Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-04-2019, 09:03 PM   #1

How do I wire an invertor for a res fridge?

I am installing a residential fridge and want to install a dedicated invertor. I have searched the forum archive but did not find a diagram or explaination of how to wire the power components

I read recomendations of 1000 watt invertor with an auto switch and a remote. Please tell me how it all hooks up. I bought a Samsung RF18.
Thank you
steve11669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2019, 09:07 PM   #2

If you are starting from zero knowledge maybe start with the installation instructions for the inverter from the manufacturer?

Then maybe tell us what RV you have and ask any questions from there.

Youtube has a lot on good tutorials on installing inverters in RVs as well.
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 06:00 AM   #3

Progressive dynamics makes a nice one with a really good install manual. most companies have a very minimal manual.
dadej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 09:07 AM   #4

Thanks guys. I bought the fridge which will be delivered in 2 days. I am on acrage with a workshop currently. I am preparing the fridge spot now. I want to wire for the inverter now because it will be harder after installing the fridge.
My main inverter is Xantrex so I looked at their 1000 watt model. I haven't bought one yet because I want to understand how the switch wiring works first. I have a Xantrx 1000 inverter, Xantrx auto transfer switch and a remote switch panal in my Amazon shopping cart. I hoped to get advice and wiring info first. If the Xantrex items are recommended, I can buy them and study the installation instrctions.

2004 Country Coach Inspire. 4 6 volt batteries. Battery to projected inverter shelf us 12 feet.
Old 03-05-2019, 09:37 AM   #5

I have the Xantrex ProWatt 1000 inverter, but used the Magnum auto transfer switch.
It has a junction box on it, so no need for additional junction box's.

https://www.invertersupply.com/index...RoCPJcQAvD_BwE

I cut the romex going to the fridge, hard wired in the auto switch between the cut ends, and plugged the cord into the inverter.

Keep the inverter close to the batteries and use an extension cord between it and the Auto switch, If not close by.

That save all of the 12 volt, heavy gauge wiring, between the battery and inverter. 12 feet is a long run for battery voltage but not for 120 volts.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 10:03 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve11669 View Post
I have a Xantrx 1000 inverter, Xantrx auto transfer switch and a remote switch panal in my Amazon shopping cart. Battery to projected inverter shelf us 12 feet...
Xantrex is fine, that is what I have. 1000 watt is fine for the Samsung. You will need some heavy duty cables, a 100 amp fuse and fuseholder and the applicable terminal lugs. I recommend a Kisae transfer switch over the Xantrex since it is a little easier to install, but no matter. If you get the Xantrex model switch you will need an octagonal steel wiring box and 3 strain reliefs and enough 14 ga Romex to go from the inverter to the plug behind the reefer. The Kisae eliminates the additional box. 24 feet of #2 wire (you could go to #0, but the Xantrex will never sit that long above 500 watts anyway.)

Transfer switch goes next to the reefer plug along with the octagonal box or just the Kisae switch.

By the way, in thinking about what you are doing, you say that you are 12 feet from the batteries. You should locate the inverter in a nice dry, uncramped basement compartment, as close to the batteries as you can. The 120 volt Romex from the inverter can be as long as you need, it is the 12 volt lines that need to be as short as possible.

And you need some solid ground wire to ground the inverter chassis to the coach chassis, separate from the negative wire to the battery bank.

The rest is crawling around.
Sbrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 11:07 AM   #7

It is getting clear to me, how the components and wiring sets up. Nothing was said about the remote panal so I don't need that.

I found a good spot in a cabinet 3 feet above the battery compartment for the inverter.
Thank you
Old 03-05-2019, 11:30 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
It is getting clear to me, how the components and wiring sets up. Nothing was said about the remote panal so I don't need that.

I found a good spot in a cabinet 3 feet above the battery compartment for the inverter.
Thank you
That should be fine as long as the cabinet is big enough as the inverter will generate some heat when loaded. As far as the remote is concerned, if you can easily reach the inverter in the cabinet you don't need one. I use them since both of my Xantrex inverters are installed in the basement. The Xantrex 1000 only draws .6 amps when in idle so you won't save much power. I do use mine if I am connected to shore power for extended periods...not to save the power but to save the inverter from running for no good reason.
Old 03-16-2019, 02:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbrownstein View Post
I recommend a Kisae transfer switch over the Xantrex since it is a little easier to install...

...Transfer switch goes next to the reefer plug along with the octagonal box or just the Kisae switch...
I bought the ZANTRX prowatt 1000 which has a 15 watt female outlet and the Kisea transfer which has a 20 amp male plug. I think I am to plug the xfer switch into the inverter as well as hard wire the ac in and out to the fridge? If so, the plugs are not compatable.

The Xantex 15 watt outlet says 8 watts max from the female outlet.

Please help.
Old 03-16-2019, 03:35 PM   #10

Quote:
I bought the ZANTRX prowatt 1000 which has a 15 watt female outlet and the Kisea transfer which has a 20 amp male plug. I think I am to plug the xfer switch into the inverter as well as hard wire the ac in and out to the fridge? If so, the plugs are not compatable.

Please help.
A 15 amp outlet should accept the Kaise transfer switchs 20 amp plug. If they are using the plug with 1 blade sideways, send it back and order the 15 amp transfer switch.

The 15 and 20 amp #s are max ratings, not what your using.

The PS1000 inverter can only produce 8 amps, that's why its listed at that. 1000 watts ÷ 120 volts = 8.33 amps.

It has a 15 amp outlet because its a common size. There is nothing less the 15 amp outlets in household electrical systems.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 03:59 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:

Please help.
I think if you look closer, the 1000 watt Xantrex says 8 AMPS from the duplex outlet...that is 1,000 watts AC! If the Kisae is 20 amps it may have a 20 amp plug. Cut it off and replace it with a nice 15 amp plug from Home Depot. You don't need a 20 amp plug anyway since the inverter won't even put out 15 amps, which is the rating for a normal plug. If you can hook up the terminals on the Kisae, you can replace the plug.

You should be all set!
Old 03-16-2019, 10:51 PM   #12

Thanks guys. There are 15 to 20 amp adapter dogbone cords available. I will get one and use the switch I have.
Old 03-23-2019, 10:24 PM   #13

Update; the install is complete and working great both the fridge and inverter with auto switch. I did not need the remote on/off switch since the inverter is easilly accessed. Residential fridge is much better!

Thank you for the help!

Tags
fridge