Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-21-2017, 09:29 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
House batteries water overflow

We are parked and connected to shore power. I have been checking the water level on house batteries regularly. I did notice water overflowing on couple of cells. Is this something I should be concerned about?
Excursion04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2017, 09:36 AM   #2

Biggest issue is ; it's not water !

From the battery cells it's a mild acid solution, and you'll get corrosion on anything the fluid touches . Wash the liquid off with a warm solution containing baking soda. Then check the cells for being overfilled.
Old 02-21-2017, 09:51 AM   #3

YES, as Skip said it is acid. And not really a mild acid. After you get things neutralized and rinsed off, feel the side and see if only those cells are warm. I suspect you have some shorted cell and the bank may (just a guess) be toast.
The only other answer is that they were significantly over filled at the last service.

Frank
F76Marion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 08:41 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
We have the same problem as Excursion4. This being our first Motorhome and first time out on a long trip/learning curve prior to yesterday I relied on the panel's report to check them. I had purchased a hydrometer when I read of that method of testing so tested and found a couple three cells read discharged.. I bought some distilled water and will check fluid levels today, but what do y'all think
Rickndebw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 08:58 AM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Battery fluid level should just be covering the plates, typically 1/4 inch under the vent tube.; too high and the degassing when charging will "boil" the liquid out the vents in the cell caps.

Here is an online article with some pictures and information.

Hope this helps,
Brian
Towr: 2007 Country Coach Allure 470 - 37 Sunset Bay Cummins 400 ISL, Coach #31563
Toad: 2016 F150 King Ranch - 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 Supercrew (curb weight 4,775 lbs)
Toad: SOLD 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee (yes, it has a Hemi) (curb weight 4,720 lbs)
BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 09:03 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excursion04 View Post
We are parked and connected to shore power. I have been checking the water level on house batteries regularly. I did notice water overflowing on couple of cells. Is this something I should be concerned about?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickndebw View Post
We have the same problem as Excursion4. This being our first Motorhome and first time out on a long trip/learning curve prior to yesterday I relied on the panel's report to check them. I had purchased a hydrometer when I read of that method of testing so tested and found a couple three cells read discharged.. I bought some distilled water and will check fluid levels today, but what do y'all think
Excursion04 & Rickndebw
The most common causes of "battery electrolyte overflow" are:
1.) Overfilling
2.) Overcharging.. (by an incorrectly set, or faulty, inverter/charger).
3.) A bad battery
Woodchopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 09:06 AM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickndebw View Post
A battery hydrometer measure specific gravity (SG) or density of the electrolyte (online reference click here)). Rare for one or two cells of a good battery to have different SG vs other cells (6 cells in 12V battery, 3 cells in a 6V battery).

Sometimes an equalization step (large voltage for 15 minutes) supports "equalizing" fluid across all cells. If you have the ability to initiate an equalization step with your factory battery charger that may help.

If not i would recommend a good long charge (+72 hours) and 30 minute rest - i.e. no battery usage and retest before making a decision to replace batteries.

You do not mention the age of the batteries or if you are having issues right now....

Brian
Towr: 2007 Country Coach Allure 470 - 37 Sunset Bay Cummins 400 ISL, Coach #31563
Toad: 2016 F150 King Ranch - 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 Supercrew (curb weight 4,775 lbs)
Toad: SOLD 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee (yes, it has a Hemi) (curb weight 4,720 lbs)
BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 11:17 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I love learning. Thanks Brian and Mark Polk ( I had purchased some of his educational materials including the one on batteries and read it this am.). So went back in with a voltmeter and the hydrometer. Only one of the cells on one of the 6 volt house of batteries reads discharged. What is curious to me is the voltage on that battery read 6.57! We have an inverter capable of the 3 kinds of charging, but I don't know yet if it will do an equalization charge- I'll have to do some more learning
Old 02-22-2017, 11:22 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
The whole equalization charge thing sounds a little scary and hard. Bubbling and gassing indeed!
Old 02-22-2017, 12:09 PM   #10

If you do find a battery bad you will need to replace them all at the same time. As they are in series different ages of batteries will cause problems. If the batteries are 3-4 years old just replace them all. They aren't long for this world any way.
MTK46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 12:21 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
These batteries are approximately 1 year old
Old 02-22-2017, 04:03 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Well, I watched a couple Utoobs, one of which was for an identical coach, albeit 1 year older. Read the inverter/charger manual so now I think I know how to do an equalization charge which I will do tomorrow a.m. & see if it works.
Old 02-22-2017, 04:20 PM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You need to clean the batteries and the area around them first with a baking soda water mix (as much soda as you can disslove) then when it stops fizzing hose it down with a garden hose.. I'm not kidding, flush well.

You may need to do this several times over the next few months.

The problem will do one of two things, Solve itself ro the battery will need replacement,,,, Odds favor the "Solve itself" solution by the way.

Now how to discourage this in the future

As you know flooded wet cells need to have distilled water added from time to time... Many people.. INCLUDING SOME BATTERY MAKERS, say to fill to the bottom of the filler tube... I was taught 1/8 to 1/4" BELOW the bottom of the tube... And that's the solution.
Old 02-22-2017, 08:40 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
You need to clean the batteries and the area around them first with a baking soda water mix (as much soda as you can disslove) then when it stops fizzing hose it down with a garden hose.. I'm not kidding, flush well.

You may need to do this several times over the next few months.

The problem will do one of two things, Solve itself ro the battery will need replacement,,,, Odds favor the "Solve itself" solution by the way.

Now how to discourage this in the future

As you know flooded wet cells need to have distilled water added from time to time... Many people.. INCLUDING SOME BATTERY MAKERS, say to fill to the bottom of the filler tube... I was taught 1/8 to 1/4" BELOW the bottom of the tube... And that's the solution.
Clarify please. Do you mean wash tham with the the baking soda first, then do the equalization, then wash them again. And then do the equalization again in a month?

Tags
batteries, house batteries, water