Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-02-2014, 07:38 AM   #1

Hot water problem

I have a 10 gal Atwood water heater. I have hot water for about 2 seconds at the sinks and shower. Then cold water. Water heater has lots of hot water. There is a pump next to the water heater that used to come on but now don't. I haven't moved any valves or anything. All breakers are good. Where do I need to start looking?

I will be on the road for the next 6 to 8 hours so I will check back tonight for answers.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2014, 08:38 AM   #2

Thor Owners Club
I recall in a previous thread that someone had left an exterior tap or shower unit on and that prevented the delivery of hot water. I don't know if that might figure into your problem or the pump isn't working....To check previous threads enter No Hot Water in the search box at the top of the page and a lot of threads will pop up....one I', sure will be relevant to your problem.....good luck
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 05:16 PM   #3

outside shower is turned off right. Going to remove it and make a faucet out of it.
Old 09-02-2014, 05:32 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
How are you moving water in the RV if the water pump isn't working? Do you also not have hot water when on city water and getting pressure from the hose? I'm wondering if your non-working pump is a recirculating pump to provide 'instant' hot water by circulating water through the heater continuously? If there is a shut off valve in the line near the pump, try shutting it off and see if hot water flows better.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 05:55 PM   #5

I get no hot water when on city water or when my water pump is on. It has 2 water pumps the main one and the one by the water heater. All valves show to be right. I get hot water for about 2 seconds then gets cold. The pump by the water heater never comes on and it used to.
Old 09-02-2014, 06:17 PM   #6

You said all breakers are good? Your water pumps are twelve volt they would be on fuses if you have a twelve volt test light check at pump for voltage. I've never seen two pumps in a coach so not real sure what that pump is for, you might be able to bypass it.
Elf111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 03:27 PM   #7

Problem fixed. The valve that bypasses the heater was bad. It was being bypassed all the time. Replaced valve now got hot water in all hot water faucets.
Old 10-09-2014, 06:42 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
AH, Good old Suspect #2.

Glad you found it (The "Dog Shower" (outside shower) is suspect #1 of course)
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water