Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-27-2014, 03:02 PM   #1

How do I secure top of Samsung RF-197

I recently installed a Samsung model RF197 ACBP residential refrigerator in my '05 Tiffin Phaeton. I secured the bottom of the refrigerator very well, but I will need to secure the top rear of the unit for additional stability. I want to screw two small brackets to the top, rear edge of the refrigerator, on the top surface, approximately 1 inch from the rear edge. Ideally, the two brackets would be located approximately 10” to 12” inward from each outside edge, although the placement of the brackets along the top surface is very flexible. If this position will interfere with something internally I also have the option of attaching the brackets to the top rear edge, along the back surface. In either case I would like to use #12 X 1” long self-taping screws. I anticipate the screws will penetrate the case about .875”.

My question is- are there any areas within the areas I have described above that will interfere with internal items, and should thus be avoided? Piercing a refrigerant line is something I would very much like to avoid!!
mikekelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2014, 06:48 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
My advice is to not drill into the top of the fridge. If the bottom is well secured both front and rear then forget about the top.

My RF197 is NOT affixed to anything at the top. All of the attachment points are at the bottom, two in the front and three at the rear.

It's been like that for over 2 years and 10,000 miles with a trip to Alaska and back. It hasn't moved at all.

Do as you please but do not do any drilling into the fridge.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 07:01 PM   #3
KIX

Here's what I did to secure the top of our 197. You will note at the top front edge there is a plastic piece running from side to side. This plastic piece has two 1 inch square x 1/2" depressions. I used a piece of plywood that spanned the opening and engaged the cabinet the 197 is in. On the side of the plywood I screwed and glued two matching 1" squares of 1/2" plywood to engage the depressions in the plastic piece. Rock solid for over 20K miles.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 07:20 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I assume that you have a little bit of clearance between the top of the fridge and the wood above it. Here's what I did.

I have about 1/4" space between the top of the fridge and the wood above it. I used a 3/4" X 3/4" aluminum angle iron, and cut it to the width of the fridge. Then I used 3M Industrial double sided tape to glue the angle iron onto the top of the fridge. Then I fastened the angle iron to the wood with screws, first drilling the angle iron for the screws.

Jim
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 10:01 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
in my m/h i screwed a piece of wood into the ceiling about 8 inches behind the top of the fridge, it has about 1/2 space between the fridge top and the wood block, this way the fridge can wiggle but not tip as the top will wedge itself against the wood block
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 10:28 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I had mine professionally installed by Elite Repair & Remodeling in Harrisburg, OR. Here is what they did:

I think the strips of metal they used are just common stuff you can get at Home Depot for transitioning to/from carpet flooring. You can install spacer shims in the back of the fridge if you need to to get it exactly flush with the front like Elite did.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
tricotec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 05:43 AM   #7

Thanks for all your valuable input! If possible, please post pictures of your solutions- As has been said- a picture is worth a thousand words! Again- Thanks so much!
mikekelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 12:42 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikekelly View Post
Thanks for all your valuable input! If possible, please post pictures of your solutions- As has been said- a picture is worth a thousand words! Again- Thanks so much!
Look in this thread and you will see several solutions:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f54/resid...-177993-3.html

I used 2 "L" brackets screwed to the ceiling in the front. Can't be seen when door is closed.

DO NOT drill into any of the metal encasing the unit as you may puncture a refrig line or break an electrical wire.

John
zzjea is offline   Reply With Quote