Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-05-2013, 03:52 PM   #1

H2O heater question

I have a Suburban SW10 DE water heater in my coach. As far as I know, I've never before run it on propane, it only seems to work when I have AC power.

Today when I hooked up to shore power my wife turned on the water heater using a rocker switch over the cooktop. I usually turn it on with a switch that looks like a house light switch near the door. It has a red LED on the switch housing that illuminates when it's switched on.

Today, with shore power and the switch over the cooktop on, my heater fired up on propane. It sounded like a jet engine and got the water so hot that water began to drip from the pressure relief valve. I've looked in the manual but I can't find anything that details running on gas versus electricity or both.

Can anyone school me?
Koop is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2013, 04:23 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The propane heater and electric coil might not be inter-connected and were both running if switched on. Some folks like that because it decreases the time to recover (makes hot water faster).

Both heaters should be temperature controlled and will shut-off at a preset heat level.

Yes, the water heater makes a fantastic sound on propane...not to worry.

Hot water expands - the dripping relief valve is just a sign that it is about time to replace it. Mine drips when the water is getting hot too, but a quick snap of the arm reseals the valve and stops the dripping...but I really need to replace it.

Sound like everything is working properly.

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 04:51 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
The rocker switch on the heater itself is to engage the electric element, the red switch is to activate the propane and the piezo igniter. Now this is important-- the red light on the switch comes on ONLY if propane valve to the burner is on, but the burner IS NOT FIRING YET. As soon as the burner fires, the light should go out. If the burner doesn't light after a short time (because say, the peizo igniter isn't working or the propane tank is shut off) the heater will turn off the piezo pilot and gas to the burner, AND the red light on the switch! Once you start using propane regularly, you'll notice the red light pop on and off as the burner fires.

Because the light doesn't just stay on, you have check the switch position! And I've seen more than one switch mounted so "on" was DOWN, and also some switches aren't marked for on & off..

As for running both at the same time, it's okay to do it, but if you're paying for electric, no reason to waste your propane!

You might want to check your temperature while on propane. Dripping from the relief valve, that usually happens from USING it, just a little bit of calcium build-up will cause them to leak. How I stop the leak is to GENTLY smack the end of the small rod protruding thru the handle a few times with the handle of a bigger screwdriver, that re-seats the valve (for me anyway)
PlayItForwrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 06:29 PM   #4

Thanks for the responses. I'm still unclear on why the propane ran today and never did in the past. What am I missing?
Old 08-05-2013, 06:57 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Couldn't tell you why it didn't work before but with mine when I have the gas heating on the red light stays lit the entire time it is on.

Every RV I've had leaked a bit from the relief valve. Will usually run the hot water at the kitchen sink for a second or two and drop the pressure.

We will run both if the water hasn't had sufficent time to heat or we have guests all taking showers.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 07:23 PM   #6

Thanks Arch.

Tags
heater