Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-03-2015, 09:21 AM   #1

Holy cow! What's that burning smell?

Air excel roof air/ heat pump w/ rv products brand thermostat. Woke up this am and noticed that the thermostat in the gally read 67 degrees and the heat pump was churning away. It was very warm so the 67 degrees was WRONG. No windows or vents are open to affect the thermostat. The bedroom thermostat read 75 degrees. I turned the heat pump off and that's when the smell began. It was much cooler outside than in past days, about 47 degrees. This thermostat has always seemed inaccurate but my concern is the smell.
What's happening?
Solask is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2015, 09:29 AM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Heat pump work by pulling heat out of the air. Being it was 47 degrees there was not much to be had so the peat pump may have been working extra hard to get what heat it could. I am no fan of heat pumps for that reason.
Grandpere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 09:37 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Is the smell on the inside or outside? Maybe that thermostat finally "bit the dust" ? There is lots of heat in 47 degree outside air for the heat pumps to use....they usually keep pumping heat until outside temps go below 35 or so.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 09:41 AM   #4

Where are your thermostat sensors. Mine are on a outside wall near a window not good but hard to change.. I opened the sensor found the actual sensor stuffed in the wall. Realigned the sensor stuffed insulation it with insulation.. This modification made a big difference on accuracy.
Hurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 10:41 AM   #5

The smell is inside.. Bit confused about exterior temp. gauge mentioned. I am referring to my rvcomfort wall thermostat on the inside
Old 03-03-2015, 10:51 AM   #6

Clarification. This is a RVComfort 8330 wall thermostat. Only one heat pump and it is not configured for zones. The room was very warm and the heat pump was running, yet the reading was 67 or 68. No way that was correct. It was 47 outside. The smell did not permeate the coach until I shut the heater off.
The unit is supposed to kick on the gas furnace automatically when the room temp becomes 5 degrees lower than the set temp. I take this to mean that the heat pump must run inefficiently long enough to create this spread. The gas never came on that I can tell. I went outside and the furnace vent screens were ice cold.
It is now 58 degrees outside and the thermostat is registering the correct inside temp.. What the heck?
Old 03-03-2015, 01:12 PM   #7

I think I need to call tiffin to understand my situation better.
My perception of it is...
Woke up to a very warm main cabin. At least 73 degrees. It was 74 in the bedroom.
Heat pump was on and blowing hot air.
Thermostat in gally reads 68 degrees and set temp is 71. So of course HPs are still pumping away.
Turned off heat and was met with a strong burning motor type smell.
Everything is working fine now for some reason.

Tags
smell