Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-18-2010, 07:31 PM   #1

Hot Water not flowing

2004 Montana 2980 RL hot water tank suddenly not flowing water...worked fine this am...tonight nothing...hooked up to city water...cold flowing with lots of pressure...ckecked by pass valve...closed I get water ( cold of course ) .....open nothing....checked the pressure valve hot water flows. Something is blocking the water either at the bypass valve or in the exit from the tank.....any suggestions before I start tearing things apart would be appreciated...I have turned the electric element off.
caffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2010, 07:40 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Most likely a failed check valve on the inlet of the water heater. Most RV systems have at least one check valve, some have two. One will be on the cold water line going into the water heater and the second downstream somewhere in a hot water line. The plastic guts of the valve break, flop sideways in the valve body and block the flow of water.

Something to check.
Old 11-18-2010, 07:58 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Mine did same thing - was defective check valve (part of HWH bypass system) Crappy little plastic valve - guts held together by melting the plastic together - not made to last and it will clog up the line.

Mine was on the line coming out of the HWH and was right next to HWH. If you aren't in need of the bypass system for freezing weather just unscrew it, remove the broken guts and put it back in (just the hollow outer body). Did mine last year and works perfect - just can't bypass HWH when winterizing, but I keep my bays heated so no need. You'll get a bit better flow volume without the guts also.
deputydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 07:14 PM   #4

Thanks....it was the valve in the hot water return...of course I took the other parts apart 1st.....before I read your responses.
caffe is offline   Reply With Quote