Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2016, 10:10 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
How do you clean out your black tank when there is no water hookup

I am a newbie and would like to know after dumping my black tank how I clean it out if there is no water hookup. I have flushing system but many dumping stations at state parks don't have a place to hook up a hose. What do you do then?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2016, 10:17 AM   #2

If there's no water, you can't flush with water. Some parks have non-potable water for flushing but they may not have a screw on hose, in which case you need a universal adapter. Really wish public parks and rest areas would do more to update their campgrounds and dump stations.
FaithBowls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 10:19 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I took the sprayer head off of my outside shower, and bought an adaptor at Home Depot, and now I use my outside shower hose to connect to my black tank flushing system.
Old 08-01-2016, 10:21 AM   #4
Community Administrator

If you have water in your tanks ,you can fill the black tank via flushing. Close the valve after you dump , fill the tank from on board water and dump again .

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 10:27 AM   #5

Well, you may have one alternative. Empty your remaining fresh water into your black water tank. You could use the water pump to do the transfer or a bucket under your fresh water tank drain and dump that down the commode. That won't flush it but it will help get a lot more of the poo out.

I have the luxury of having access to my sewer clean out at home. I can flush to my hearts content. You may have a similar option and just not know it.
Old 08-01-2016, 10:38 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I hope this is a one or two time thing for you, and that you do have city water available now and then.

One thing I normally do is drain the black tank, then leave the black tank valve open. Pull the gray tank for a few seconds to allow gray water to flow into the black tank. I usually elevate the hose to force more gray water into the black tank.

Then close the gray valve and let the black tank drain again.

Finally, close black tank valve a drain the rest of the gray tank.

Always have a min of 3/4 level in black tank when draining.

Other tips - if you have a macerator toilet, use it for the #2 events.
Also ask the DW to put TP in the trash instead of flusing it.

Regards,

Dan
Old 08-01-2016, 10:47 AM   #7

Opening the grey and black water drain valves at the same time two or three times after the black has been drained works, but it is not as complete as a black tank flush. I've tapped the water system after the pump so I can connect a hose to run to the black tank flush system, or to use for limited other chores when needed. We boondock a lot, and these two techniques work very well for us.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 11:42 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
How do you clean out your black tank when there is no water hookup

One does not have to flush/clean the black tank every time you dump. Clean it when water and time are available.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 11:49 AM   #9

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
One does not have to flush/clean the black tank every time you dump. Clean it when water and time are available.

Correct!

Dan Callahan, North Jersey
2008 Fleetwood Excursion 40E
Freightliner, Cummins, Allison
It's not the Destination or the Journey
It's the Excursion
DebnDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 12:54 PM   #10

Back wash works but trying your outdoor shower hose with the onboard pump
carl.swoyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 03:35 PM   #11

Quote:
I second this!

Like dpinvidic, i make sure gray has plenty of water in it before doing anything. I drain black first then after it stops, open the gray and let it go into the black so that i can do a second smaller dump. I do make sure to close the gray before everything starts to mix and flows back into it. Gray and black are both 3 inch and piped straight across from each other. Make's it easy.
Old 08-01-2016, 04:48 PM   #12

Quote:
Thank God someone said that!
dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 04:59 PM   #13

Fill toilet, flush toilet, repeat.
Old 08-01-2016, 05:24 PM   #14

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebnDan View Post
Correct!

Dan Callahan, North Jersey
2008 Fleetwood Excursion 40E
Freightliner, Cummins, Allison
It's not the Destination or the Journey
It's the Excursion
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexters View Post
Thank God someone said that!

They are HOLDING tanks.

Dump when 3/4 or more full
High liquid level to solids ratio
Liquids are heavy and the high volume carries the solids OUT

(fast moving river moves boulders------slow moving creek can't budge a pebble)

After a few gallons (full toilet bowl flushed twice) back into tank so bottom stays wet and nothing dries out and sticks (or stinks)
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
black tank, tank, water