Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-30-2019, 09:39 PM   #1

Exclamation HELP! Grey Water Tank Not Draining!

Hi everybody! I am brand new to the RV life, as I have just started renting out a 1989 Jamboree Rallye, which has been parked and (semi)converted into a studio apartment. I have so far had very few issues with my new home, except that my grey water tank is not draining. I opened the slide valve after attaching the hose and.... nothing. No smell, no drip, as if nothing was opened. So i removed my hose and used a flexible probe about 2 feet long and put it up the pipe, hoping to dislodge any plastic piece or anything like that which might be blocking the drain. I did notice that the valve DOES open, because i removed the probe and closed it, and again tried to insert the probe and it would only go about an inch into the pipe. I am assuming this means the tanks outlet itself is clogged and nothing can even get to the drain pipe. My meter is now reading the tank as full, and I am worried to do dishes and end up with a water backup problem.

Does anybody have ANY suggestions on how I might clear the drain, maybe a chemical of some type I can put in there, though my tank is now full, or some other method of clearing the pipe.

Side note: even accessing the valve system is very difficult as my new home is parked with only about 8 inches of clearance between the fence and the motorhome. So I'm really hoping for a chemical I can use so I don't have to spend any more time crammed in that tiny space than necessary.

Edit: I just want to clarify that the motorhome can not be driven with the methods used to convert it into an apartment. It has been coated in sheet metal and has a roof top garden, and supposedly does run, but can not be easily driven in any sense.
RvRenterCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2019, 09:48 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
https://www.lowes.com/pd/general-wir...CABEgJ_2vD_BwE

I would try one of these.

I don't think adding a drain cleaner at this time would be a good idea.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 09:53 PM   #3

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I would not trust the meters. Mine show full when empty sometimes. Open the valve then have someone turn on the water in the sink and see if water comes out
Old 05-30-2019, 09:59 PM   #4

Valve closed and probe would only go about an INCH up pipe?
THAT would mean valve is right at end of pipe.......

Typically Black tank drain pipe and Grey Tank drain pipe come together and drain thru common header.

Valves should be further up on separate tank drain lines prior to the common drain header.

Really does sound like Grey Tank drain valve is NOT opening.
(tank cutout discs have been left in tanks during construction and can block tank outlet but this is a 30 year old RV....disc would have been an issue LONG time ago)
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 11:14 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

The only chemical I can suggest is the Happy Camper Extreme tank treatment. You can get it on Amazon.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 11:21 AM   #6

Our guess agrees with Old-Biscuit, that you are opening the "safety" valve at the end of the pipes. This valve was put in to keep you from getting a face full when you open the end cap to attach the 4" line to the camp ground sewer.

Follow the pipe up and you will probably find two more valves; one for black and one for gray.
MingusPirate is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clog, grey water, grey water tank, tank, water