Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-11-2013, 11:05 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilV View Post
Barb,

Hopefully you had enough pressure to keep the heat going through the night and will be leaving for our Sunny Florida shortly.

Be sure to double check your tire pressures before hitting the road as the temperature drop you had over the past few nights could have lost you several psi or so and they may need to be topped off before hitting the highway.

Here in Tampa Bay it is currently 68 degrees with the day time forcast to warm up to 82 by this afternoon.

Have a safe trip!

Hi Neil v,

Don't want to hijack this LP related thread, but wanted to clarify the comment on tire PSI. It is my understanding that you adjust PSI readings down in cold, and up in high - temperature conditions? Tire manufacturers have charts to aid this.

If I'm wrong, great. If not, then danger of over inflating a tire in cold weather.

A safety concern, thus my reason for responding. Worth the Time to check to be sure.

Best to all,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2013, 01:32 AM   #30

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Mileage may vary. I think 3-4 days is short. It should last quite a while unless you have the thermostat set on 80º. You might think about one of these:
Removable Accu-Level Propane Tank Gauge with Magnetic back : Amazon.com : Kitchen & Dining
This and a cup of hot water will tell you the level of LP in the tank.
Sounds good but the reviews at the bottom are pretty negative, is there another gadget out there that measures propane tanks? wonder if these are available in RV shops?
Old 11-12-2013, 03:08 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
Hi Neil v,

Don't want to hijack this LP related thread, but wanted to clarify the comment on tire PSI. It is my understanding that you adjust PSI readings down in cold, and up in high - temperature conditions? Tire manufacturers have charts to aid this.

If I'm wrong, great. If not, then danger of over inflating a tire in cold weather.

A safety concern, thus my reason for responding. Worth the Time to check to be sure.

Best to all,
Smitty
That is a myth according to drivers.com
Drivers.com: Myths abound on correct tire inflation
Old 11-12-2013, 03:27 AM   #32
Commercial Member

Chboone

I have ducted heating system. I added and extra 4 inch duct to the underbelly to heat the water tanks area. I keep my heater set at 55 degrees while plugged in at my house. This is a very well built system and keeps my camper evenly heated. Before this system was installed it was hard to heat my 36 foot camper heated. I was using two portable electric heaters and one oil radiator heater going at one time pluss my gas heater set at 68 degrees. I went thru two seven gallon LPG tanks in one week. This system is so much better!!!
Paw John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 08:13 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilV View Post
That is a myth according to drivers.com
Drivers.com: Myths abound on correct tire inflation
I appreciate the thread, but feel you will find many more hits on tires and PSI and temperature that reflect the standard rule of thumb of 1Psi variance per 10 degrees of temp change.

For me, and please anyone reading this do your own research, I set my tires at as close to the proper tire manufacturers temperature recommendations as possible. I do not add or lower, based upon different readings in extreme temperature swing conditions, nor at the end of long drive, where you will easily find 10 + PSI increase.

In cold temps say 50 degrees below manufacturers recommended tire setting temperature, I would expect to see. 5 PSI lower setting. So if 100 was what the tire should be set at, then 95PSI would be correct.

On real cold days, I let both the oil temp and tire temp slowly come up to proper levels, taking it very easy until they do.

Please do more research on your specific manufactures recommendations.

Be safe, have fun, best to all,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 09:34 AM   #34

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thank you Paw John,
I also have a ducted system already have a duct to the tank area installed by National. I have seen other posts they are happy with the system. Last week we were at 4500 ft was getting down to the upper 30's heater ran a lot in the evening set at 68, we turn it down to 55 at bed time. My furnace is easy to get at and run power to it under the cabinets.

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 03:15 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
I appreciate the thread, but feel you will find many more hits on tires and PSI and temperature that reflect the standard rule of thumb of 1Psi variance per 10 degrees of temp change.

For me, and please anyone reading this do your own research, I set my tires at as close to the proper tire manufacturers temperature recommendations as possible. I do not add or lower, based upon different readings in extreme temperature swing conditions, nor at the end of long drive, where you will easily find 10 + PSI increase.

In cold temps say 50 degrees below manufacturers recommended tire setting temperature, I would expect to see. 5 PSI lower setting. So if 100 was what the tire should be set at, then 95PSI would be correct.

On real cold days, I let both the oil temp and tire temp slowly come up to proper levels, taking it very easy until they do.

Please do more research on your specific manufactures recommendations.

Be safe, have fun, best to all,
Smitty
That rule does not change the cold tire pressure according to Michelin, Goodyear and Drivers.com. Remember that a tire even in the summer is going to warm up around 50 to 75 degrees from the cold temperature its at before the sun hits it. On the highway you can expect a tire to reach a running temperature of 125 degrees or so which would be a 75 degree temperature rise on a 50 degree morning. Be wary of internet hits if they are not from the tire manufacturer, DOT or an credible source that has vetted things out as there is a lot of misinformation out there on any variety of topics.

Tire Rack did further testing on this and the results are that you do not adjust down when its cold out but follow the manufacturers cold pressure spec. The only exception is if you have the vehicle stored in a heated garage, then they reccomend adding an additional 1 psi for every 10 degrees colder it is outside compared to the inside of your garage of course without exceeding the max pressure rating stamped on the sidewall.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=73

Tags
propane