it should be on?

If the tank is full, then it's unlikely a hole in the line IN the tank is an issue as it should be covered by fuel. If you can blow air in, and hear it bubble, then that's proof you have flow. So unlikely the tank has to be dropped.

If you had a hole in a line outside of the tank, then you should see a visible leak.

double check the pump is wired with correct polarity since it seems like lots of stuff has been done to diagnose already. If the pump was wired backwards...you might be pumping air INTO the tank. And make sure the Inlet / Outlet are plumbed in the right direction. Again...not sure what has been done already so we are looking for mistakes everywhere.

The fuel outlet pointed downwards sounds like it was gravity / siphon fed. The pump may also have a check valve in it to keep the fuel from draining back to the tank. Since you already replaced the pump (why?) then that likely rules out a pump issue other than misinstallation problems (wiring / plumbing).
Dave L
Thanks for all that handy info. THe old pump worked fine and then just stopped. The new one is wired in exactly as the old so are you saying it may just be a bad pump, from the factory? Polarity at our end is not an issue but could be in the sealed unit itself? Yes, we do hear bubbles and we couldn't replace the line from where we did replace, right by the tank to where it goes over and then in (can't access for about 3 ft there) and we have never smelled gas. I'm going to take your suggestion and run it again (after hand priming) and see if we see any gas on top of the tank(where we can't reach the line) The new pump is installed with the flow moving in the correct direction (same as old one). We can hear the pump running goes tic tic tic brrr. (yeah that helped right??? ha ha) Thanks so much for taking the time - going to check out your suggestions.
Old 08-19-2019, 11:46 AM   #6

I agree with you that its sucking air gone the gas line. While holding prime switch, you should have a solid stream of gas shooting out.

The line could have a pin hole or crack in it beyond where you replaced it. It won't leak gas because its under vacuum before the pump. Air can leak in but thicker gas won't leak out.

Just a thought, but maybe you can snake a thinner plastic line thru the gas line and into the tank pickup tube. Then connect the thinner line to where you coupled up the section of line you replaced.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 07:07 PM   #7

Twinboat. I like the thinner line through the gas line idea. Will try it this weekend. The 3 ft section of line we replaced we tested by putting in a pail of water, plugging the end and blowing into it. No air at all and the line looked just fine - no degregation. So, although everything is pointing to a problem beyond where we replaced what would be the chances ha ha right. I'm going to buy the thinner tubing tomorrow and see how she goes. Thanks for taking the time. Julie
Old 08-20-2019, 05:43 AM   #8

Before I went to much more trouble I'd put a length of fuel line onto the pump's intake and submerge the line in a can of fuel. Then I'd try to run the generator.
This should tell you if there is a fuel line problem between the fuel in the rig's tank and the pump or if the pump itself is defective.
This test would tell you if you may have a fuel line collapsing back by the tank when the fuel pump is creating a vacuum on the line to pull fuel through it.
Lynn
Old 08-20-2019, 05:46 AM   #9

I may have missed it but did you check the voltage on the pump wires?
Lynn
Old 08-21-2019, 02:06 PM   #10

Yes Lynn, Tried the fuel line directly to a pump and into gas line and worked fine but someone suggested that could just be siphon effect. The voltage was good. Down on the old pump - good on the new. Thanks again julie
Old 08-21-2019, 02:12 PM   #11

Twin Boat, Did what you said. Threaded a 1/8" diameter line into the existing fuel line from just before the pump through it as far as it would go. Hooked back up and primed the pump. Still nothing so put the bulb (with check valve) in before the join with the new 1/8 line and pumped and pumped and pumped. Transparent (fuel approved) line so you could see things starting to happen. Pumped till bulb full and then primed from carb end and voila - she ran. Air bubbles in the transparent line for a while and then just beautiful fuel. Shut her down. Hour later fires right up again and runs fine under load. So I know the problem is definately between outside of tank and into tank. I'm thinking rather than draining all that fuel from the gas tank and dropping the tank, I'll run it as it is. All the fittings are solid and the line is manufactured for gas. The diameter is smaller but my generator doesn't seem to care. I'll leave the bulb pump just before it as I like the idea of having that other check valve in the line. Thanks so much, I haven't pulled all my hair out.
Old 08-21-2019, 02:16 PM   #12

Thank you so very much to everyone who offered great suggestions. This was my first time asking for help and I'm overwhelmed by the terrific community out there. I'd contacted the manufacturer and distributor and you guys are by far the best!
Have a great day and thanks again. Julie

Tags
fuel, generator, problem