Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-06-2016, 07:04 AM   #29
IC2

A GPS is a tool to aid you, not a fail safe to take as 'gospel'. They are generally pretty dang good on the interstates and US highways, not always so good on state, county and town roads. My 760 was about 95% accurate on a lengthy trip last fall. The 5% 'failure' was a circular route, luckily without the 5er attached, another when it wanted me to go over a steep and winding road and the third when it put me at a 'T' intersection that another foot of length would have meant a back up over a narrow truss bridge. The older 2597 that I use occasionally along side of that 760 has done worse - like a decent paved country road that turned into two track dirt path with no warning. That entailed a fairly long back out with that combined TV/trailer hinged length of 57' or so earned me my combat RVer's badge of stupidity since I hadn't preplotted that day's drive.

I try to understand my route via the GPS, a state map or at least my Michelin road atlas every day while towing. I seldom get in trouble that way but that's not always 100% either. It's all a part of the fun of RVing
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2016, 07:47 AM   #30

Our Garmin 760 is the third GPS we've used in three years of full-timing. First was a Magellan that we had for years, but lacked updates so we upgraded to a RM model for RVs. It was okay, however after the third problem with recharging the unit in 16 months we bought the Garmin 760. It's been the best so far, yet still has its quirks. I like the display options and audible warnings. It works great on Interstates and major highways, but we tend to avoid those routes and that is when the Garmin comes up short. I map out the day's route using the Garmin and Google. Often I must insert multiple stops to the Garmin in order to map our preferred route. I also write down the list of turns on especially tricky routes. Sometimes it's stubborn about changing its recommended directions, though it does a good job adapting and quickly rerouting. It still fails us occasionally, but I am satisfied with it overall.
Old 06-06-2016, 09:02 PM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
I just created a rte in Basecamp using stops, transferred it to the 760 and only the start/end points are the same. I do not want to go the way it routed me on the GPS, not sure how to correct this.

DICK
Acker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 10:59 PM   #32

Create your route using routing points or way points. If using waypoints, select them (ctrl-click) in order of appearance, including start and end points, then do File > New > Route using selected waypoints.

I believe there's some minimum number of waypoints needed to force the gps to follow the route but I don't know what that is.

Also, when you start out on your route select the first waypoint on the gps, not the eventual destination.
Old 06-07-2016, 08:10 AM   #33

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acker1 View Post
I just created a rte in Basecamp using stops, transferred it to the 760 and only the start/end points are the same. I do not want to go the way it routed me on the GPS, not sure how to correct this.

DICK
I often build routes using intersections when I don't like route the GPS gives me. You can do that directly with the GPS.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 11:12 PM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
johnhicks--I've been creating my routes using the 'new route' symbol at the top. It's been working fine so far (2 months). Just this last one didn't follow what I created.

Sky_Boss--I haven't tried to do any routes on the GPS itself. Having a hard enough time with BC.

Thanks to you both,
DICK
Acker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 09:09 AM   #35

Monaco Owners Club
It is a pain, but I will using voice add a part of the route at a time to go where I want. For instance I want to go on longer route but not change the proven settings, point A to point D is shortest and better RV route but I want to go A,B,C,D. I set A to B, then voice B to C, then to D. As I say a pain but it works.

LEN
Old 06-24-2016, 10:48 AM   #36

I am wondering if anybody might have some insight into this one. It happened with the RV760 for the second time yesterday passing through a small town with a main road north/south and another east/west. The objective is to turn left from one main road to the other. The 760 instructed me to turn left a block early, turn right a block later, and finally turn left onto the main road. It is taking a single left turn on main roads and changing it into three turns through narrow residential streets (even a grocery store parking lot). Ideas?
TwelveVolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 11:01 AM   #37
IC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwelveVolt View Post
I am wondering if anybody might have some insight into this one. It happened with the RV760 for the second time yesterday passing through a small town with a main road north/south and another east/west. The objective is to turn left from one main road to the other. The 760 instructed me to turn left a block early, turn right a block later, and finally turn left onto the main road. It is taking a single left turn on main roads and changing it into three turns through narrow residential streets (even a grocery store parking lot). Ideas?
Yep - in Custer, SD - nice little town to pull 58 combined feet of truck and 5er thru neighborhoods - not! It also sent me in a circle outside of Joplin, MO. That's why I also carry decent state maps - though that too is not foolproof. If you do a full trip itinerary of roads on that GPS (tap the top bar), it will let you know that some streets/roads are not primary.
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 11:03 AM   #38

I've seen that a time or two; the recommended route may be a tad shorter
Old 06-24-2016, 11:21 AM   #39

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
You might just check your settings and see if anything got messed up... I don't have a specific RV GPS from Garmin, but I do have a general purpose one, and when we use the RV we frequently will set it to 'truck' and sometimes, it does give strange directions from that!
Old 06-24-2016, 11:44 AM   #40

Send the info to Garmin and let them check it out. I've never had mine send me through a neighborhood in RV mode, car mode is a different story. It can also be a difference in shortest vs quickest route setting.
Old 06-24-2016, 12:43 PM   #41

Tiffin Owners Club
We went thru a similar situation last year when we used our Rand McNally RV unit, it took us down every back road that it could find. It took us HOURS to go what should have taken us half that time to get to a major interstate. We learned....we drive to the nearest major highway and then set it.
On the Road with 13 Rescued Cats
LynnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 02:28 PM   #42
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Did you have the 760 set to RV mode? It will sometimes do quirky things with routes when it is set for automobile mode, which is the default. Also, are you certain that left turns are permitted at that intersection?
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps