Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-20-2015, 03:56 PM   #15

And if it was dripping there is a good chance that it was coming from the adapter they screw on to fill with. But, yes, it was probably condensate water.

If you really need the hose replaced you need a gas dealer. The fittings are different so they cannot be interchanged with Plumbing or automotive in most cases. I have seen the assemblies at CW, welding supply and gas dealers. Be aware that a lot of places do not like selling them to people who they do not know are qualified to do the work.

FWIW tank pressure is in the range of 350 PSIG. If you are not used to high pressure gas at least do some research. You have the potential to make a real mess if you screw up. Of course you may no longer be around to care. ;-)
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2015, 03:59 PM   #16

KIX...many thanks for educating all/most of us!!!

The hose can be easily removed with an adjustable wrench, although I have a complete set of tools.

KIX, I do have a questioned. It seems like it leak was not noticed until the tank was almost full. is it possible it is the smaller hose that is the culprit? perhaps I should just replace both hoses?

About the tank(s) confusion: I have 2 tanks. A 28 gal for house appliances and a 40 gal for the propane generator. The smaller tank is curbside and fills directly into the tank. The larger 40 gal tank sits half way in the freightliner frame and is filled by about 15 feet of this hose.

THANK YOU, again KIX !!!
mrbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 04:16 PM   #17

Ford Super Duty Owner
This is the remote fill for the LP tank that is mounted between the motorhome frame rails. The large hose is only pressurized while the tank is being filled. As the other poster said, the small hose is always under pressure. You can get this hose from Fleetwood. I normally tell people to not buy from the factory, (the factory always gets top dollar.)but this is important for safety and I would get a replacement from Fleetwood.
Old 02-20-2015, 04:28 PM   #18

Check with your propane supplier - here in Denver, Amerigas fills and services propane bottles and accessories - they built me two new hoses for my tanks, from the tank to the transfer valve, and I'm sure they could take care of your hoses. Might be a hell of a commute, though!

Tim
Timay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 04:40 PM   #19
KIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbap View Post
KIX, I do have a questioned. It seems like it leak was not noticed until the tank was almost full. is it possible it is the smaller hose that is the culprit? perhaps I should just replace both hoses?
A few posts back I explained the function of the smaller hose. AS teh tank reaches 80% full the bleeder valve output will become liquid.

Since you haven't found the smaller hose to be leaking bfofre or after filling the tank I would not suspect the smaller hose.

More misinformation: "FWIW tank pressure is in the range of 350 PSIG"
Engineering and design uses a temperature/pressure relationship. AT 70 degrees F propane tank pressure will be approx. 127 psi. At 100 degrees F propane tank pressure will be aprox. 196 psi. To reach 350 psi the temp would have to be near 175 degrees F. Also, a FYi.....the tank relief valve will discharge pressure exceeding 375 psi (typical DOT relief valve).

It really is amazing how common propane is and how misinformed a lot of users are.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 05:22 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIX View Post
A few posts back I explained the function of the smaller hose.
Thanks again, KIX. Yes, I got the "function of the smaller hose." But since it still fills as you say, "until the liquid level in the tank reaches the level of the bleeder; and since the dripping problem was noticed as the tank filled (maybe just coincidental), perhaps its the smaller hose leaking. Given the age of the unit, and these hoses, I'll check out replacing them both!

Many, many thanks to all that have responded. Please feel free to comment further.
Thank you!
mrbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 07:38 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIX View Post
With all due respect to your haz mat training you are ABSOLUTELY wrong. Flare fittings in LPG systems are not used in the high pressure part of the system.

And you can stand by your statement that propane will not drip but that's not correct either.

Just wondering how much time you've spent refilling propane tanks?
Thanks KIX for stepping up to help the OP out, I went out for a drive and dinner.........and a thanks for you "Expertise" in "Propane"One-O-One
Sounds like you know just about as much as I do about Propane
OP - if you get the lengths of the hose's you need, search online.......for them......Cheaper than OEM, and you ought to be able to find them without to much trouble.
Old 02-20-2015, 08:04 PM   #22

Regarding those drips? They're so cold, they'll burn you immediately. Instant frostbite. Do not let something like that touch your skin for any reason. There's no point in learning that lesson again the hard way...

