Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-16-2016, 11:47 AM   #1

House Battery Problem

I just replaced the House Battery in my motorhome and it does not appear to be working. Seemed simple enough to disconnect the old and then replace with the new....but as usual for me, it's never easy!

Not sure if there was something I missed and I have checked the fuses.

Any suggestions?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2016, 12:21 PM   #2

So the battery is good, fuses are good and poles are hooked correctly.... still does not power anything. The Coach battery disconnect switch also does not engage. I do have power when plugged or when the generator is on. Just nothing from the battery....Is there some other switch I could be missing?
Old 04-16-2016, 01:45 PM   #3

When my solar was added, a breaker was added in the battery compartment. It is not a fuse, but a individual breaker that can be reset. It is used to disconnect the batteries for work on the solar system.
Old 04-16-2016, 01:54 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
It appears that you don't have power to the Battery Disconnect Solenoid. Check for battery voltage at the Battery Disconnect switch and then on switch activation, at the solenoid. It is probably a latching type relay and just changes state with each time it sees 12 volts.
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 05:39 PM   #5

Thank you for all of the responses, so far. Does anyone know where the Battery Central Compartment is located on a 2012 Thor Four Winds?
Old 04-16-2016, 05:45 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJD202 View Post
Thank you for all of the responses, so far. Does anyone know where the Battery Central Compartment is located on a 2012 Thor Four Winds?
Which model number?
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 05:47 PM   #7
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJD202 View Post
So the battery is good, fuses are good and poles are hooked correctly.... still does not power anything. The Coach battery disconnect switch also does not engage. I do have power when plugged or when the generator is on. Just nothing from the battery....Is there some other switch I could be missing?

Could you post a picture of your battery hookup? That might help.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
TravellingRVDoctor, LLC
Old 04-16-2016, 05:48 PM   #8

FWIW On our 28Z the batteries are under the steps, the switch for the relay is in the wall next to the steps and the relay is on the chassis rail to the rear of the batteries. The converter is in the passenger side bedroom wall behind the bathroom cabinet. Follow the heavy wire to find things.
Old 04-17-2016, 06:25 AM   #9

28A
Old 04-17-2016, 10:10 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Matthew
You mention that the 'battery is good' - can you confirm/have you confirmed that is so by putting a meter across the poles (without any battery connections) to see if you're getting at least 12 volts? If yes - then reconnect and check for voltage of at least 13 volts with engine running or shore line connected (need the battery charger to be working).

A good close-up picture of your battery wiring may also help us... thanks
Old 04-17-2016, 09:17 PM   #11

Try holding down the starter battery boost switch then turning on the battery switch.

Some battery control centers use cabin battery and others use starting battery for the controls.

If you missed a wire the boost switch may work.

You still need to look for a wire that may have fallen down when you lifted out the old batteries.
Old 04-18-2016, 07:03 AM   #12

Thought I replied but I do not see it. You 28A is most likely wired like our 28Z. The storage switch is not labeled but has a green light on it. It is mounted in the wall next to the step above floor level. When the AC is plugged in the light comes on as the converter is feeding power to the house side of the battery disconnect relay. The batteries are not connected unless the light is already on before the AC is plug is connected or the generator started. That setup is quite common from what I have seen and read here.

I have confirmed the following with a decent voltmeter as I use meters automatically.

With the unlabeled storage switch off and no power to the coach the battery is floating and nothing works in the coach. With the AC plugged in or the generator started there is a green light on the switch and the lights work but the battery is not charged. Toggle the switch with the light and there is a loud click from the relay and the battery voltage jumps up to converter voltage in the 13 V range so the battery is now being charged. If the AC is removed the coach is functional.

My "quick check" is to use the outside light of one of the ceiling lights to check by unplugging the AC and checking if the lights are on to check the state of the switch. No lights=battery disconnected.

The power for the relay comes from the battery side. A flat battery will not operate the relay so one cannot charge the battery. Use a jumper cable or separate charger to bring the house battery up to around 12 VDC so you can toggle the relay then the converter will charge the battery.