Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-15-2019, 09:53 PM   #15

Supplemental AC - To achieve -10F Inside On Hot * Humid Days!

Lots of good feedback!

So I went to YouTube to better understand the features and benefits of a dual exhaust hose Portable AC unit vs. single exhaust hose Portable AC unit and this is what I found:

Part 1 of this thread has to do with how to power a portable AC and I think we have those options well understood. (Much appreciation to you electricians.)

Part 2 has to do with choosing the right portable AC... with these features:

* Dual exhaust vs. single exhaust.
* 14,000 BTU or less units so you can run a 15A/20A standard plug.
* Option for self-evaporation to avoid the need to empty a water bucket and/or to plumb a drain line
* Option for Dehumidifier
* Option for Heat Pump.

REMEMBER ==> I plan to add this Portable AC unit to my RV... that only has 400 sq-ft (albeit with R10 insulation)... and this environment has a primary-basement AC unit that is both cooling and dehumidifying the air in the RV the Portable AC will be using.

That said, not everyone's experiences with a portable AC in a home will apply to an RV.

...And while one person said they used a portable AC in a boat, my guess is that this is the only AC in their boat; and therefore their "closed system" is not the same as my "closed system" in my RV (with a Basement AC).

SIDE NOTE: My RV has a basement AC and I love it... its very quiet and efficient after I got more cooling by doing this:

I Got More Cooling & Better Heat From My Basement AC Doing This! - Winnebago Owners Online Community

TO CLARIFY MY PROJECT AT HAND: I'm looking to add a second AC to my RV -- and I fully expect my primary-basement AC to be capable of keeping my inside temperature in the 80-85F range on a very hot day.

However, I also know my basement AC is working at maximum capacity; and my goal is to A) Take to strain off the basement AC; and B) To lower the inside temperature to 72-78F by adding a supplemental Portable AC unit.

QUESTIONS:

1) With a single exhaust AC working in conjunction with my basement AC, do you think I can count out dropping my inside air temperature to ~72F? .

Note: From what I have researched, the single exhaust AC is less efficient than a dual exhaust AC, in general, but that may not be considering the outside air temp over 95F; and it may be mostly based on the concept that Negative air pressure (vacuum) will suck in hot air from the outside... though all the leaks in your "closed system." So I have to wonder what benefit I would get from a dual exhaust Portable AC unit. ...And I most certainly DO NOT want to cut a second exhaust/intake hole in my slideout. So I don't see using a dual exhaust Portable AC unit as being viable.

2) Do dual exhaust Portable ACs cool any better than single exhaust ACs when the outside air temperature is over 95F and the humidity is over 70%?

3) I think my basement AC operates like a "Window AC" in a home. Is this true? I.e., I counting on it handling the air exchange to eliminate "negative air pressure" caused by the portable AC. Is this true?

In summary, I see the Portable AC operating as a "Supplemental AC." And my hope is that my basement AC will help my Portable AC unit work easier and better; and my other hope is that my supplemental Portable AC will help my basement AC work easier and better. Is this going to be true?
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2019, 10:33 PM   #16

FWIW, DW bought one of these units from QVC last year. It exhausts condensate water out the hot air exhaust hose, it does not have a drain connection,just a condensate catch pan for JIC situations.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 04:14 PM   #17

Ac types

I found this video that sums everything up.

https://interestingengineering.com/v...r-conditioners

When you watch this video, you can substitute an RV Rooftop AC for the Window AC type.

Consequently, I am now thinking I might just opt for adding a 3rd AC over my kitchen roof vent. This way most of the compressor noise will be outside (albeit there will be roof vibrations you will have to deal with), but the efficiency will be 25% better than a portable AC unit; and since I have 50A of power management control inside my RV, then I can also operate this rooftop AC on my generator at the same time my basement AC is working. ...And a rooftop AC will not take up any space in the coach; and I will not have a "flying weight" ready for catapult when I have to slam on my brakes. (Even though I could install a safety strap... it all is sounding like more work and less convenience.)

Can anyone tell me what RV Roof AC size and brand you choose to install; and what costs are? ...Maybe this is a perfect Camping World upgrade? ...or not?
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote