Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-02-2012, 08:35 AM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
House Power Tie In....

I am traveling to my Dear Cousin's in June. We are trying to figure out a way to wire up/in a 30 amp 125v pigtail so I can plug in my coach while there.

I have no idea where to begin. The house wiring is all I am sure just 15amp 120volt as is normal. They do have an extension cord that feeds the little side barn light, but that's not gonna give me enough power.....

Any ideas?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2012, 08:43 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Purchase a RV 30 amp to a 15/20 amp adapter at any RV retail source.
If you use a drop cord make sure it is 10 gauge type.
If you use a 12 gauge cord you will be limited in what you can use in your MH.
wb7auk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:52 AM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wb7auk View Post
Purchase a RV 30 amp to a 15/20 amp adapter at any RV retail source.
If you use a drop cord make sure it is 10 gauge type.
If you use a 12 gauge cord you will be limited in what you can use in your MH.
Yes, I didn't think I could run everything with a 30 to 15/20 adapter. I have one, but was afraid to use it because the A/C shed system may not work?
Old 05-02-2012, 09:07 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Not sure what a A/C Shed system is.
I can run one A/C on my home system and still use other things with two
A/C's running I am at my limits for what can be used.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:15 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Hopefully cousin has a 20amp circuit with 12ga wire. Then get youself a good 30/20 adapter. Then a short as possible 12ga extension cord. If the run is over 50ft, a 10ga would be better/safer. Actually, I would go 10ga and be done with it.

I litterally camped for momths on 20amp without problems or much inconvienence. Just no AC, micro or hair dryers at the the same time.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:22 AM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
A 15 amp circuit will not allow you to use A/C.

To wire house for a 30 amp RV plug you'll need a 30 amp single pole circuit breaker that matches the type in house panel. Then use 3 conductor wire of #8 size (up to 50 feet) and a TT-30 receptacle in a weatherproof box. Of course you need to check that the house supply isn't at max already and can handle an additional 30 amp draw. In other words, you should probably hire a professional electrician who will need to get permits and have the work inspected.

This is not something to do unless you know what you're doing, and still is usually not legal without inspection and permits. A mis-wired outlet could cost thousands of $ damage to your rig.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:39 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
If someone tries to wire in a RV 30 service they have to know that even tho the plug
looks like a common dryer plug it is not wired the same.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:16 AM   #8

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
A 15 amp circuit will not allow you to use A/C.

To wire house for a 30 amp RV plug you'll need a 30 amp single pole circuit breaker that matches the type in house panel. Then use 3 conductor wire of #8 size (up to 50 feet) and a TT-30 receptacle in a weatherproof box. Of course you need to check that the house supply isn't at max already and can handle an additional 30 amp draw. In other words, you should probably hire a professional electrician who will need to get permits and have the work inspected.

This is not something to do unless you know what you're doing, and still is usually not legal without inspection and permits. A mis-wired outlet could cost thousands of $ damage to your rig.
I thankfully have an EMC to keep that from happening.

It is out in a rural area, no city or county inspectors, but I would feel a lot better with an electrician taking care of it.....
Old 05-02-2012, 11:36 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
30 amp is no different than wiring a 15/20amp curcuit. You have the common, neutral and ground. You of course need a 30amp breaker and 12 - 10ga wire to the outlet, depending on the lenght of the run.

So if you (or anyone there) can wire a 15amp circuit, you can wire a 30amp circuit. They are the same except the hardware used...just bigger to handle the extra amps.

Where the confusion can come into play is the 30amp receptical and plug is used for 240v.... 2 - 120v circuits and a neutral. A 30amp 120v circuit is unheard of in home wiring.
So your average home electrician or do it yourselfer would see that plug and automatically see 240v. So whoever does this, licensed or not, make sure they understand all this.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:54 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyon51 View Post
30 amp is no different than wiring a 15/20amp curcuit. You have the common, neutral and ground. You of course need a 30amp breaker and 12 - 10ga wire to the outlet, depending on the lenght of the run.
I don't think 12ga is ever acceptable for a 30amp circuit. 12ga is standard for 20amp circuits. The OP wants 10ga for shorter runs or 8ga for longer.

joe
Old 05-02-2012, 12:39 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
You are absolutely right. I put 8ga in my barn because I had a 50 ft run. Dont know what I was thinking Thanks for catching.
Old 05-02-2012, 02:36 PM   #12
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Kent,
before I put in the 50amp circuit in my driveway I used a 10ga extension cord tied into a 20amp circuit breaker in the house. I used this setup with the 5th wheel, and then the MH before getting the 50amp installed. With both RV's I was able to run the AC's. With the 5th wheel only one of the two rooftops could be run. I could run a few lights, but if I turned on the ceiling fan, or DW turned on a vacuum cleaner - lights out - trip the breaker. With the MH, I have the basement air with two compressors, but I also have the EMS (Energy Management System) that can detect that I'm on 120v and it will only run 1 compressor. So yes, it can be done, but you will have to limit any other appliances and lights that you run. My MH lights all run off the batteries, but the converter kicks in to keep them charged and it runs off 120v. If you manage what is running you can run the AC.

I have a link somewhere to wiring that I'll try to find.

Good luck.

Edited: Found it - RV Electric
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 03:04 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnboy2 View Post
I am traveling to my Dear Cousin's in June. We are trying to figure out a way to wire up/in a 30 amp 125v pigtail so I can plug in my coach while there.

I have no idea where to begin. The house wiring is all I am sure just 15amp 120volt as is normal. They do have an extension cord that feeds the little side barn light, but that's not gonna give me enough power.....

Any ideas?
Something like this, maybe?

Walmart.com: Road Power 30/15-Amp RV Power Adapter Cord: Computers
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 03:11 PM   #14

Check your outside box with the meter to see if it has master breakers on it. If it does, are there any slots available to put a new breaker in? If so, you just need to buy some 10 gauge outdoor wire, a breaker and a rv plug box that matches your plug. I did this several years ago and still use it today. Make sure you get someone with a little electric know how to install it. It is pretty easy and only 30 minutes of work if your house has the master breaker box on the outside with extra spots for more breakers.
steeleshark2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power