Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-11-2018, 06:12 PM   #1

Genset error code 31

Running with no load and generator began running very ruff and then stopped. Button flashed 3 times, then after pressing stop once, gave me the 31. Manual calls this an over reving or exceeding rpm error and directs me to Onan service. What? I’ve read on here that this code is often resolved by replacing the fuel filter. Any feedback on this? This is a gas 7k generator. It already has the mod done to it that removed the additional fuel filter on the carb. I’ve owned the MH when Gennie was at 150hr. It is now at 350.
Solask is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2018, 06:22 PM   #2

Got more then 1/4 tank of gas ?

Go out and push and hold prime button. Pump should tic, tic, tic and then stop if its pulling gas from the tank. With no gas or plugged filter, it should keep ticking.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 06:58 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Got more then 1/4 tank of gas ?

Go out and push and hold prime button. Pump should tic, tic, tic and then stop if its pulling gas from the tank. With no gas or plugged filter, it should keep ticking.

Yes Twinboat...plenty of gas.. The generator starts and runs for a minute, starts chugging, racing, chugging, and quits..
Old 01-12-2018, 04:39 AM   #4

Changing the gas filter is a cheap step to rule it out. I pull them off, dump out the gas, looking for debris and then see how hard it is to blow thru them.

If the filter doesn't fix it, try running it with the circuit breaker off. That removes any wiring issues.
Old 01-16-2018, 08:41 AM   #5

Finally arrived at my destination and will be parked long enough to troubleshoot this generator issue. A couple days ago, I tried starting it for grins and it chugged for about 15 seconds and died. This time it gave me a 36 code.. When I was at the generator depressing the switch to prime, it seemed like to fuel pump would not stop running/clicking. Not sure what this indicates.
Question about swapping fuel filter. Do I need to pinch off both sides of the filter? Meaning, does the fuel pump block flow when filter is removed?
Old 01-16-2018, 11:11 AM   #6

My filter is before the fuel pump. I've had the line, from the tank, off and only a bit of fuel ran out and it stopped.
Old 01-18-2018, 02:34 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Use these diagnostic Fault Codes from the mamual.

The genset controller provides extensive diagnostics by causing the status indicator

light on the Control Switch to blink in a coded fashion. Following a fault shutdown,

the indicator light will repeatedly blink one, two, three or four blinks at a time.

• One blink indicates shutdown due to high engine coolant temperature.

• Two blinks indicates a low oil pressure fault.

• Three blinks indicates a service fault. Press Stop once to cause the

two-digit, second-level fault code to blink. (Pressing Stop again will stop the

blinking.)The two-digit code consists of 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5 blinks, a brief pause,

and then 1 to 9 blinks. The first set of blinks represents the tens digit and the

second set of blinks the units digit of the fault code number. For example,

Fault Code No. 36 appears as:

blink-blink-blink—pause—blink-blink-blink-blink-blink-blink— long pause—

repeat

• Four blinks indicates that cranking exceeded 30 seconds without the

engine starting.

Note: Fault Code Nos. 3 and 4 are first level faults. Avoid interpreting them

as second-level Fault Code Nos. 33 and 44, which have not been assigned

as fault codes.

Restoring Fault Code Blinking – The fault code stops blinking after five

minutes (15 minutes, Series HGJAA). Press Stop three times within five seconds to

restore blinking. Note that the last fault logged will blink, even after the

condition that caused the shutdown has been corrected.

I had the same codes last year. Need new thermostat and fan belt.
Old 01-18-2018, 05:03 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccusa View Post
Use these diagnostic Fault Codes from the mamual.

The genset controller provides extensive diagnostics by causing the status indicator

light on the Control Switch to blink in a coded fashion. Following a fault shutdown,

the indicator light will repeatedly blink one, two, three or four blinks at a time.

• One blink indicates shutdown due to high engine coolant temperature.

• Two blinks indicates a low oil pressure fault.

• Three blinks indicates a service fault. Press Stop once to cause the

two-digit, second-level fault code to blink. (Pressing Stop again will stop the

blinking.)The two-digit code consists of 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5 blinks, a brief pause,

and then 1 to 9 blinks. The first set of blinks represents the tens digit and the

second set of blinks the units digit of the fault code number. For example,

Fault Code No. 36 appears as:

blink-blink-blink—pause—blink-blink-blink-blink-blink-blink— long pause—

repeat

• Four blinks indicates that cranking exceeded 30 seconds without the

engine starting.

Note: Fault Code Nos. 3 and 4 are first level faults. Avoid interpreting them

as second-level Fault Code Nos. 33 and 44, which have not been assigned

as fault codes.

Restoring Fault Code Blinking – The fault code stops blinking after five

minutes (15 minutes, Series HGJAA). Press Stop three times within five seconds to

restore blinking. Note that the last fault logged will blink, even after the

condition that caused the shutdown has been corrected.

I had the same codes last year. Need new thermostat and fan belt.

Not sure what you are trying to tell me. I'm aware of how the error coding works. The 31 and 36 codes don't reference fan belt or thermostat. Do I even have a fan belt?
Old 01-18-2018, 05:18 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
My first code was 31 and second was 36. The generator would run for a while under load and then shut down. My generator is a QD 7500. Since I did not have any maintenance records, from the last owner, I replaced the fuel filter, changed oil and filter. Found the fan belt was slipping, so it was replaced. Changed the the thermostat, as a precaution, while the generator was apart. Flushed and replaced the coolant.
As for a fan belt, if you have coolant, yes you should have a fan belt.
Old 01-18-2018, 07:22 PM   #10

So you don’t know what fixed it.... and no, I have no coolant.
Old 01-18-2018, 07:52 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
I do know. Changing the fan belt and thermostat stop the problem. The rest were done afterwards as general maintenance.
Old 01-22-2018, 02:03 PM   #12

Replaced the fuel filter on this Onan gas generator. Fired it up and it sputtered for a while and quit with a 14 error code. Geeesh.. Fired it up again and it sputtered for 20 seconds and died with another 14 error code. Fired it up a third time and it’s been running fine for about 15 minutes before shutting it off. The 14 is some sort of over drawing error. I know that my heat pump was coming on during the testing but I thought the gen was not supposed to allow any draw until it was up to speed. Whatever, it seems to be running fine.
Old 01-30-2018, 05:03 PM   #13

Tried the gen again today and it ran for 30 seconds before it started to sound like heck and died.
Error code 13 which is unhelpful. (Controller unable to maintain rated voltage). I had no load on it at the time..
Any suggestions from the group? Did Tiffin install a fuel filter off the gas tank on this 2012 36LA? I followed the line but it disappears into a hole in the frame and goes off inaccessible.
Should I throw a fuel pump in before I call a pro? Generator has only 300 hrs on it.
Old 01-30-2018, 05:07 PM   #14

I know you can 'prime' your fuel filter by holding the STOP button in the OFF position for (1 min??) a time. Might help get the air out.
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote