Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-08-2010, 03:15 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 View Post
Mike, can you clarify?
When it's around 40* or lower, my heat pumps periodically stop blowing air, make strange noises and go through what I've always understood to be a defrost cycle.
Dirk, what make & model of uniut do you have? It is possible that a manufacturer has come out with a model that will now defrost itself. I can check into it to find out if I have a model number.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2010, 02:32 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Mike,
In low temps, my heat pumps work the same as Dirk describes. I have:
1. 2 Dometic Duo-Therm model 630515 or 630516
2. Comfort Control Center model 3109228.001 five button unit
3. Suburban Gas Furnace model SF-42

I have never had the control center auto switch the furnace on. I have had the heat pumps go into "defrost mode" when the temps are low.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 03:29 PM   #17
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Penguin 630516 15K BTU AC/HP

I believe there is an ambient air temp sensor in addition to the defrost cycle function. There is no mistaking the sound og the defrost cycle.

Maybe y'all in warmer climates never had the unit go into the defrost cycle or the automatic switch to the furnace.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 04:25 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
I will have to get my service manual from work to check on some things. I don't doubt that these units have auto defrost capabilities. What I can tell from the available consumer info, is that these units are still not properly equipped to handle cold ambient temperatures as efficient and durable as should be (no crank case heaters in the compressors). This can allow refrigerant migration into the compressor oil. Not a huge problem on such a small system, if enough oil capacity was figured into the design to compensate.
Gary, you may want to take a look at the dip switch settings on the control board of the roof top units located in the control box. These settings should be preset when the units were installed and not be an issue unless they were changed in servicing or units were replaced. Your Comfort Control Center manual will have this very common configuration of the dip switches.
Old 01-09-2010, 11:23 AM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Mike,
On page 10 of my Comfort Control Center Manual it describes the defrost cycle. The description leads me to believe it is independent of the roof mounted unit. It is totally controlled by the Comfort Control Center unit.

When the outside ambient temperature is less than 42 degrees F and above 30 degrees F, the Control Center will allow the roof top unit to run for 25 minutes. Then the fan will be shut off. The refrigerant flow will be reversed for 4 and 1/2 minutes. This is the defrost cycle. The refrigerant flow will again reverse and run for up to 25 minutes. While the outside temp is in this range (42-30 degrees) this cycle will continue.
Old 01-09-2010, 11:28 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Mike,
I found the dip switch settings. I know the rear unit has the switch in the off position for the furnace. This is the correct position for the rear unit. When the weather turns warmer, I check the front unit. Thanks for the reminder about the dip switches.
Old 01-10-2010, 04:01 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Gary, I will have to get my service manuals from work to check into this more deeply for you. I will let you know what I find Monday evening or Tues. am.
Old 01-10-2010, 06:03 AM   #22
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
This morning, it was 29* and when I increased the CCC setting from my night setting of 60* to my day setting of 69*.

Both HPs ran but made liile headway, so I manually switched to the furnace to warm the rig up faster.

After the furnace shut off, I switched back to the HPs and they ran for a bit but switched to the furnace several times. The HPs also went into the defrost cycle several times when I first increased the set point.

The sun is now shining brightly and the HPs are running without swirching to the furnace. Outside air temp is still 29*.

I believe the system is working properly.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 04:48 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Ours is supposed to switch to furnace at below 30 ambient and stays in furnace mode until ambient temp goes back up to 43 . Temps have supposedly been in the 20s the last several nights in Seffner Florida but only last night did the heat pump switch to furnace mode. The heat pump does defrost every 40 minutes when the ambient temps drop below 42.
georgetown350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 06:57 PM   #24

Guess my Monaco works a little different. Temps went down to 17 and the roof units still worked well. We used them because we were pulgged in. We pulled the slides in a t night to help button up from the temps a little. Found that the furnace did warm the floors a little better.

Another reason we used the roof units was that the furnace had a rattling noise in it. I pulled off varioud covers but found nothing. Anyone got any ideas.
resindiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 02:47 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
The roof units probably went into and were operating on heat strips.
The furnace motor bearings could be going bad or the blower wheel may have shifted on the shaft and is rubbing the shroud.