Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-07-2013, 07:18 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Statgeek Send a message via MSN to Statgeek Send a message via Yahoo to Statgeek
Help! Hot water heater isn't starting?

Hi folks. Need a little help please. We have a new 2013 Coachman Mirada 34bh with an electronic ignition dometic hot water heater. We are on our first long trip but have has several successful weekends with no problems. This morning I discovered that for some reason our hot water heater decided not to work. We have the electronic ignition and when I flip the switch inside it normally clicks until it lights, but now it sits quietly.

The indoor switch is getting power- it lights up blue when I turn it on. I double checked breakers--nothing popped.

Per instructions on the metal door outside, I turned it off and waited 30+ seconds and tried again--nothing.

I'm. Lose to a camping world if I need parts but don't know where to begin? Help??
Statgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2013, 07:19 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Statgeek Send a message via MSN to Statgeek Send a message via Yahoo to Statgeek
(Sorry about the typos--smart phone keys...'nuf said.)
Old 08-07-2013, 07:36 AM   #3

Presume you have propane and it works with other appliances. Try that first.

Then I suggest you have someone activate the HW switch while you have the outside door open and look or listen for a spark when the switch is selected. Sometimes the spark gap is a problem, or if the insulator is cracked it might short out. Had to replace my igniter electrodes one time because of a crack. Check for debris spiders etc around the igniter probe areas also.

The next check you can do with your multimeter. There will likely be a propane activation selonoid near the heater. See if that selonoid is working when you activate the on switch. You could just put your hand on the selonoid and feel the action also.

Hope this helps
Libero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 08:12 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks. I already verified that there is no spark action when I look while wife turns on switch. And it's clean as new in there so I don't think we have debris problems yet.

Does the igniter make noise even if it's too far away or too close to make a spark? I get no clicking noises at all?
Old 08-07-2013, 08:19 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Also..what does that solenoid look like? I'm gonna be reaching in w my hand so kinda want a target to aim for.

Thanks much
Old 08-07-2013, 09:20 AM   #6

Re solonoid

Trace the gas line back from the burner, it will go into a box like device with 12v wires connected to it, I think most HW systems have a solenoid to open/close the propane flow as appropriate. The line from the tank will also go to this selonoid,

It only takes a small amount of debris to interupt the flow of propane in the very small orfice leading to the flame chamber. I cleaned my fridge lines with air and it cleaned out something I could not detect by looking at it.
Libero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 09:45 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
So..blow some air into the area where the starter goes? Will do but I get no clicking noise to begin with. I verified no open 12v fuses. Kinda stuck here...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1647517350.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	490.1 KB
ID:	43736  
Old 08-07-2013, 09:52 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Also--verified that I have plenty of LP- the refridge will run on it, plus my bypass where I connect a grill had LP too.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:53 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Make of heater may help.
Atwood sometimes blows a flame fuse that can be bypassed to see it it will work.

On edit see your picture. it is a Atwood.
At the brown wire unhook from the clear plastic fuse. bypass the fuse and hook brown wire direct. If it now works. Get a new fuse to replace bad one.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 09:59 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Also--mistake on original post. This is an Atwood water heater, not Dometic
Old 08-07-2013, 10:01 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post
Make of heater may help.
Atwood sometimes blows a flame fuse that can be bypassed to see it it will work.

On edit see your picture. it is a Atwood.
At the brown wire unhook from the clear plastic fuse. bypass the fuse and hook brown wire direct. If it now works. Get a new fuse to replace bad one.
Thank you for this! I yanked that fuse and boy is it tiny! Can't tell if it died or not... Can I just pull out that brown wire from the plastic housing without damaging it?? Or are you suggesting I cut it??
Old 08-07-2013, 10:14 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statgeek View Post

Thank you for this! I yanked that fuse and boy is it tiny! Can't tell if it died or not... Can I just pull out that brown wire from the plastic housing without damaging it?? Or are you suggesting I cut it??
Update--tried bypassing the fuse with my pliers and still got nothing. Any other ideas?
Old 08-07-2013, 10:25 AM   #13

I can't help you directly with trouble shooting the problem, at least not any more than the above posters.

You said it is a new 2013 motorhome? Have you called the selling dealer to see if they can provide any assistance as I suspect you are still under warranty? They might be able to locate a mobile tech to send out and fix your problem.
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 10:54 AM   #14

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Call the dealer, call Atwood.
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote