Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-24-2012, 10:00 PM   #1

Unhappy Hot Water Heater Main Burner Will Not Stay Lit

I have an Atwood Model G6A7 Hot water Heater Pilot Model, it has a White Rogers controller. The pilot light will lite and the main burner will ignite but only for a few seconds. I can hear the controller click and the both the pilot light and burner shuts down. You can immediately relight and start the process over again. I have cleaned the burner tube and made sure the gas jet was clear. The burner tube is align and the flame spreader is also align. I have searched the threads and the service Manuel but can't seem to find a fix. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
tonytrouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2012, 10:35 PM   #2

My water heater has a label that says to re-seat all the connectors before replacing the control board. Do each a couple of times and see it that helps.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 02:57 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
The standing pilot type gas valves have a thermal fuse that is inside the tank and if it goes bad the only repair is a new valve. What you describe is the symptoms of a bad valve, if the pilot will only stay lit in the pilot position and as soon as you move it to on it goes out.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 11:53 AM   #4

Exclamation

Im having the same issue. I have replaced the thermocouple and also the valve with no luck. Ive cleaned the burner, pipes, and connections as well.

What happens for me is the pilot light will light. If I do not try to turn the burner on, it will last for roughly 4 minutes before it goes out. If I try to turn on the burner, it will ignite for 1-2 seconds then it will shut off. I have to then take the burner out before I can relite the pilot light.

Every search says its an air flow problem. However, I have also vacuumed out all parts, the vent on the bottom of the heater, checked the flu, and the pipe in the middle of the tank. Still it will not work.

I am lost and have tried everything except for replacing the pilot light assembly. Could that be it? Or are there other sensors in the tank that is stopping the burner from firing? I did drain the tank to replace the valve. Do I have to refill it completely before it works?

Please help, at a very big loss right now.
mind logic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 01:54 PM   #5

How about a defective limit switch. I don't have your model but I believe all water heaters have limit switches to prevent the take from boiling and becoming rocket. They are not hard to change and are not that expensive. I would try it first. I believe you can test it with an ohm meter. I believe it should measure a short. If it is open the burner will shut off maybe even the pilot.
graycarpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:16 PM   #6

Thanks RV Wizard but how do i get to the thermal fuse. I think this could be the problem there is something making the control valve shut off the gas. Also good luck mind logic. Mine and your problem sounds to be the same maybe we can get the problems fix. Please keep us posted.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:26 PM   #7

Mi Atwood does it in high humidity or after a heavy rain ONLY. I've tracked it to the control board... The insulation in it has a hole in it somewhere, and allows moisture into it. If I can get it lit and warm the board up, when it shuts down, I leave it for about half an hour. The heat "cooks" the moisture out of the board and it performs perfectly for the rest of the weekend. New board being installed this weekend, btw.
rvguy40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 03:04 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonytrouble View Post
Thanks RV Wizard but how do i get to the thermal fuse. I think this could be the problem there is something making the control valve shut off the gas. Also good luck mind logic. Mine and your problem sounds to be the same maybe we can get the problems fix. Please keep us posted.
The thermal fuse is inside the tank, in the tip section of the gas valve assembly. Turn off the LP gas supply as well as the water supply and relieve any water pressure from tank.. Disconnect the LP gas line fitting on the gas valve. The valve will have to be removed by turning it counter-clockwise. There is a tool designed to do this and without it, it may be pretty difficult to un-thread. You may want to consider biting the bullet and upgrading the whole water heater to an automatic ignition type and have a warranty to boot. Good luck and let us know what you decide to do.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:27 AM   #9

RV Wizard thanks for this info. I have seen one of the tools to take the valve off. I am going to attempt to fabricate one and weld it together. i will let you know how both turn out..
Old 07-26-2012, 10:59 AM   #10

My apologies... I misread and thought it was an ignition type water heater... the blond moments are running closer together...:(
rvguy40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 08:12 PM   #11

Just a quick up date. Made tool to take valve out. (see picture). Got valve out and found one for 74.99 at AdventureRV.net. Haven't ordered yet but plan to this week unless anyone has a better idea.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120729_210915.png
Views:	245
Size:	403.2 KB
ID:	24172

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120729_210947.png
Views:	246
Size:	686.9 KB
ID:	24175
Old 08-10-2012, 08:57 PM   #12

Hot Water Again

I got the new valve installed and have hot water again. Just in case anyone had the same question as I did, that the Atwood 91602 valve was the correct valve replacement for the White Rogers Valve 91043 in the G6A7 hot-water heater. I emailed customer support at Atwood. They advised it was the correct replacement valve.
Old 08-11-2012, 02:11 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Glad to hear you have fixed the water heater and have hot water again. Thanks for the update.

Tags
heater, water