Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-05-2016, 07:17 AM   #1

Help Replacing Onan Starter

I've got an Onan 5BGE and I think the starter is out, it just makes an awful grinding sound when trying to start. Engine is not frozen up as I can turn it over with an allen wrench.

I've tried to remove the starter and got the top bolt out and found out that it has a captured nut on the backside that fell out when I removed the bolt instead of a tapped hole. I can get to the bottom bolt with a socket and extension but I can't reach the bottom nut on the back side to replace it when it would fall out.

I don't have the resources to remove the generator itself sitting in my driveway so unless I find a way to get to that lower nut, I'll have to take it into the Onan dealer.
jcgribks is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2016, 08:16 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I have a different model but I suspect that the for replacing the starter the Genset would typically need to be removed. It's a pain to remove but not as bad as you would think.

Do you have the manual?
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 09:14 AM   #3

yes I have the original owners and install manual. I was just wishing that there was an easier way than removing the whole generator. I've got an motorcycle jack that would work but my driveway is at a slight slope. I thought about cutting a hole through the back case mount to fit my hand through to get to the lower nut. I'll look at it again tonight to see.
Old 07-05-2016, 09:16 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
You could go over to Smokstak.com and do a search. I've gotten a lot of help from the old timers over there.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 09:30 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcgribks View Post
I've got an Onan 5BGE and I think the starter is out, it just makes an awful grinding sound when trying to start. Engine is not frozen up as I can turn it over with an allen wrench.

I've tried to remove the starter and got the top bolt out and found out that it has a captured nut on the backside that fell out when I removed the bolt instead of a tapped hole. I can get to the bottom bolt with a socket and extension but I can't reach the bottom nut on the back side to replace it when it would fall out.
jcgribks
Using a telescoping magnet I was able to place that nut back into the hex shape recess in the aluminum housing.
18" Telescoping Magnet
Mel
'96 Safari, 6.3 kw Onan
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 10:07 AM   #6

I've got a telescoping magnet and that's how i retrieved the top nut when it fell behind the generator but with the starter being tilted so that the 2 mounting bolts are approx. 1:00 and 7:00 I didn't know if I could the lower nut back on. Not too much room on my coach to work around the generator. On the right side of the generator, I only have a small window maybe 3" tall that I can see the starter. From the front I've been using a mirror back in the right corner to try and see. I'll stick my magnet back in there to see if I might have room. I'd hate to get the starter out and not get it back in.
Old 07-05-2016, 10:24 AM   #7

just tried to register over at Smokstak.com and can't get the registration right. It keep popping up to "spell out your city, state and country" and I've done that, spelled out Olathe, Kansas,. Even tried USA, United States, United States of America and still get the same message.

Tags
onan, starter