Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-13-2013, 02:02 PM   #1

Generator problem...

My 6.5 Generac generator produces voltage of 110+ for 10 minutes and then quits producing, but the generator continues to run. Then about 3 minutes later it begins producing again and the voltage meter reads about 110+ volts and voltage continues climbing until it reaches almost the red zone about 130v and then quits producing. This cycle of producing and shutting down continues. I should mention I am running 2 AC's at the time, they shut down and come back on when voltage returns. Any help will be appreciated!!!!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2013, 05:43 PM   #2

Have you tried running just one of the A/C units to see how it reacts? Do you have a automatic transfer switch?
Old 05-13-2013, 07:11 PM   #3

Do the engine rpms change during this episode? If they do, the problem lies with the engine, fuel, air, governor, etc.

2003 Fleetwood Expedition 38N 2005 Saturn Vue
jlfbatonrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:08 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce H View Post
My 6.5 Generac generator produces voltage of 110+ for 10 minutes and then quits producing, but the generator continues to run. Then about 3 minutes later it begins producing again and the voltage meter reads about 110+ volts and voltage continues climbing until it reaches almost the red zone about 130v and then quits producing. This cycle of producing and shutting down continues. I should mention I am running 2 AC's at the time, they shut down and come back on when voltage returns. Any help will be appreciated!!!!
I had a similar problem with an LP Onan, but it occurred when there was no load, (no air conditioners etc).
The AC power would switch ON/OFF repeatedly every 30 seconds or so,
The cause was a high running speed which resulted in the genset producing 130+ volts.
Because of the high output voltage, some protective device, (the transfer switch?, the inverter? other?), was switching the AC current ON/OFF/ON/OFF....
The problem was rusty/sticking/binding generator throttle linkage.
I used WD40 to clean/lube the generator linkage which allowed the genset to idle and run correctly thereby dropping the output current to a constantly ON 120V.
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 04:39 PM   #5

I was able to find out what the problem was. It was the voltage regulator. It is located in the circuit breaker box on the generator where the start stop and circuit breakers are. It cost around $100. There is a 3 amp circuit breaker in the same area and it is advisable to change it as well. These part numbers are in the Generac hand book.
Old 04-16-2014, 08:16 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
My Newmar has a 7.5kw Generac that quits while running in 104+ temps. It will power both ac's for about 2-3 hrs then quit. Won't start until it cools down...any suggestions?

8.1 Workhorse w/UltraPower,Taylor 409 plug wires,AC Delco 41-993 Plugs and OEM Engineering Fuel Filter Adaper
stubeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 09:23 AM   #7

Yes stubeje, I have had the same problems with my 7.5 Generac since day one. i live in Arizona and travel across the desert quite often in the SUMMER. The only way I found I could make it work was to run 1 AC and close off the bedroom, I also take the cover off the enclosed generator. They say this is not recommended but it works for me.
If someone else has a better fix let us know.

Tags
generator