Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-07-2014, 08:50 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
HELP- 12v Electrical Issues

I am having 12v electrical issues which include the jacks blowing a 15a fuse when pressing the jacks down button, the lights will dim when turning more lights on, the battery disconnect switch does not actually disconnect the 12v system, the interconnect switch (battery boost) does not seem to work. It does not seem to matter if the batteries are being charged while any of these issues occur.

Some or all of this has developed while working on the generator starting problem I have been struggling with for some time. It seems that all of these issues could be from low amps. Voltage is ~14 when charging and ~12.9 when not. The original batteries may be about 8 years old.

I had all 4 batteries tested with a hydrometer and they all showed good. Then I had them load tested and one showed bad. I replaced that battery with a new Trojan T-105 the other day but all the issues still remain.

If one or more of the older batteries are actually bad or poor, would they pull everything down and cause most or all of these issues? I am planning to get 3 more new batteries tomorrow unless someone can point in another direction.

And why would the batteries show good on hydrometer and load test if they are bad or low? And yes,I have cleaned and secured every ground I could find.

John
zzjea is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2014, 10:56 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
12v and battery issues can maybe help you in this link.
You need to make sure all the battery cables to chassis frame are clean and tight plus Gen, inverter/converter grounds to frame also.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 10:28 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Update

I just put in 3 more new Trojan T-105 batteries and nothing has changed. They are charging in the coach now but were at 6.25 when installed. I had hoped this would have solved most if not all of my issues.

The old Interstates were about 8 years old, so I don't feel too bad about replacing them anyway.

Still open for ideas or suggestions......

John
Old 09-09-2014, 10:37 AM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
I'd check all cable connections, especially the ground connections to the chassis. It sounds like there is resistance preventing power getting to your 12 v systems. The fuse blowing to the jacks indicates that resistance. As voltage goes down, amperage goes up to power things. The jacks could be drawing enough amperage at lower than expected voltage to cause the fuse to blow.

If the connections are hard to find, test the hypothesis by using a jumper cable to connect battery ground to chassis. See if the issues still show. If not, then you have more incentive to track down the 'dirty' ground.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 12:06 PM   #5

I am having the same problems have you figured it out yet
TRD1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 12:12 PM   #6

is the problem the same when the genset is running or you are connected to shore power? Does the voltage on the house batteries still show low when on shore power?
Old 10-26-2014, 02:33 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRD1976 View Post
I am having the same problems have you figured it out yet
Yes. After 4 new T-105 batteries and a new starter. I am ok with this however as the batteries were about 8 years old and the starter had a stuck bendix.

However, the issue with the generator, the jacks and lights dimming, it was a loose nut on the hot side of the disconnect solenoid. I tightened it and everything worked. The solenoid was hidden behind the 12v distribution panel and was not easily seen. Would have looked earlier but the loose nut was not noticeable. It looked ok to the eye.

Hope this helps. Of course I cleaned and tightened all the grounds before I found the positive bad connection. Spent a lot of time and $ looking for a bad ground....

John
Old 10-26-2014, 02:54 PM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzjea View Post
Yes. After 4 new T-105 batteries and a new starter. I am ok with this however as the batteries were about 8 years old and the starter had a stuck bendix.

However, the issue with the generator, the jacks and lights dimming, it was a loose nut on the hot side of the disconnect solenoid. I tightened it and everything worked. The solenoid was hidden behind the 12v distribution panel and was not easily seen. Would have looked earlier but the loose nut was not noticeable. It looked ok to the eye.

Hope this helps. Of course I cleaned and tightened all the grounds before I found the positive bad connection. Spent a lot of time and $ looking for a bad ground....

John
I'm glad you found it was a loose connection. Did you try using a jumper cable to ground to check if the ground was the bad connection? I find using a jumper wire to test goes a long way to finding such issues. It can determine if it's a ground connection, a bad switch or relay contacts, etc.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 03:15 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
I'm glad you found it was a loose connection. Did you try using a jumper cable to ground to check if the ground was the bad connection? I find using a jumper wire to test goes a long way to finding such issues. It can determine if it's a ground connection, a bad switch or relay contacts, etc.
Yes I tried that early on. I finally tried 'jumping' from the pos. battery terminal directly to the gen/jacks cable at the 12v dist. panel. That gave me encouragement (good voltage) so I then knew it must be the 12v dist. panel or one of the solenoids (interconnect or disconnect).

Tags
electrical