Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-22-2014, 05:10 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Generator runs but no house power

My generator will run but there is no power inside the coach.
The circuit breakers are not kicked on the unit nor in the house coach breaker box.
I'm guessing the transfer switch.
This is a late build 2013 mh that's been on the lot for sometime.
We purchased it two weeks ago.

Your thoughts ?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2014, 05:29 PM   #2

I agree, I would suspect the transfer switch, assuming you have first checked the breakers on the gen and determined 120Vac is at the gen output, measuring it at the transfer switch might be a convenient place to check that voltage. I am not familiar with your coach but I assume the TS is automatic? i.e: an "ATS"
Libero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 05:35 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Just wondering are you sure your RV has an automatic transfer switch?
Or do you have to plug in the shore power cord in to a receptacle that may be found where you store the shore power cord.
Old 03-22-2014, 05:36 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libero View Post
I agree, I would suspect the transfer switch, assuming you have first checked the breakers on the gen and determined 120Vac is at the gen output, measuring it at the transfer switch might be a convenient place to check that voltage. I am not familiar with your coach but I assume the TS is automatic? i.e: an "ATS"

I've not measured the output bit if the engines running the magnets should be spinning.
This thin has less than 60 hrs on it so I guess my best move is to get it to shop that won't void any warranties.
Thank you for your input. We're still figuring out what all the buttons do on this end and need all the help we can get.
Old 03-22-2014, 05:41 PM   #5

I agree, if it is under warranty, let them do it. But breakers can be faulty, wires can be loose or disconnected. A new vehicle could have bad connections.
Old 03-22-2014, 05:47 PM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
I'd still check the output voltage at the generator before leaving it on the dealer's lot. Usually an ATS will delay switching over, to give the generator time to 'settle down.' Older RVs didn't have an ATS, the switch over had to be done by owner by plugging shore cord into an outlet wired to the generator. A generator is more than just a spinning magnet, it has circuit boards regulating power and cycles. Did you reset the circuit breakers by turning them off then on again? Often a tripped breaker is missed.
When you plug in to shore power, an ATS will again delay before connecting. Does yours behave and delay or connect right away? Either your ATS is working if it delays, or missing or stuck if it connects immediately.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 06:10 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
When I plugged into shore power there was +/_ 2 second delay then I heard the "clunk" and the house came on.
All the breakers have been reset, but no go on that.
Old 03-22-2014, 06:13 PM   #8

On an older motorhome we had, our propane generator would run, but no voltage was being produced. It was the slip rings becoming tarnished and the brushes couldn't make contact with them well enough to generate electricity. I had to polish the slip rings with something that looked like a pencil eraser. After that the generator was good to go again. This is one reason its a good idea to exercise the generator every 30 to 60 days by running it under a load. That keeps the rings bright and shinny and thus make for a good connection for the brushes.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 06:29 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by debrey View Post
When I plugged into shore power there was +/_ 2 second delay then I heard the "clunk" and the house came on.
All the breakers have been reset, but no go on that.
This shows the transfer switch connects to the dist panel when on shore power.

While I suggest if the unit is under warranty, I would have corrective action taken by the dealer, I still suggest you measure the generator output voltage and go from there for your own information.

Good luck,
Old 03-22-2014, 06:37 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
I'd still check the output voltage at the generator before leaving it on the dealer's lot. '
Usually an ATS will delay switching over, to give the generator time to 'settle down.................When you plug in to shore power, an ATS will again delay before connecting. Does yours behave and delay or connect right away? Either your ATS is working if it delays, or missing or stuck if it connects immediately.
This is not the way any ATS works that I have ever seen. Only one input has the 30sec delay. This delayed input is usually wired to the generator output, to give the generator time to spin up and stabilize(as you stated), but the shore power input does not require this delay and the ATS does not provide any delay to the shore power input..
See this doc....
Old 03-22-2014, 06:49 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by loulong View Post
This is not the way any ATS works that I have ever seen. Only one input has the 30sec delay. This delayed input is usually wired to the generator output, to give the generator time to spin up and stabilize(as you stated), but the shore power input does not require this delay and the ATS does not provide any delay to the shore power input..
I agree, I have never seen a transfer switch delay when connecting to shore power. Is it possible the ATS is miswired? Again, check the gen voltage output and the transfer switch wiring. It is not right IMHO also.
Old 03-22-2014, 07:19 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
This is a brand new coach. Tiffin 35'.
It probably has built in power protection by Surge Guard or Progressive Industries, and is probably a 50amp coach.

I think we are wasting our time trying to guess at the problem with the limited information provided. It needs to go back to the dealer anyway.
Old 03-22-2014, 08:04 PM   #13

Loulong

X2
Old 03-25-2014, 11:23 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libero View Post
I agree, I have never seen a transfer switch delay when connecting to shore power. Is it possible the ATS is miswired? Again, check the gen voltage output and the transfer switch wiring. It is not right IMHO also.
You guys nailed it.
ATS was wired backwards. Also gen needed a good cleaning after sitting on the lot for so long.

Tags
generator, power