Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-15-2018, 06:52 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Help! Refrigerator

I'm leaving on a trip tomorrow and turned on the LP on my refrigerator. The freezer is feeling cold but I can't see any temperature change in the main refrig area. It's still warm.

What do I do? What do I check?
russue125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2018, 07:08 PM   #2

Check for the scent of ammonia or signs of yellow powder around the burner.
Old 09-15-2018, 07:15 PM   #3

Pick up a refrig thermometer (I like digital) and mount it inside the refrig. This will take the guess work out of how cold the refrig is for future reference.
It could be a thermistor gone bad which happened to our refrig once. I believe the freezer also worked fine then while the refrig was warm. You can unplug the thermistor and the refrig should work on full cold mode, which should be OK for a trip. Our Norcold refrig thermistor was clipped to the cooling fins and the elec plug was located near the inside light. Thermistor is a $10 part, easy to replace.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 10:53 PM   #4

Freezer has to get down to 10*F before food compartment can cool down enough to use.

Patience......

RV/Fridge is 'level'---correct?
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 11:16 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My Norcold 4 door takes about 24 hours to cool down. I turn it on a couple days before our trip.

Also we prechill everything that goes inside it.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 10:00 AM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Freezer has to get down to 10*F before food compartment can cool down enough to use.

Patience......

RV/Fridge is 'level'---correct?

X2! We let ours cool overnight before use.
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 03:46 PM   #7

Mine concerned me the first time I used it as the freezer got cold fast (water bottles frozen in 36 hours) but refrigerator was VERY slow. My experience is it takes about 72 hours for the NORCOLD model 1210IM to reach a satisfactory cold temp. I don’t have a thermometer to tell exactly where it is but it keeps drinks at a cold enough temperature for me. I use mine in Las Vegas, NV so it must work to overcome our fall temps currently running just a hair under 100 degrees. Once it’s cold it seems to maintain the temperatures.

My coach is a 2010 model with the original unit that has never been touched. The original owner used it for six months each year to “winter” in Las Vegas, NV and I use it throughout the year for week to month long stays. I have learned to bring coach out of storage three days before departing on my trips and the unit is ready by “lift off time”. Some, maybe a lot, complain about the NORCOLD and I might just be lucky. At a Rally now and many people have converted to residential units. I will do so when this one gives up but, for now, it does what I expect it to do.

Mr B1LL (Rally Master) at iRV2 2018 Rally in Pahrump, NV just outside Las Vegas
Mrb1ll is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigerator