Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-29-2016, 09:32 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
How do you get Shore Power Cord and Adapters from being stuck? Help!

I really have a tough time with my shore power 50amp plug sticking in any of the adapters or even the in-line surge protector.

They all have a handle to grab on when pulling apart but they are really tough to pull apart.

How do you all easily separate them? Is it because most of mine are new? I have heard of electrical grease some use with bulbs but would a person dare use that on your shore power cord or connections?

Thanks!
James
Kro1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2016, 03:18 AM   #2

Use silicone spray, it'll dry with a film. Wet silicone lube will work but will collect dirt and debris . Contact pressure on the blades is a must to reduce temperature and contact annealing, something you have to deal with.

CLIFF
clifford j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 06:01 AM   #3

I clean the exposed electrical contacts using my Dremel tool and a small wire brush attachment till they are clean and shiny, then spray a small amount of WD-40 on a paper towel and wipe the contacts coating them with a thin film. Plug and unplug a few times and recoat the contacts.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 08:40 AM   #4

I stand on my surge protector with both feet and pull straight up with both hands. It's tight but moves fine if you have 4 hands.
FaithBowls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 09:30 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I grease mine with dielectric grease and then use an old sock to keep them clean when not plugged in. If you google dielectric grease there are some interesting articles vs silicone vs vaseline.
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 09:33 AM   #6
Community Administrator

X2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickBBD View Post
I grease mine with dielectric grease and then use an old sock to keep them clean when not plugged in. If you google dielectric grease there are some interesting articles vs silicone vs vaseline.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 10:38 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Spray both the male and female connections with this: Strike Hold

It's dielectric, will help clean the contacts, repel dirt and will dry out, unlike grease, while still providing lubrication. I use it on my toad connections, as example, and they're much easier to connect/disconnect and it's stopped any corrosion problem.

I got mine at last year's IRV2 rally from one of the vendors.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 11:12 AM   #8

A good solid tight connection is a good thing. You do not want your cords to come apart easily. Loose connections equal heat build up which lead to melted plugs over time.
gateaux01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 06:23 AM   #9

Thor Owners Club
good information!

Great tips and info. Thanks!! James
Old 05-24-2016, 07:11 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickBBD View Post
X2. I put a squirt of dielectric grease in every power pedestal I plug into. Removal is always easy and moisture doesn't get to the contact surfaces during my stay.

I also put a dab of dielectric grease on screw in light bulb sockets especially on outdoor fixtures. You don't break the bulb to get them out when it is burned out.
Old 05-24-2016, 08:35 AM   #11
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gateaux01 View Post
A good solid tight connection is a good thing. You do not want your cords to come apart easily. Loose connections equal heat build up which lead to melted plugs over time.

Exactly!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 09:30 AM   #12

Thor Owners Club
I agree Joe, but these are way too tight!!

Joe,
I agree you want a solid connection, but these are way too tight. When two strong people can not pull them apart in 10 minutes, I think there must be an easier method to separate them
Old 05-24-2016, 12:41 PM   #13

Make sure your prongs are straight. Maybe one of them is bent outward making it too tight. Gently bend it straight. Make sure there's no oxidation on the prongs. Make sure you're pulling straight apart.
FaithBowls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 12:37 PM   #14
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kro1957 View Post
Joe,
I agree you want a solid connection, but these are way too tight. When two strong people can not pull them apart in 10 minutes, I think there must be an easier method to separate them

I bought a can of "tuner contact cleaner with lubricant" from Radio Shack that I use to spray all of my electrical connectors, including the shore power cord and the coil cord between the MH and the toad. This is made for that purpose. Spray it on, then plug and unplug several times to clean the connections. In addition to cleaning the connections, it will put a coat of lubricant on them which should make them easier to plug and unplug. Be sure you get the cleaner "with lubricant"!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ada, power, shore power