Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-24-2019, 03:09 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Has anyone ever had a Dometic fridge board tested

Has anyone ever had a Dometic fridge board tested to see if it was bad or not? I have a couple of them because of a service tech who said "replace the board" repeatedly. I would keep them for spares if they were good. I am also curious.
33' 2008 National Tropical on a Freightliner chassis.We tow a 2001 XJ (Cherokee) RVM#189
Kahoona is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2019, 03:51 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahoona View Post
Has anyone ever had a Dometic fridge board tested to see if it was bad or not? I have a couple of them because of a service tech who said "replace the board" repeatedly. I would keep them for spares if they were good. I am also curious.
I can only presume you were having a problem with your fridge before it was suggested you replace the circuit board. Did replacing the board correct the problem? If so it would stand to reason the board was bad. If the problem still existed what did you do to correct it?
Lynn
Old 08-24-2019, 04:06 PM   #3

I have not tested my board. Perhaps this site will help. I highly recommend their boards.

Dinosaur Electronics:
Dinosaur Electronics Home. High quality circuit boards for RV appliances.
Available from R&G Electronics (800) 390-3908
Old 08-24-2019, 05:03 PM   #4

I test the board while still installed to determine if needing to replace
If I replace the board I toss out the old one...otherwise why replace it

A good RV REPAIR Shop should have a circuit board tester.
Can purchase one for roughly $200
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 12:30 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
These boards have multiple functions, virtually all of which can be troubleshot with a meter. If replacement cures the problem, the old board is toast; if not, reinstall the old and keep the new for later use. I don’t see the need for further testing.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 06:03 AM   #6

When I bought my MH the previous owner who is a friend of mine told me the fridge worked fine on propane but not on 110V. He had had the fridge checked at a repair shop and they told him the circuit board was bad and needed replacing. He bought the board but didn't get around to installing it as he wasn't using the MH anyway. The MH was just sitting in his pole barn.
After I got the MH home I started checking the fridge out. After checking all the 120V. breakers I went out and checked the outlet inside the vent opening with a multi-meter. Probing the outlet I had 120V. at the plug. I plugged my wife's hair dryer in and it would not work. I removed the plug's cover and checked for voltage where the wires attached to the outlet. I had 110V. there. I replaced the outlet and when I plugged the hair dryer in the hair dryer worked fine. After I plugged the cord for the fridge in the fridge started working and has worked ever since.
My conclusion to this was the probes on my multi-meter are longer than the prongs on the fridge cord's plug or the hair dryer. The terminals in the socket were worn or had lost spring tension from the weight of the excess cord and plug bouncing around while the MH was being driven. I have anchored the cord so nothing will move.
Lynn
Old 08-25-2019, 07:32 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thank you for the replies. I want to test the two boards I have to see if they are good and worth keeping or bad and not worse keeping. As a Dometic owner I know I may have to change boards again. I have sent boards or boxes in from other manufactures to have them checked and hoped that it could be done with Dometic. The Dometic site is convoluted and I can't tell whether they will do that or not. I had hoped that one of you had thought to do that and could tell me how.
33' 2008 National Tropical on a Freightliner chassis.We tow a 2001 XJ (Cherokee) RVM#189
Old 08-26-2019, 08:34 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
These boards have multiple functions, virtually all of which can be troubleshot with a meter. If replacement cures the problem, the old board is toast; if not, reinstall the old and keep the new for later use. I don’t see the need for further testing.
Caution, Rant
If you must know The last 2 techs to work on it said "replace the board" with remarkably little testing. The fridge still did not work and they both said "Must be a bad board I'll get another one" In both cases I had to remain where I was staying while the boards came in. I left without waiting for the second one. I have these 2 boards and wonder if they were good. I have since replaced the igniter (and the board just in case) and it works on gas only. The first tech also had me buy three inverters before he found a burnt fuse block. I was able to return them.
Sorry for the rant but you asked. I now have the Diagnostic service manual. Is that where I find out how to test these boards? That would be great. How can a hundred dollar an hour tech not know how to check a board?

Tags
dometic, fridge, test