To expand a little on what KIX was saying about the smaller line? It's only going to see liquid when the tank gets to or exceeds the 80% level. Appearance of liquid coming from it (or "spitting") is the signal to the attendant the tank is full, time to shut the fill process down immediately.

Not being there when the "drips" appeared, I have to wonder if this might not have been a normal occurrence, with everything working as designed?

Soooo, before further action is taken, wondering if it might be a good idea to have it refilled (even if it only takes a quart), this time by a known pro, who has been briefed on the issue at hand? That's how I'd handle it anyway. -Al
Old 02-20-2015, 08:13 PM   #23

Wow what a twisted bunch of misinformation and the guys who have mostly correct answers are shot down. First it is a ASME tank not a DOT cylinder so the max pressure is 312psi which is where the relief valve will open. Second the small hose is part of the fixed liquid level gauge it is set to release liquid at the 80% full point. You open it during filling and when liquid appears the tank is 80% full which is legal maximum. The large hose in question is the fill hose that goes from the remote to the OPD fill port on the tank. The OPD fill port is a safety valve that has a float to shut off filling once it reaches 80% full as well. During filling this hose is full of liquid LP so it will certainly drip liquid if it leaks. If you don't believe me feel free to touch this liquid as it will be -44f so prepare for frostbite if you touch it. Most likely you will have a 1/2 pipe thread at the OPD fill port and a JIC fitting at the remote fill end. It is very often a common HYD hose used to make this and can be made at most hose shops. Unless your OPD fill port is leaking you will only lose the LP that is in the line when you remove it. The OPD fill port has a one way valve built in so unless it has failed it cannot leak.
1mainiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 08:33 PM   #24

If it was dripping from a leak in the small hose, you would lose all your propane pretty quick since the small hose is always pressurized.

My bet is, if there is even a leak, it's in the big hose, and personally, since the only time the big hose is pressurized is during filling, I wouldn't rush to fix it. I'd wait for a qualified service person.
Spinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 06:09 AM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Propane does drip. I've pumped around 15,000 gallons out of my tank and it is pumped in liquid form into your tank be it a BBQ tank or a larger motorhome tank. It is not pumped in a gaseous state.

The hoses look to be a stainless steel reinforced abraision resistant textile cover such as a Parker 7243. The fittings look like Parker reusable flare fittings. If so and they are in good condition you can put the fitting in a vise, unscrew it from the hose and reuse it on the new hose. The fittings cost about $20 each, the hose is around $7 per foot. A Parker store can build or rebuild a hose for you. I build my own.

Someone stated that flare fittings are not used with LPG, that is not true, flare fittings are common in LPG service. The photo appears to show a pipe thread to flare adapter that the hose is connected to.

Finally, the most common drip is from the connection at the fill valve. The connection between the refuellers hose and your service port has no gasket, it is metal to metal. If either surface is not smooth or has dirt or grit on it it will not seal and will drip liquid propane. This is very common and is what I suspect may have happened.
Old 02-21-2015, 06:27 AM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
brbap, In thinking about your "remote" fill location w/hoses extended to the location from the tank, I believe "Both" hoses would have gas pressure on them. The spitter for sure has pressure right to the spitter. As for the fill connection, there is a double back check valve built into the fill, so I am going to say, there is pressure on both of the hoses to the remote location.
Old 02-21-2015, 06:39 AM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
there is pressure on both of the hoses to the remote location.
I agree.
Old 02-21-2015, 06:55 AM   #28

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I do agree propane does not drip, had there been a leak, even a tiny pin hole there woudl have been a whilte cloud,, The reason is that propane is going into the tank at well over 100 PSI, when it is exposed to normal air pressure (roughly 14 PSI) it vaporises, at around forty below zero your choice o C or F, (makes no difference at -40).

What can happen is this: Pressure in the line can be quite high (Several hundred pounds) as the liquid nears the RV tank pressure lowers, this allows it to absorbe heat, this causes condensation on the hose, and THIS,,, drips.

If you remain concerned... Talk to a propane PROFESSIONAL, not a pump jockey at a gas station or hardware store or dealer, but a propane PROFESSIONAL.

You know the type, they have BIG and I mean BIG tanks and trucks that deliver bulk or bottled.

If you are in south, central, lower Mi there is one at an address I know well,, A former Dairy farm (I grew up on) is now a Propane Tank Farm... Funny story about getting propane there.

Tags
propane