RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-15-2015, 02:38 PM   #15

I plan to use a heat tape again this year, as I have for many years without real problems. But this year, I've bought a shorter hose (10') and so will buy a shorter heat tape. Question: If I extend the heat tape to cover connections at both ends, how long of a heat tape will I need for the 10 foot hose? What do you cover the connection to the trailer with? In the past, I've had problems only with that connection sometimes freezing because the heat tape did not cover it. I did wrap it in foam insulation and duck tape, and usually that worked okay.
I live in a valley in Idaho where the winters are fairly mild, very seldom getting as low as 10 degrees above zero and usually no colder than 20 degrees. It normally warms up in the daytime into the 50s. I was colder when I lived in Texas.
I've also never before covered the hose with aluminum foil first but will do that this year before applying the heat tape and then the hose insulation.

lanahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2015, 02:48 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Buy one a little longer than you think is necessary. Spiral the heat tape if you start to get to the end, just do not cross the heat tape across its self.. Did this at Fernley Nevada.

Sticks4748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 02:59 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
We just opted for the heated hose like here
Old 09-15-2015, 03:00 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanahi View Post
I was colder when I lived in Texas.
I've also never before covered the hose with aluminum foil first but will do that this year before applying the heat tape and then the hose insulation.

lanahi; Welcome to iRV2 .
You sure found an old post to tag you question onto, surprised you could still add to it.
When I spent any time in cold country, where I needed to add heat tape to my water line , I would lay the hose out on a board or plywood pieces to get it up off the ground, and make sure as much of the hose as possible was under the shelter of the RV. For a 10' hose , 12' of heat tape should be good , but you'll probably only be able to buy it in a 15' length. Be careful that the length on the package doesn't include the cord and plug. Check the heat rating on any insulation you buy , some pipe wrap would melt against the heat tape.
If you need to ask questions here in the forums , better to start your own thread/post, rather than attach to one as old as this one, more people will see it, and respond.
Old 09-16-2015, 09:26 PM   #19

Sorry, did not check the dates on this thread. But you answered my question.

I did buy a 12" heat tape. I had to order a 10 foot hose online because the shortest they sell him here is 25 feet. That should be here tomorrow, so then I can get it all taken care of.

How do you wrap the connection at the trailer end of the hose? The other end at the city water hook-up will be wrapped in insulation with a plastic bucket over the whole thing. Hopefully I will have some of the heat tape at each end to prevent freezing at those spots.

Thanks for your help!
Old 09-16-2015, 10:21 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
We just opted for the heated hose like here

Hope yours lasts longer than ours did!

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 09:44 AM   #21

I've read that the heated hoses do have problems or I'd get one of those instead. One of the problems seems to be at the cheap connections themselves. My new hose has metal connectors. At least the heat strips work and are far less expensive. I leave the heat strip and insulation in place all year but simply unplug it when the weather is warmer. The insulation also helps in the summer when the temperatures are in the 90s and higher. I could also exchange the whole assembly for a "summer" one, I suppose, although I see no reason to do that.
Old 09-18-2015, 10:30 AM   #22

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
They make a hose with built in heat tape. Very expensive, I recommend not.

Now what I'm about to type should be preceeded by "how cold do you think it will get" 20 degrees this works 10 it might if your RV is modified, below that I have not tested.

I took a string of rope lights (the incandascent type, not LED) and a couple rolls of fancy duct tape and joined the lights to the hose.. I have a termostatic outlet (35 on 45 off as I recall) I plug in the outlet, plug the rope lights into the outlet and when the mercury goes down the hose lights up. Good down to around 10.. Below that my modified motor home is in danger of freezing.

(The mods included adding lights (Iincandascent) in all enclosed wet bays)

At 11 degrees I did have one line freeze, but pex can do that without damage (the connectors however are another thing) Connectors were all near lights so they did not freeze, Only the line froze. and thawed in the AM.. had to flush the toilet with HOT water overnight (Fill big measuring cup with HOT from sink.. Use to "Flush" by pouring, actually works better than the built in line but hey.. It worked is the important thing).
Old 09-19-2015, 11:35 AM   #23

Tell me more about your modifications.
Old 09-19-2015, 10:53 PM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I bought an electric hose in the fall of 2012. Going into our fourth winter.

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12
'02 DS, FL, 3126, '04 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 12:16 AM   #25

Half a winter and mine shorted through the hose. Created a lake in the wet bay

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum

firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote