Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2013, 05:55 AM   #1

Gulf Streamers Club
Send a message via Yahoo to smittythebea
Hot water heater not sparking

It seems as if one problem leads to another. I just got finished replacing a cracked t-joint in the plumbing under the rig. During that repair, water got on the 12-v pump. I pulled the fuse for the pump so that I wouldn't run it accidentally when I turned on the light in the bathroom. All water to thr rig was turned off, so I also flipped the hot water heater (hwh) breaker.

After the plumbing repair, I flipped the HWH breaker and noticed that there were no indicator lights at all on my Levels panel (black water, grey water, gas, battery). No fuses were blown anywhere. I reinstalled the fuse that I pulled for the water pump and that seemed to solve the problem. I turned the HWH on at this point, the pilot light out indicator glowed for a few seconds, then went out as it usually does when I light the pilot on the HWH. Here's the glitch - there is no hot water and the burner at the HWH is not actually lighting. I have worked through this a couple of times, and there is no clicking at the HWH when it gets turned on.

A couple of things happened when trying to get everything back to normal after the plumbing repair:
  • I had to remove a compartment light to get to the plumbing pipes. I cut the wires to remove it. I have reattached the light.
  • The water pump did get wet but is dried out now after 4 days of sitting with a fan on it.
  • When reinstalling the pump fuse, it sparked. Now the indicator light on the fuse does not glow when the fuse if removed. All the other fuses still have a working indicator light.
I DO have propane - I have been cooking with it. I did try the turn off the house propane valve and then turn it back on move, but no change.

There IS water going to the HWH tank.

I do not even know where to begin to check to see if this is a wiring issue, a HWH issue, an operator error issue...I am so frustrated!!! IT seems as if I have spent the last 2 weeks doing unexpected repairs on a rig that was doing fine until I move campgrounds. Now, ARGGGGGH

I am going to attempt to load pictures of the 12v fuse box, etc. to show the specifics for my rig. It may take more than one post, though
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rv 12 volt panel close view with lights.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	271.1 KB
ID:	42961  
smittythebea is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2013, 12:47 PM   #2

Question....in all the circuit breaker switching did you by chance shut off and forget to turn on your propane leak sensor? Blinky light inside rig usually under stove?
Gocoffeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 08:11 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittythebea View Post
After the plumbing repair, I flipped the HWH breaker and noticed that there were no indicator lights at all on my Levels panel (black water, grey water, gas, battery). Coincidence. WH 120V breaker is ONLY for the WH heating element. That monitor panel is 12V anyway.
I turned the HWH on at this point, you are turning on a 12V switch that sends 12V power to the cntrl brd on the WH the pilot light you do not have a pilot light, a pilot always burns, yours is just on demand. That is a "check" light. out indicator glowed for a few seconds, then went out as it usually does when I light the pilot on the HWH.
Here's the glitch - there is no hot water and the burner at the HWH is not actually lighting. I have worked through this a couple of times, and there is no clicking at the HWH when it gets turned on.

If the light goes out at first, that is proper. See if you hear a loud thunk. That is the WH gas valve opening. If there is no sparking, either the board is bad, the ignitor is bad, or the connection is bad.
[*]When reinstalling the pump fuse, it sparked. Now the indicator light on the fuse does not glow when the fuse if removed. All the other fuses still have a working indicator light. Forget the light. Do you have 12V coming into and leaving the fuse and to that wire by the fuse?

I do not even know where to begin to check to see if this is a wiring issue,
Replied in red.
What WH do you have?
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 08:12 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gocoffeer View Post
Question....in all the circuit breaker switching did you by chance shut off and forget to turn on your propane leak sensor? Blinky light inside rig usually under stove?
That is a 12V item, and isn't usually under the stove. They are all over the place. However, they are always at floor level because LP is more dense than air, so it sinks.
Old 07-25-2013, 09:06 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
Send a message via Yahoo to smittythebea
If the light goes out at first, that is proper. See if you hear a loud thunk. That is the WH gas valve opening. If there is no sparking, either the board is bad, the ignitor is bad, or the connection is bad.

So how do I check to see which of these is wrong?

The propane detector is working fine.

I will post pictures tomorrow of the HWH. I am not certain of the model.
smittythebea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 08:51 AM   #6

You can test to see if the valve gets 12V, it should. You can ohm it out to see if it's good.
You can test the thermostat and ECO to see if 12V is coming into and leaving out of both of them.
You can see if the board is getting 12V at all.
Ignitor and board, you just have to rule out everything else and then say it's the only thing left I can't test.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:57 AM   #7

Smitty... the observation order of the properly working hw system should be....

System calls for heat-->Spark is created-->gas valve opens--> Flame

You use a Ohmmeter to unravel the mystery of where either electricity can not travel or where voltage is not available/too low.
Gocoffeer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater, water