Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2017, 06:28 PM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
House battery not charging

I have a 1991 national rv, that is not charging house battery while engine is running, I replaced the isolator solenoid with no results then I replaced the relay delay isolator controller still no results. The voltage on center post of solenoid is 13 volts and the two big terminals on the side of solenoid is 11 volts. The chassis battery with engine running is receiving 13 volts so it appears the alternator is working. Is there anything else in the charging circuit I can check?
rand1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2017, 07:04 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I don't know your coach, but I would suspect there could be a fuse in the circuit. I have a big fuse (like 300 or 400 amps) on each battery end, of the cable that connects the two banks together.
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 01:48 PM   #3

I am not familiar with your coach but I think the Alternator only charges the Chassis batteries. The BIRD and Iso Relay work with generator and shore power and focuses on house batteries first. When they are charged to a certain level the Iso relay combines the banks to charge both.
Do your house batts charge on shore power?
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 02:07 PM   #4

If your reading 11 volts on both large terminals with power to the small center terminal, the relay is probably working.

Go to the chassis battery and look for a large cable. Not the one going to the starter.

If it is there and connected, follow the battery cable, that doesn't go to the starter, and look for a HI AMP circuit breaker ( about the size of a deck of cards ). It may be tripped.

It seems that the chassis battery isn't connected to the relay and your only reading ( low ) house battery voltage.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 02:12 PM   #5

I question whether or not you looking in the right place. If the solenoid has the same voltage on both big terminals it is closed and working. 11 VDC would tell me it is connected to the house batteries and they are low.

There should be a heavier wire from the alternator to a big relay then on to the house battery bank. It will have a fuse or circuit breaker close to the alternator. The delay board controls that big relay. You need to find that relay and the wiring associated with it and figure out where you are losing the 13 V from the alternator.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, charging