Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2016, 03:43 PM   #1

HELP! urgent

We are meant to be moving tomorrow from Moab to Goblin valley state park where we dont have electric/water/sewage and for some reason my Generator will not run, it seems to start but will not continue run.
We have a Winnebago brave 32v with an Onan Marquis 5500 generator.

we have also lost power in our sockets down one side of the rig inside and out!

Thanks for any help you can give.
Terry
wadders is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2016, 03:51 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Gently tap the side of the carb with the handle of a screwdriver.

Maybe the float is hung up .

That doesn't work remove the screw that holds the bowl allow the fuel to drain a bit and then put the screw back in.

Maybe water in the bowl.
Chief Alen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 04:23 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Could be any number of things. When was the last time you used it? Has it been sitting without use for awhile? If yes, then your carb could be gummed up.

If this is something new, then I would suggest starting with the simple things.
Is it getting fuel? If not, are you above 1/4 tank on your main gas tank?

If you are move than 1/4 full on your gas tank and there is no or minimal fuel getting to the carb, check the fuel filter. You should be able to blow through it fairly easily (once removed). If not it could be clogged.

If the fuel filter is ok, check the fuel pump.

The last thing I can think of is the air filter, you may need to take a peek at that too.

That's all I can think of at the moment, maybe someone else will chime in with some other ideas.

Good luck!
kf6ybl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 04:26 PM   #4

Belt
Old 08-03-2016, 04:30 PM   #5

we have 3/4 of a tank of fuel, oil is ok, air filer ok. last used about a month ago.
Old 08-03-2016, 04:35 PM   #6

If it runs with the start button held, but quits when you let go, most likely it is a burned out resister in the start circuit if its an older generator or its the control board on a newer unit.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
powderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 04:40 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you continue to hold the start button down after the generator starts, does the generator continue to run until you let off the start button? I dont recall the process, but there are trouble codes to give you some idea where to start in your troubleshooting.

http://www.equinerv.com/node/2127
Old 08-03-2016, 06:54 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wadders View Post
We are meant to be moving tomorrow from Moab to Goblin valley state park where we dont have electric/water/sewage and for some reason my Generator will not run, it seems to start but will not continue run.
We have a Winnebago brave 32v with an Onan Marquis 5500 generator.

we have also lost power in our sockets down one side of the rig inside and out!

Thanks for any help you can give.
Terry
The power loss thing sounds like a tripped GFI. Check your bathroom or an outlet near the galley sink for a GFI outlet and reset it if tripped.

Not sure about the genset. I have never been around an Onan generator.

Good luck!
Old 08-03-2016, 07:25 PM   #9

Similar thing happened to me, removed the carburetor bowl and the fuel pickup extends to the bottom of the bowl. The bottom of the bowl was full of green gunk from ethanol gas corrosion reacting with the aluminum carb. The motor would run for 5-10 seconds but couldn't get enough fuel to continue running, after it died, enough fuel would seep by for it to start. Removed and cleaned everything and it ran fine after.
Old 08-03-2016, 08:36 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Same thing happened to me in Moab last month. It would start and run for 2 or 3 seconds and turn off whether I held the start switch in or not. It turned out to be a wire harness that had just come a little loose. It was in the generator housing and they had to remove the genny to find it. Hope yours is simpler, $1700.00 dollars to remove, repair and replace.
gemert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 07:42 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemert View Post
Same thing happened to me in Moab last month. It would start and run for 2 or 3 seconds and turn off whether I held the start switch in or not. It turned out to be a wire harness that had just come a little loose. It was in the generator housing and they had to remove the genny to find it. Hope yours is simpler, $1700.00 dollars to remove, repair and replace.

What a coincidence!!
Old 08-04-2016, 09:46 AM   #12

Have you changed the elevation setting on the carb? Moab is at about 4000'. I doubt that'd keep it from running, but worth setting correctly to be sure.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote