Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-25-2014, 07:40 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Honda EU2000is fuel consumption report

Well, we just got back from the Daytona 500 - 6 days/5 nights of dry camping.

I've had this Honda EU2000is for several years but I just bought one of the extended fuel systems anticipating running it quite a bit during the races. Weather was cool so didn't run the a/c (and it would be a grunt to start one of them with the converter/charger running also).

I ran it a total of 66.6 hours and used 6.5 gallons of gas for a total cost of $22.45 for fuel! You can't beat that.

My Onan 7000 would have used about 60 to 70 gallons to do the same thing so unless you need the amperage, you are wasting fuel running the big one. We cranked it up twice to run the microwave, coffee pot, hair dryer all at once. Otherwise the little Honda did the work.

The overall average amperage I saw was about 7 to 9 amps as it ran my converter/charger, refrig, TV's and digital converter boxes and my wife's hair dryer and curling iron.

I also rigged a neutral/ground bond plug and it worked fine making my Progressive unit happy.
deputydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2014, 08:30 PM   #2

We run the tv, fridge, computers, and a space heater for a day and a half and over night many weekends during the winter and burn less than 5 gallons of gas. My EU2000i is 7 years old and I rigged up an extended run tank.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:47 PM   #3

Deputydog, could you elaborate on the plug. My unit works ok, but I do get an error on my powerline EMS.
Old 02-26-2014, 07:53 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The following link will take you to the best description by someone who really knows what he is talking about. Forums are great but sometimes you get bad info. This guy does it for a living. I've seen posted that using a plug like this will damage the electronics of a Honda EU2000is. IT WILL NOT - I've run mine over 100 hours already with the plug. Honda just for whatever reason thinks floating the ground is better for portable generators. Read the article and decide for yourself but I can tell you from my experience there is no issue with using the plug.

Generator Ground-Neutral Bonding | No~Shock~Zone

Hope this helps -

Cheers-
deputydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 09:02 AM   #5

Thanks much for the info.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:15 AM   #6

Honda r&d is the best. I had a 1000i for 10 years and now a 2000i for 6 years. Never had to work on them. I had Honda quads and outboards too and was impressed compared to the others I bought. When I heard they were coming out with a pickup I waited 2 years and was dissapointed with a less than 1/2 ton truck.
I wouldn't hesitate to buy anything Honda.

Tags
fuel