RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-04-2015, 08:52 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
c5man99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Lake Wales, Fl
Posts: 20
HELP! Battery(Chassis/Start) not charging/RV Boast inop.

Hello,
I am having troubles charging my start batteries. The house batteries charge fine. Finally, the start batteries are so low, 11.8v, the DP will not start. The boost sw will not engage the house batteries----no start!
It was suggested to me that a solenoid was bad. Anyone agree or have another idea?
If it is a solenoid, which one?
I have a 2007 Fleetwood Discovery
Thanks,
Marc....c5man99
__________________

__________________
The road well traveled is the ONLY way to go
c5man99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2015, 09:24 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Old Bounder's Avatar
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by c5man99 View Post
Hello,
I am having troubles charging my start batteries. The house batteries charge fine. Finally, the start batteries are so low, 11.8v, the DP will not start. The boost sw will not engage the house batteries----no start!
It was suggested to me that a solenoid was bad. Anyone agree or have another idea?
If it is a solenoid, which one?
I have a 2007 Fleetwood Discovery
Thanks,
Marc....c5man99
Mark, can you tell me if your coach has the Battery Control Center made by RV-Custom Products or the one built by Intellitec? I can provide trouble shooting and test procedures for either.

To start the engine, you can always locate the isolator solenoid and jumper the two large terminals together with a jumper cable. You can remove the jumper once the engine is started.

The Isolator solenoid will be the one located very near the batteries and have a large battery cable from each of the chassis and house battery banks.
__________________

__________________
'97 Bounder 34V, F53 7.5L-460
Old Bounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 09:47 PM   #3
Junior Member
 
c5man99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Lake Wales, Fl
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Bounder View Post
Mark, can you tell me if your coach has the Battery Control Center made by RV-Custom Products or the one built by Intellitec? I can provide trouble shooting and test procedures for either.

To start the engine, you can always locate the isolator solenoid and jumper the two large terminals together with a jumper cable. You can remove the jumper once the engine is started.

The Isolator solenoid will be the one located very near the batteries and have a large battery cable from each of the chassis and house battery banks.
Old Bounder,
Thanks for the info..
I have an Intellitec.
Any trouble shooting and test info. will be greatly appreciated!
Marc
__________________
The road well traveled is the ONLY way to go
c5man99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 10:04 PM   #4
Junior Member
 
c5man99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Lake Wales, Fl
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by c5man99 View Post
Old Bounder,
Thanks for the info..
I have an Intellitec.
Any trouble shooting and test info. will be greatly appreciated!
Marc
Old Bounder,
After thinking about it, I think I damaged the Isolator solenoid after applying incorrect voltage to the coach. I noticed, when replacing a fuse in the inverter/charger, that the solenoid was opening and closing back and forth. Do you agree this could be the problem?
Marc
__________________
The road well traveled is the ONLY way to go
c5man99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 10:31 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Old Bounder's Avatar
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by c5man99 View Post
Old Bounder,
After thinking about it, I think I damaged the Isolator solenoid after applying incorrect voltage to the coach. I noticed, when replacing a fuse in the inverter/charger, that the solenoid was opening and closing back and forth. Do you agree this could be the problem?
Marc
I doubt that you could damage that solenoid by plugging into the wrong ac source. The solenoid only receives low voltage from a 12v source. It's pretty much isolated from the 120vac inputs. Depending on the charged state of your batteries, that clicking could be normal. (unless it refused to stop)

With that said, the solenoid could still be defective. The internal contacts could be failing to make good contact.

Here is the document needed to troubleshoot your BCC problems. It also contains info on the battery disconnects.

Let me know if this is not the correct info for your BCC.
__________________
'97 Bounder 34V, F53 7.5L-460
Old Bounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 03:03 PM   #6
Junior Member
 
c5man99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Lake Wales, Fl
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Bounder View Post
I doubt that you could damage that solenoid by plugging into the wrong ac source. The solenoid only receives low voltage from a 12v source. It's pretty much isolated from the 120vac inputs. Depending on the charged state of your batteries, that clicking could be normal. (unless it refused to stop)

With that said, the solenoid could still be defective. The internal contacts could be failing to make good contact.

Here is the document needed to troubleshoot your BCC problems. It also contains info on the battery disconnects.

