RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-10-2010, 07:34 AM   #1

Generator not getting fuel flow???

As a new 2003 Kountry Star owner, I am wondering if anyone know if and/or where someone could find a shop repair/service manual?

The direct question is, does any one know how to gain access to the generator fuel pickup on the gas tank. It seems the gas line will not flow any fuel to the generator. The obvious answer is to drop the tank, just wondering if there is any other option.

I have tested everything I can think of, Blown through the line, can hear it blowing (bubbling in the tank. Put a vacuum pump on the line pulled it down to 15 psi, no flow. Put a gauge on the fuel pump, pulling a steady 5 psi vacuum. Put a hose in an external tank setting on the ground, generator ran for an hour just fine. The generator has a prime button on it so I am able to attempt to prime, of course no luck there either.
Does anyone know if the line should free flow (siphon) from the tank?

BTW the generator is a Guardian Quietpact 65G by Generac W/145hrs. I do have the generator owners manual.

Thanks for any ideas.

Doug017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2010, 08:48 AM   #2

Im not familiar with your exact setup, just guessing here....

So if I understand you correctly... you can blow thru the line unobstructed and you have flow. But if you suck thru the line fron the fuel pump end of the line you have no flow and can get the psi/vacuum gauge to register 15psi but no fuel is drawing up the line at 15psi? Seems like it could be a check valve (one-way) on the fuel line in the line or tank that is backwards or bad?

Old 07-10-2010, 09:11 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Is your tank above a 1/4 full. Gen will shut down below 1/4 full. Its that way so you will not run out of gas for engine to get to gas station.

Welcome to irv2 by the way & come and join us on the NEWMAR Forum.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 10:50 AM   #4

Well to blow through it is not easy, there is quite a bit of resistance.

Yes, well over a 1/4 near full tank of fuel.
Old 07-10-2010, 11:18 AM   #5

I've seen rubber fuel lines deteriorate internally allowing them to collapse upon themselves.. you can blow through them ok, but drawing through causes it to further collapse inward cutting off any flow. It has to be either a collapsed line or a faulty check valve (if it has one).
Old 07-10-2010, 11:58 AM   #6
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have a problem with prime pump, fuel pump, also it will chatter when priming and continue even after Gen starts. Will need new fuel pump for Gen. Get no start now just allot of chatter.

55 Generac
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 01:24 PM   #7

I had a similar problem on my Bounder and it turned out to be that the vertical fuel pickup tube had a broken weld at the bottom of the tank and had fallen over and would not suck fuel. The tank had to be dropped and the tube rewelded. Good luck on finding a welding shop that will work on gas tanks that have had gas in them.
inspectorudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 02:47 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Don't know about your setup. On my MH the fuel line going to the generator has TWO fuel filters. One is on the generator and the other is inline about half way between the generator and the fuel tank. Make sure that your fuel filters are clean.

Never have figured out why Tiffin installs two filters

George
cvrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 09:31 PM   #9

My tank is less than 4 feet away from the generator. But thanks for the thought.

I have found something interesting on a MH parts site: Save at RV Partscenter - RV Parts and Supply

Anyone know if this exists and if so does anyone know where it might be located. It is not visible between the generator and where the line disappears at the frame rail. Remain baffled !!!!!
Old 07-12-2010, 03:10 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Never heard of a valve on the generator fuel intake.

And I don't think there is any such thing as a Service Manual for a Kountry Star. If Newmar has one, they aren't publishing it!

The usual reason for a generator fuel line failure is a pin hole leak so that it sucks air, or a line that has softened to the point where it collapses when the genny's fuel pump starts to "suck" on the fuel line. That's assuming the filter isn't clogged, of course.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 10:36 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
My fuel line from the tank to Gen. went bad dried and cracked, dropped tank part way down and replaced fuel injection hose.
John Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 10:53 PM   #12

Generator fuel flow

Doug - that shut off valve is for a Generac contractors portable generator and fits into the bottom of the plastic gas tank- you have already bypassed the RV generator fuel system with a remote fuel tank and it ran o.k. so it looks like you will have to drop the tank - you can check the fuel line first- follow it back from the genset to the tank as much as you can - the Generac has its own filter at the fuel pump but that doesn't say someone at the factory didn't put in an extra in-line filter so look for this too and see if you can find any problems in the line if not then you may have to drop the tank - as others have mentioned the fuel line may have collapsed or cracked and opened up - let us know what you find.
RV Mech Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 12:09 AM   #13

Doug, I'm dealing with the same problem you're having.

I removed the rubber fuel line from the filter on the genset carb and hot wired the pump. The pump ran but only blew air and spit a few drops of fuel out of the line.

In my case, the rubber fuel line has deteriorated over the years and developed cracks back where it connects to the tank area and is sucking air, no fuel.

Presently its in the shop where they'll drop the tank and install a new fuel line from the tank up to the genset.

Since our coach is 10 years old, I asked them while they have the tank dropped to go ahead and replace the in-tank fuel pump just as a precaution.

I would suspect a fuel line with cracks sucking air could also be your problem.

Good luck, Jim

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 12:10 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVJ58 View Post
Doug, I'm dealing with the same problem you're having.

I removed the rubber fuel line from the filter on the genset carb and hot wired the pump. The pump ran but only blew air and spit a few drops of fuel out of the line.

In my case, the rubber fuel line has deteriorated over the years and developed cracks back where it connects to the tank area and is sucking air, no fuel.

Good luck, Jim
Why would they use rubber for fuel line anyway?

alvinc is offline   Reply With Quote