Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-19-2014, 06:36 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Generator use?

I used to have a TT and used a Honda 3000 for quire power, used about a tank (7 gals) every 20 hours. Purchased a Class A with a 5500 onan . Would I be better off running the Honda instead of the on board unit?
WReeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2014, 06:49 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
a while back i looked up (not sure where i found info at), but running a diesel gen, with a low load on it, used 1/3 gal per hr. full load 9/10 of a gal per hr. an it was a 7500 onan gen. not sure if smaller would use more/less as have to work harder. but also units with a smaller one may have less hooked up to them.
Old 01-19-2014, 06:55 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildmandmc View Post
a while back i looked up (not sure where i found info at), but running a diesel gen, with a low load on it, used 1/3 gal per hr. full load 9/10 of a gal per hr. an it was a 7500 onan gen. not sure if smaller would use more/less as have to work harder. but also units with a smaller one may have less hooked up to them.
My unit is gas powered and I was told that under a lite load about 1/2 gal per hour, and 3/4 for a full load ? I've never checked it out though!
Old 01-19-2014, 07:26 AM   #4

Cummins/Onan publishes fuel consumption rates at various load %'s.

From their website;
5500 Gasoline (carbureted or fuel injected)
Average fuel consumption:
No load: 60 Hz 0.3 Gal/h (1.3 L/h) Half load: 0.6 Gal/h (2.3 L/h) Full load: 0.9 Gal/h (3.6 L/h)

Very interesting discussion on generators, their efficiency and fuel consumption rates here: Standby Generator Efficiency Testing
Old 01-19-2014, 07:35 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94-Newmar View Post

From their website;
No load: 60 Hz 0.3 Gal/h (1.3 L/h) Half load: 0.6 Gal/h (2.3 L/h) Full load: 0.9 Gal/h (3.6 L/h)

Very interesting discussion on generators, their efficiency and fuel consumption rates here: Standby Generator Efficiency Testing
You will pretty much have to take the manufacturer's word for it. It is very hard to accurately measure the fuel consumption on a built in generator since it pulls from the gas tank.
Old 01-19-2014, 07:36 AM   #6

My opinion only. Why would I want to cary around a 3K loud portable generator, keep separate fuel containers, chains to lock it up, with no automatic switching from shore to gen or back, and the hassle of dragging that out each time I want to charge the batteries or run the A/C when boondocking when I have an onboard quieter 5.5K generator where I simply push a button to start. Maybe just me but I would be constantly worrying abut carrying a five gallon container of gasoline around in my basement compartment to supply a portable. At best your probably only going to save 1/4 gph. I just do t think it would be worth it.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 07:41 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:

From their website;

So using what info you posted, I could save 3 gals of fuel by using the Honda!
Old 01-19-2014, 07:48 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by WReeder View Post
So using what info you posted, I could save 3 gals of fuel by using the Honda!
Well...maybe. I cannot find published numbers from Honda in the same manner as Cummins/Onan has done. Remember, 50% load to the 5500 would be equivalent to 90% of the Honda 3000.. which of course, will change the Honda's fuel consumption rate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selah View Post
Why would I want to cary around a 3K loud portable generator
The Honda 2/3/4000 series generators are far quieter than the Cummins/Onan 5500's in gasoline or diesel :-)
Old 01-19-2014, 07:58 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
I've got to agree with Selah. That space & weight can be much better used for other contents that you would use on your trips. If saving 3 gallons of fuel for 20 hours is a make it or break it for the trip, I would just find a place 20 miles closer to home. By the way unless you are boon docking, 20 hours use for me takes about 8 months to a year. Even this past week we boondocked for 4 days & only put 5 hours on the genny, & I don't have solar. I would sell the the Honda & pay for several gallons of fuel for the Onan.
Old 01-19-2014, 08:04 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Well...maybe. I cannot find published numbers from Honda in the same manner as Cummins/Onan has done. Remember, 50% load to the 5500 would be equivalent to 90% of the Honda 3000.. which of course, will change the Honda's fuel consumption rate.

The Honda 2/3/4000 series generators are far quieter than the Cummins/Onan 5500's in gasoline or diesel :-)
The 3000 is quieter than a Nats fart! I tail gate a lot and with just the tv and sat receiver on it uses very little power, I guess I could power them using the inverter! Thanks for everyone input, just wanted to get some feedback on the subject!
Old 01-19-2014, 08:09 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
One consideration will be what you want to run. I agree the small Honda is quiet and will save fuel. You now have more toys on board to run including an A/C unit (or two) that is probably larger and draws more. So even if it was big enough the added draw may increase fuel usage.

If it was me I would hang onto the Honda but maybe not take it in the MH. Those small generators come in very handy at times.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 08:21 AM   #12

A 5500 onboard and a Honda 3000 are 45% apart on available power.

As noted, weight, fuel storage, etc would seem to "outweigh" the underpowered Honda. ;-)
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 08:21 AM   #13

It depends. If you are worried about bothering other campers with your Onan, then use the Honda. If not, fire up your Onan and it will cost ~ $1.60 an hour at half load.
al2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 08:33 AM   #14

One word....EASY.
I like to keep things as simple and easy as possible when I travel.
The only time I ran my genset more than an hour or two was when we were boondocking in Maryland in high 90s weather. All 4 of us on the trip ran gennies almost non-stop for 2 days.
Even then, there's no way I want to mess around with extra fuel, filling tank, etc.
For me, the convenience of hitting the switch on the dash and being done, far outweighs any fuel savings I could realize by going with the Honda.

I understand, of course, that some don't like EASY. They like to make it a job, keeps them busy or something...dunno.

Jim
Lobstah is offline   Reply With Quote