Let me know if this is not the correct info for your BCC.
Old Bounder,
Thank you...these are the correct doc's for my system!
I tried as you suggested, jumping the two battery posts on the isolator solenoid. The jumper was to light (light duty) it overheated quickly and not enough amps flowing to start. When my wife hit the aux. start and cranked.....I heard the solenoid chatter. It made a slight difference but not enough. I still thing the solenoid is bad. I think I will swap it out and see. What do you think?
I will try to start the engine with my jumper box as soon as it is fully charged.
Marc
__________________
The road well traveled is the ONLY way to go
c5man99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 04:35 PM   #7
Junior Member
 
R2V2 Beep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Cincinnati oHIo 93 Fleetwood Pace Arrow DP
Posts: 19
Batteries not charging

I would like to chime in on this topic. I have a 1993 Fleetwood Pace arrow DP.
My chassi batteries are not charging when i am on shore power, only the coach batteries. I read a section in the manual and from what i read and understand is that the chassi batteries do NOT charge on shore power thru the converter. Would you agree to that or not?
Thanks for any help.
R2V2 Beep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 05:13 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Old Bounder's Avatar
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by c5man99 View Post
Old Bounder,
Thank you...these are the correct doc's for my system!
I tried as you suggested, jumping the two battery posts on the isolator solenoid. The jumper was to light (light duty) it overheated quickly and not enough amps flowing to start. When my wife hit the aux. start and cranked.....I heard the solenoid chatter. It made a slight difference but not enough. I still thing the solenoid is bad. I think I will swap it out and see. What do you think?
I will try to start the engine with my jumper box as soon as it is fully charged.
Marc
Please note that I said Jumper cable. I think you have about proven that your solenoid is bad.

If there are other problems, the documentation should lead you to the source.

Make sure you use a continuous duty rated solenoid. Anything rated about 200amps should be good. When you have to use the aux start/boost function, the diesel starter can pull a load of amperage.
__________________
'97 Bounder 34V, F53 7.5L-460
Old Bounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 05:17 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Old Bounder's Avatar
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by R2V2 Beep View Post
I would like to chime in on this topic. I have a 1993 Fleetwood Pace arrow DP.
My chassi batteries are not charging when i am on shore power, only the coach batteries. I read a section in the manual and from what i read and understand is that the chassi batteries do NOT charge on shore power thru the converter. Would you agree to that or not?
Thanks for any help.
On your '93 that is the case. Fleetwood started using BCCs with the chassis battery charge capability about '95.
__________________
'97 Bounder 34V, F53 7.5L-460
Old Bounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 06:19 PM   #10
Junior Member
 
R2V2 Beep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Cincinnati oHIo 93 Fleetwood Pace Arrow DP
Posts: 19
Battery charger

OK thanks. I have a Battery Tender charger but is is only 750 milli amps output.
and i have another one that is 12 watts continuous. E/P 12/12=1 amp if i used that to charge would it be to hot for the batteries and boil them to much? I am thinking not. How about you.
R2V2 Beep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 07:35 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Old Bounder's Avatar
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by R2V2 Beep View Post
OK thanks. I have a Battery Tender charger but is is only 750 milli amps output.
and i have another one that is 12 watts continuous. E/P 12/12=1 amp if i used that to charge would it be to hot for the batteries and boil them to much? I am thinking not. How about you.
That should work. Some folks simply jumper the two battery systems together with a small jumper wire while plugged into power.
__________________
'97 Bounder 34V, F53 7.5L-460
Old Bounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 08:53 PM   #12
Junior Member
 
c5man99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Lake Wales, Fl
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Bounder View Post
Please note that I said Jumper cable. I think you have about proven that your solenoid is bad.

If there are other problems, the documentation should lead you to the source.

Make sure you use a continuous duty rated solenoid. Anything rated about 200amps should be good. When you have to use the aux start/boost function, the diesel starter can pull a load of amperage.
To be clear.....It was a jumper cable.....just a LIGHT duty one. AKA junk!
I am ordering from Fleetwood because I can not find one that has vertical posts.
I don't have the room to relocate the battery cables.
Thanks again, Marc
__________________

__________________
The road well traveled is the ONLY way to go
c5man99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
battery, charging, chassis



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RF Mogul HD Units with vGPS are INOP! Sky_Boss Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc. 38 03-24-2016 11:09 PM
Rt Low Beam inop...Bulb good Jeff H National RV Owner's Forum 4 08-03-2015 09:59 AM
Driving Lights Inop - fuse? lamps in series? caheath National RV Owner's Forum 4 02-22-2015 07:38 AM
BT Cruiser slideout inop glduke Gulf Stream Owner's Forum 1 09-06-2014 04:22 AM
Windshield Wipers Inop djdobbins1 Alpine Coach Owner's Forum 1 07-18-2014 07:25 PM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×