Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-02-2015, 09:09 AM   #1

Generator will not start, no 12v in coach

Hi Guys, sorry i have been away, did you miss me? I have been touring Europe in a Fiat Ducato based motorhome, now that at last I am an empty nester!! Today i went to my 1999 Fleetwood Flair 34D for the first time in 7 months. After charging the chassis battery for a while it started, but nothing from the coach batteries. The generator will not turn over (which I believe is started by the chassis battery) no lights inside, nothing. The coach batteries are well charged and i have turned the isolator switch on. Where do i start to look? I tested the + supply to the generator and nothing there either. Would i find a split charger device under the hood. I suspect that whatever it is will be one component/connection, but i need it sorted before Sunday . Any suggestions gratefully received
imjakethepeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2015, 09:19 AM   #2

On my Freightliner chassis the , power cables from the battery tray to the front of the coach, are protected by inline 135amp fuses, located on the frame , within 24" of the batteries.
Picture is of the fuses mounted on the frame beside the engine, starter relay is on the left and the two ; chassis & coach ; fuses.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Batery fuses.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	153.3 KB
ID:	82408  
Old 01-02-2015, 11:37 AM   #3

On most MH the genny starts off the house batteries if they are fully charged do you here the relay when you hit the store and use button.
Old 01-02-2015, 09:53 PM   #4

No sound at all when I push the start button on the dashboard, and no response when I try to start it from the button on the generator itself
imjakethepeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 08:17 PM   #5
Community Moderator

on my coach, the generator is started by house battery. if yours is the same, you would need to continue to run the engine so let it charge up. if you have a button combining batteries, use that.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 08:55 PM   #6

Jake, I believe all generators are started off the coach batteries. So, I would check battery disconnect first if equipped. Does other 12volt coach items work? If intellitec relay, check fuse on top of relay. Also, the panel, the button gets stuck on mine sometimes. Chris
crockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 07:01 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Have you checked your main battery disconnect?
Old 02-05-2015, 06:42 PM   #8

What is the voltage reading of house batteries? Do the cells have adequate water level?
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 11:06 AM   #9

Some coaches have a 40 or 50 amp popup breaker or fuse on the house batteries which will sometime blow when you recharge betteries that have gone almost flat. Time to play Dick Tracy and follow the path of the power from the batteries until you fine the point it stops flowing.
Old 02-06-2015, 11:22 AM   #10

Sounds like dead house batteries. Try charging them with the charger you used on the chassis batteries. That or plug it in so the converter can do it's part.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 04:39 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by imjakethepeg View Post
Hi Guys, sorry i have been away, did you miss me? I have been touring Europe in a Fiat Ducato based motorhome, now that at last I am an empty nester!! Today i went to my 1999 Fleetwood Flair 34D for the first time in 7 months. After charging the chassis battery for a while it started, but nothing from the coach batteries. The generator will not turn over (which I believe is started by the chassis battery) no lights inside, nothing. The coach batteries are well charged and i have turned the isolator switch on. Where do i start to look? I tested the + supply to the generator and nothing there either. Would i find a split charger device under the hood. I suspect that whatever it is will be one component/connection, but i need it sorted before Sunday . Any suggestions gratefully received
Did you get this resolved? If not, post what you have tried so far.
zzjea is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator