Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-26-2017, 05:39 PM   #1

GoPower All in One Inverter/Charger/Transfer Switch

I'm looking at installing a GoPower GP-IC-2000-12 in our Open Range 3110BH. The current converter is almost directly under the kitchen sink, about 15ft (as the wire runs) from the batteries. The cleanest install would be to install the IC-2000 here and interrupt the 50A service from the outside. The problem is the 15ft to the batteries on the front of the trailer.

What would you do? I could get the inverter and transfer switch separately, put the transfer switch next to the existing converter, and run AC wiring up to the front and find a spot to put the inverter. The issue I believe would be finding a spot for the inverter because the pass through storage in the front isn't very big. This feels a bit clunkier to me when I have the other option available. Either way, I'd have to run wires from the pass through storage, inside under the sink.

Thanks!
squiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2017, 11:45 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club

I'm personally not in favor of 'all in one' appliances. It always seems that one function quits before the others, but you're forced to replace all three when one dies.

Also, a 15' run of DC current requires heavy gauge wires to prevent voltage drop. Tesla (Nikola) proved AC is superior for long runs without power loss. The ATS really isn't needed in a trailer, when you want to use a generator you can just plug your shore cord into the generator output. Unless you've got extra batteries, a large inverter isn't really going to last too long with only 2 batteries of electrical storage.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 06:49 AM   #3

I didn't know that... it would seem to make more sense for 5er makers to put the battery mid-body instead of the front storage. That's where most of the 12v eqpt is... just thinking...
jonnyaiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 07:53 AM   #4

Thank you BFlinn181. All very good points.

I think I will look into getting the standalone inverter then and figure out how I'm going to tie into my existing AC.
Old 07-27-2017, 08:24 AM   #5

I looked at the inverter/charger in question and it's not an Automatic Transfer Switch that selects between shore and generator power.

It is actually a " pass thru " ( transfer ) switch that is very common in most inverter/chargers. They have been around for years and typically trouble free.

If you are building a large battery bank then the 100 amp charging capability will come into play, but if your only looking to add an inverter for some 120 volt power and keeping your present converter/charger, it's a bit overkill.

Search out a 2000 watt inverter with an internal pass thru ( transfer switch ) and mount it near the batteries. Then you can extend any 120 volt wires to it, using proper wire and junction box's.

Interrupting and tieing in to the incoming 50 amp service will create some issues.

If you have a gas/electric fridge, that would need to be switched to gas. ( They draw up to 500 watts on AC, quickly running down the batteries )

You will need to leave the air conditioning and electric water heater off for the same reasons.

With any stand alone inverter, you will need to disable the converter/charger. You can't charge batteries from your batteries.

It is best to create a sub panel for the few circuits you want to supply with the inverter. Then using a pass thru equiped inverter, the whole operation is automatic.

I only needed to supply one circut, so I cut the 120 volt wire supplying it, after the breaker in the main panel. That left me with the input and output to the pass thru transfer switch of my new stand alone inverter.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 10:38 PM   #6

Thanks twinboat!

I think I'm going to get a standalone inverter now that I've looked at it. I will then do the transferring near the existing AC panel. Taking your advice, and looking at my circuits, there are actually only two that I need and they're both 15A. One of the plug circuits has the fridge on it, so I'll run a new Romex to that and split off of that existing breaker to the fridge, and the transfer switch. I'm going to look for a DPDT contactor with 120V coil that will simply switch between shore and inverter, before I go and buy a packaged transfer switch. Depends what I can find.

I'm going to mount the inverter under the bed. There is also room to put the batteries in there (up to four probably) and I have emailed the factory to see if the cross member under the floor is rated for that kind of weight. I can easily vent the battery box to the outside, through the pass through storage which is beside the under bed storage.

Tags
charger, inverter, power, switch, transfer switch