Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-25-2014, 08:54 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Generator service

I am closing in on 1000 hours on my Onan 7.5 diesel gen. I have heard one needs to do more than filters and oil chg.. My gen is not on a slide does this mean its a lot more involved for a service provider to get to gen internals... What should I have done and what do i expect for costs?? 2005 fleetwood expedition...tks for advice GlenB

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2014, 09:37 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Anything other than oil and filters will require unit to be removed from MH. You won't believe how high you have to raise the front end to get it out. Had mine out of the Providence to replace coolant tank and water pump belt.

Old 08-25-2014, 12:18 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Onan recommends changing the drive belt at 1000, but I have 1900 hrs on my 7500 and it's still going strong. At 1200 hours I opened the covers on mine enough to eyeball it and decided the belt still looked like new.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 10:05 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Somewhere there is an article about a Onan diesel that has over 25,000 hours on it and has had nothing but regular maintenance
Old 08-26-2014, 12:46 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
I am close to the 1,000 hour mark also. I contacted the local Cummins repair shop and was given 2 places that drop them all the time. I called and was told I am looking at 6 hours labor from start to finish, plus parts. I asked why 6 hours, 2 hours to get it out, 2 hours to put it back in, and 2 hours to service the gen set. I asked how they knew it would be 2 hours, the guy said they put it on the lift, and have a jack with a frame that supports the gen set while they disconnect it. Once disconnected they roll it out, service it, then roll it back under, jack it into position and reconnect everything. Labor is $120 an hour, so labor alone is $720. Then there are parts, they replace the thermostat, fuel filter, air filter, radiator hoses, radiator cap, oil and oil filter, and v belt. I am guessing parts are not cheap either.
UsualSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 03:52 AM   #6

Man, that is a lot of work for only 1000 hours of use. I picked up my new Discovery last week and already have 115 hours on it so I think I could have 1000 hours pretty quickly if camping in hot areas without AC hookups.
Old 08-26-2014, 08:29 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
All these inputs are why I raise this question.. I am one of those that tries to maintain my stuff within reason... I watch my hours and do the oil and filter thing.. I may do like Gary and do a visual by removing covers and go from there... Part of me says 2500 hours would be an appropriate full Maint event????
Old 08-26-2014, 09:29 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I feel a lot has to do with age/hours of use. As in 5 years and a 1000 hours go more time. 10 years and 1000 hours maybe do the 1000 hour. That is with regular maintenance being done. Also coming into play how important is the Gen, will losing it kill a trip or be an inconvenience. JMO

LEN
Old 08-26-2014, 07:23 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I had my 6500 watt gas genset serviced at Rocky Mountain cummins last year and they were great. My unit is 25 years old and had about 756hr on it. They replaced the rings, brushes, voltage regulator, oil, and filters. The reason I think they were so great is the mechanic did my walk around with me, told me what I needed and what not to get done (the service writer was trying to sell me $600 plus of unneeded service), and did it all without pulling the unit. I like to do my own servicing if I can but with my back I could not get to the rings with out pluming the unit, I still don't know how he did it, there in not the much extra space in there.

Oh and the reason the rings, brushes, and regulator needed to be replaced, was because of non use.

Tags
generator, service