Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-13-2018, 01:21 PM   #1

Angry Hot Water smell

We were out camping with the grandchildren and my wife turned on the hot water tank. Later she went to use the hot water and thought we had a gas leak. I checked the gas detector and all was fine except for the smell! I drained the hot water tank when I discovered the smell was coming from the hot water. I purged all the hot water from the lines and tried again. still same problem. I put a sample of the smelly water in a med bottle, as I am retired and have a lot of them! I then turned off the tank and purged the water again. The hoe water tank was now off line. We could heat up the water and not smell. A few days later I opened the sample and there was no smell.
Do I replace the hot water tank, can we clean it or is it some thing else? I am out of ideas!
Waggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2018, 04:06 PM   #2

Is there an annode rod in your heater? Check the condition.
Old 08-15-2018, 07:07 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Try diluting vinegar 1 part vinegar and 2 parts distilled water fill the tank and let it set for a few days. Leave at least one hot water outlet open. Then flush it good with water. If it still smells like the vinegar add a package or baking soda fill it one more time let it set for a couple of hours agin leave one outlet open. The sulfate smell should be gone. This works with home water heaters it should work in a RV tank.
Old 08-16-2018, 12:54 AM   #4

So far

So far, the anode looks good, but I have never seen one before. I have vinegar in the boiler over night. I was thinking I should heat it up in the hot water tank, run the solution though the lines to clean them, empty the hot water tank, put new water in, run the water through and see if it worked.
Old 08-18-2018, 10:50 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Your water heater (and probably the rest of the water system) has a microbe that emits sulfur dioxide. It's not harmful to humans, but it stinks when the water is heated. You need to sanitize at least the heater tank, but preferable the entire system. Otherwise, the smelly microbes will probably soon return.

The vinegar solution described above may work, but a chlorine or peroxide sanitizing is more reliable.

This video from Suburban describes the problem and solution.
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 08:06 PM   #6

Thanks

I think I have it under control using vinegar, but will use the bleach next spring and if I have any problems

Tags
smell, water