Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-11-2018, 09:58 AM   #1

House batteries not charging on A 1997 Damon Challenger

Been trying to figure this out, My converter is outputting 13.77v to the lugs that is supposed to go to the house batteries, all the systems in the coach work on battery power generator and shore power, I have continuity from the battery to the lugs on converter but no voltage through the wire why and how?
monte433 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2018, 10:15 AM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you unplug from shore power or shut the generator down does all the DC powered devices shut down? Water pump, overhead lights, heating/cooling,,,?
Old 11-11-2018, 12:34 PM   #3

Everything works as it should when it should batteries the batteries just slowly drain and won't recharge unless I use an external charger, Am I work in assuming that I should see that 13.77v at the batteries when they are discharged to 10v, I don't understand how I can have continuity but t not pass voltage
Old 11-11-2018, 12:50 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte433 View Post
Everything works as it should when it should batteries the batteries just slowly drain and won't recharge unless I use an external charger, Am I work in assuming that I should see that 13.77v at the batteries when they are discharged to 10v, I don't understand how I can have continuity but t not pass voltage
You can't !

Check the connections and fuse/breaker that is near the battery in the circuit to the converter. They can be hidden and get corrosion on the terminals. Maybe enough to light some lights but not handle charging current.

Also check the negative wiring. A bad connection to ground will cause problems.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 03:04 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
You can't !

Check the connections and fuse/breaker that is near the battery in the circuit to the converter. They can be hidden and get corrosion on the terminals. Maybe enough to light some lights but not handle charging current.

Also check the negative wiring. A bad connection to ground will cause problems.
So far nothing tomorrow I'm going to run a wire inside from the batteries to the converter to see if it will charge the batteries and then see if I can trace the old wire all the way back and look for problems, grounds are all good I just can't get the power to the batteries
Old 11-11-2018, 03:06 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte433 View Post
So far nothing tomorrow I'm going to run a wire inside from the batteries to the converter to see if it will charge the batteries and then see if I can trace the old wire all the way back and look for problems, grounds are all good I just can't get the power to the batteries
I will check the breaker again I have new ones ordered one has been bypassed so ordered all new ones
Old 11-11-2018, 03:12 PM   #7

I think the biggest problem is somebody did some suspect wiring repairs in the past so far everything has been easily reversed just discovered this one late yesterday
Old 11-30-2018, 04:46 PM   #8

Quick update,it's been too cold outside mess with, the only way the coach batteries will charge is off of the alternator with the engine running, going to have to learn more before I try again
Old 12-12-2018, 05:18 PM   #9

I haven't had time to work on it with work and the weather, but I think I figured it out today after speaking with the previous owner that said it was working when I picked it up. I got to thinking about it and I think I may have either wire something wrong or just have a bad connection at the junction box above the generator, it's the only electrical thing that has been changed between then and now I had the generator out and replaced the ignition rotor that is between the engine and generator.
Old 12-13-2018, 09:23 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
stuck solinoid in battery control center? had one go wonky soon after buying our rig. I was so green at RV tech it took me quite a while to find those solinoid were mounted in the BCC behind the controller board. Found two went bad, one at generator and on in the BCC so I replaced them all. It was shell of a learning experience but worth it as I had to jump in the deep end feet first.
Old 12-14-2018, 07:06 AM   #11

This would be an easy fix if I could find a wiring diagram or schematic but Thor will not provide me with one it's supposed to get warm today so I might get a chance to get out and play with it after work
Old 12-22-2018, 12:45 PM   #12

Ok after a lot of probing with a meter and finding nothing, probably because I don't full understand how the system works, I was able to get the batteries to start charging today by repeatedly cycling the battery disconnect switch with the engine running, all seems to be functioning properly now.

Tags
batteries, charging, damon, house batteries