Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-28-2015, 01:10 PM   #1

Help with selection of diesel or LP replacement generator

My Cummins Onan QD 3200 Diesel RV Generator self-destructed after less than 500 hours. Cummins' quote for parts alone is over $12K, twice the new price. Given my complete dissatisfaction with Cummins service over the several years I've had this generator, I'm not looking to replace it with another one.

I need help selecting a 3000+ watt replacement generator for my 24' Diesel Sprinter Motorhome. Seems like there's little available in diesel gensets other than Onan, and I don't have $3000+ to spend anyway.

I'm thinking I could install a reasonably priced LP generator with remote start in the same location on my rig, and I'm hoping that you might have suggestions for brand and model, as well as any other factors I should take into consideration.

Thanks for your help,
Brian Cummings

24' 2009 Fleetwood Icon
Sprinter chassis motorhome
b_cummings is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2015, 01:20 PM   #2

Is the existing propane tank of enough capacity for your needs? We had a propane generator on a 26-foot Safari, and during the summer, we refilled every 2-3 days. It got to be a real pain, and pretty-much prevented us from dray camping for any extended period.

I think I would install a gasoline generator and refill it from a can before I would go back to propane. That would likely give you many possibilities, and would be very cheap. If one dies, you chuck it in a dumpster (not literally) and buy another.

Matt B
Old 01-28-2015, 01:22 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thor makes the Sprinter RV. Have you asked Thor or a dealer what choices/options of generators are they offering with orders of Sprinters.?
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 01:35 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggy Daddy View Post
Thor makes the Sprinter RV. Have you asked Thor or a dealer what choices/options of generators are they offering with orders of Sprinters.?

I think we are talking about a Fleetwood RV on a Mercedes Benz Sprinter chassis, not Thor/Keystone/Sprinter. In that line of logic, though, maybe Fleetwood could help.
Old 01-28-2015, 02:02 PM   #5

Dissatisfaction with your current generator aside, the primary consideration on the Sprinter chassis seems like it must be fuel density. Diesel is unbeatable in terms of power generated per weight and/or volume of fuel. However painful it may be, Onan is pretty well alone in this market. Very many of them run for thousands and thousands of hours with nothing more scheduled maintenance. You don't have to buy parts from Cummins-Onan. eBay is a good place to start. You may even find a running generator for a decent price.
Old 01-28-2015, 04:20 PM   #6

Thanks for the responses everyone! To address your comments or questions...

The fuel consumption of LP vs diesel is only slightly higher. We have a 20 or 24 gallon LP tank (can't remember which) which is ample for the amount of time we will run our generator.

No, I haven't checked with Fleetwood to purchase a generator. I wouldn't imagine that would be the most economical way to go, but I will check nevertheless.

And regardless of how dissatisfied I am with Onan service (at more than one location over the several years I've had this), an Onan LP generator with at least 3000 watts power is still over $3000 discounted. And our current diesel model... frankly it's beyond repair.

I know that LP generators are sold for as little as $300-$400. (I'm hoping to find a solution for under $1500.) Home Depot has a 4000 watt model for $329. But it doesn't have remote start, and it's built into a basic frame with wheels. I have no idea how difficult it would be to get this model installed in our RV and have remote start added. I also have questions about it's noise level and reliability.

I'm hoping someone here has had experience adding a reasonably priced LP generator with remote start to their rig, and was satisfied with their choice.

Thanks again,
Brian
Old 01-28-2015, 04:35 PM   #7

I doubt that buying a generator through Fleetwood will be inexpensive, though they may be convinced to do something for you given the low hours and amount of trouble you have had. They may be able to recommend a suitable replacement and some guidance on integrating it into your chassis. Do they offer a propane generator as an alternative to diesel, maybe in another market? What size tank do they use? How and where is it mounted? In all likelihood they will be utterly clueless, but on the slim chance that you can convince them to help you, I would make the call.

FWIW, I purchase both propane and #2 heating oil (off-highway diesel) at my residence. The cost per BTU of propane is absurdly higher than diesel.
Old 01-28-2015, 05:23 PM   #8
Community Moderator

Try looking at RV salvage yards.....many good working generators are available cheap.

Here is just one example

http://generators.visonerv.com/cgi-b...orsforsale.pl?

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1422490903.183733.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	84540

Here is a 3600 watt LP generator for $1750 ready to ship !

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1422490981.921199.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	107.9 KB
ID:	84541
pasdad1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 06:47 PM   #9

Thanks for the links to the used Onans. Unfortunately, even if they are a good buy, it's still above my budget. I did however look at Craigslist and found a variety of LP generators designed for use on the ground. These are the typical steel tube frame and wheels design. I wonder if people have had luck installing these into a motorhome? Sure would save a LOT of money if practical.

Anyone?
Thanks,
Brian
Old 01-29-2015, 07:01 PM   #10

i am sorry to say but 500hrs sounds really good to me most every day gen sets only last 200 hrs at most

i would give this place a call

Loetscher Auto Parts

4306 Florida 574
Plant City, FL 33563

loetscherauto.com
(813) 752-3770

they really do have good prices and is where i go all the time and they well ship to you but walking up face to face may get it for under 400$ or less guessing

keep in mind moving over to LP all so makes you unsafe to drive on some roads and places and may no longer be under DOT guidelines
terry735001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 08:30 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_cummings View Post
Thanks for the links to the used Onans. Unfortunately, even if they are a good buy, it's still above my budget. I did however look at Craigslist and found a variety of LP generators designed for use on the ground. These are the typical steel tube frame and wheels design. I wonder if people have had luck installing these into a motorhome? Sure would save a LOT of money if practical.

Anyone?
Thanks,
Brian
Might want to wait till you can up your budget.
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 08:41 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by terry735001 View Post
i am sorry to say but 500hrs sounds really good to me most every day gen sets only last 200 hrs at most

i would give this place a call

Loetscher Auto Parts

4306 Florida 574
Plant City, FL 33563

loetscherauto.com
(813) 752-3770

they really do have good prices and is where i go all the time and they well ship to you but walking up face to face may get it for under 400$ or less guessing

keep in mind moving over to LP all so makes you unsafe to drive on some roads and places and may no longer be under DOT guidelines
Say what... ??? 500 hours and kaput??? Something not right with the OPs QD dying at that point or any other Onan that I'm aware of. They - especially the diesels should run for thousands of hours with proper maintenance.

OP- I'm with the others - stick with diesel on diesel. Sure you could carry gasoline jerry cans or get by on propane. BTW - what happened to the original Unit. Just gave up the ghost?
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 04:31 PM   #13

Help with selection of diesel or LP replacement generator

Yes, to OP, so on a 5 or 6 year old rig and only 500 hrs, hmmmm?

What was specifically the matter with your Onan and maybe a brief history if you have time? We'd like to learn from this too.

And, just wondering, if you install a generator that is not designed for the road and rv, will the road jostling affect it?

2013 FleetWood Expedition 38B
dvmweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 08:58 PM   #14

Country Coach Owners Club
Sounds like the OP's generator is/was one of those where the magnets were glued on. By not exercising the generator on a regular basis to keep things dried out, the magnet glue absorbed some moisture and it finally self destructed.

Get a second opinion on repair and check with some salvage yards plus call the source listed in another post

Tags
diesel, generator, replace, replacement