Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-05-2018, 09:40 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Generator switch not working

There are two switches in my coach to control the Onan genset. One on the front dash and the other in the control panel in the center of the coach. The center switch is not firing the gen. When I press it to start, I can hear the fuel pump activate, the red light beside the switch comes on but the gen does not fire up. The switch up front does work and when used it will cause the "generator running" light on the mid coach Eric panel to illuminate. Anyone have some trouble shooting tips for this problem? I already replaced the switch but no luck. Must be in the wiring.
Stan&Jacquie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2018, 10:12 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I have one switch inside the coach to control my genset, and it quit working too. The problem was a connector on the cable between the genset and the coach. As I pull my genset slide out, this cable is on the passenger side. Mine had two redundant connectors in that one cable, one of which was not weather resistant and was heavily corroded. I removed that connector and reconnected the lines, leaving the weather resistant connector, and the unit has performed wonderfully since.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 07:43 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the tip!
Old 01-05-2018, 07:45 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Where was that connector located? Was it near the main connector to the genset or further along the cable?
Old 01-05-2018, 10:51 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
My genset slide comes out the nose, like alot of DPs. My connectors are located about 12 inches back from the forward fiberclass nose skin on the passenger side. There were two connectors, one 3 inches behind the other in series. Redundant and stupid setup. The aft one was not weather resistant and therefore corroded. The cable these connectors served is about 4-6 16ga 12vdc wires used to bring signal voltages to and from the switch. It was not the 12/3 120VAC cable.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 05:21 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks again!

Tags
generator, switch