Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-24-2010, 08:38 PM   #1

Excel Owners Club
How to install new inverter with Progressive surge protector?

I hired a guy to install a modified sine wave inverter in my fifth wheel. He connected the inverter to the battery and then connected the 50amp service cable to the 20 amp outlet on the inverter, using dog bones to step down to 30 amps to 20 amps. However, I have a Progressive surge protector hard wired in line to the panel. Surge protector does not like modified sine wave power. It tripped. Progressive technician later said I was lucky that the power did not burn out the circuit board. Not trying that again.

Progressive tech said that normally the RV factory connects an inverter to certain circuits on the panel, sometimes using through a subpanel. Which somehow isolates the modified sine wave power from the surge protector. (Maybe you turn off the main breaker?) Tech said they have not tested a pure sine wave inverter with the surge protector.

Does anyone run a modified sine wave inverter thru a Progressive Industries surge protector? And can anyone suggest where I go from here, other than installing a 12v connection in the coach interior and connecting an inverter for local appliances?

Thanks much.
Bruce and Jenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2010, 03:31 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
No one feeds a surge protector from a modified sine wave inverter.
You have not specified what brand or model of inverter you want installed. Nor have you specified what you want to run, how many hours on and how long of time will be needed before recharging can begin, what size and age of battery bank you have and if there is room to add more. Once you know this, an inverter installation can be designed.
Bruce, you need to hire a guy that has much experience in inverter installation and operation in the RV industry . There are many ways an inverter can be installed, even correctly. There are many type of modified sine wave inverters; such as stand alone, pass thru and/or charging capabilities. You must select the right one for the right application. Since you already have bought the inverter, we will have to start there and design the installation around it to fit your needs as best possible.
What make and model is your inverter?
Give us the info of the green shaded parameters, so we know what we are trying to accomplish.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 09:07 AM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Thanks Mike, for the quick reply.

The good news - I didn't buy the inverter. Didn't pay for the install either. All I own is a Samlex PST15s-12A pure sine 150 watt inverter I use in my truck for laptop GPS and on a cig lighter port for my laptop. An earlier installer connected the cig lighter to a 12v light there, so I don't get much current to that inverter.

I have a Progressive Power Center connected to a Progressive surge protector EMS HW50 connected to a Hughes Autoformer out to the power plug.
Two three year old T105 6v golf cart batts. While I have room for more batteries, I'm not inclined to add more now.
One new Kyocera KC130TM 130w solar panel with a Blue Sky Solar Boost 2000E that can support 25amps
Two Honda 2000 gens with a connector panel for 4000watts.

I just want to power a coupla laptops for a few hours at night, plus a few small incandescent lights. I can rely on my generators for microwave for now. I figure about 80 amp hours sundown - sunup, including a furnace for two hours at night.

During the day, lights and water pump and maybe a laptop, which my panel should handle I reckon.

Far as I can understand, my needs are small right now. I'm just trying to invert some power for the laptops and router or maybe a 78 watt TV and 11 watt DVD for coupla night time hours. I thought it would be convenient to send power to all the outlets. But I don't know if I want to tear into the power center to add a subpanel. Not saying I wouldn't, rather I don't know.

Any advice you could offer I would appreciate. Thanks much.
Old 02-25-2010, 09:46 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Your best bet would be to run a couple new outlets direct to an inverter which in turn is wired direct to your battery bank. Power the couple lights and laptops you want that way and you are home free.

Attempting plug in the whole RV via its shore power cord exposes you to a host of possible problems. Besides the one you encountered, your converter/charger is trying to charge the batteries using the inverter power as it source, which means juice is being taken from the batteries to charge the batteries. Duh! Your fridge is probably automatically switched to 120vac from the inverter too, adding to your battery load.

If you are going to use the existing RV 120vac circuits, you need to isolate those you want powered from the inverter and install a manual transfer switch. Or, use an inverter that has a built in transfer switch and a subpanel for the powered circuits. That way they are always powered through the inverter but the inverter choose battery or shore power as appropriate.

Mike is right - you need somebody who understands RV systems and inverters better than the guy you hired.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 08:27 PM   #5

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Roamer [Gary] View Post
Your best bet would be to run a couple new outlets direct to an inverter which in turn is wired direct to your battery bank. Power the couple lights and laptops you want that way and you are home free.
I think you right. I've come to that conclusion too. Simple way to start.

So I figure my max nighttime use at 3amps 120v for two laptops and router. One or two wall outlets connected to the inverter connected to my batteries should do it. Small 400 - 500 watt inverter should make it.

Do I need pure sine wave for TV, DVD, and receiver? Any suggestion on an inverter?

These small inverters generally have 20 amp grounded outlets on the front panel. Is there an easy way to wire an outlet to an outlet in a box versus the usual 12-2wg to circuit breaker posts? Do guys use different outlets or outlet boxes on these thin RV walls?

Old 02-27-2010, 04:17 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
The most simple way to accomplish what I think you are wanting, is to install the pure sine wave inverter (recommended) next to the battery bank but not in the same compartment. This will keep the 12vdc cables short. Be sure to install an appropriate size circuit breaker or fuse near the battery bank. Put a couple of twists in the cables from the battery bank to the inverter and make sure connections are tight. If the inverter has a duplex receptacle on the face buy a couple of heavy extension cords and run from the areas you want to have power and you should be good to go. You cannot tie this inverter power into an existing receptacle if the inverter does not have an internal transfer switch without installing an external transfer switch and different wiring method. You will have to plug your entertainment center back and forth to the inverter or shore/generator power. The same would go for the laptops.
Old 02-27-2010, 07:29 AM   #7

Excel Owners Club
Understood. I'm shooting for a finished look, AKA dedicated inverter outlets, to satisfy a certain occupant. [Hint - not the dog.]

Hence my question about connecting the outlets on the inverter to new wall outlets thru the basement.
Is there an easy way to wire an outlet to an outlet in a box versus the usual 12-2wg to circuit breaker posts? Do guys use different outlets or outlet boxes on these thin RV walls?

Thanks again.
Old 02-27-2010, 11:28 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

There are shallow mount boxes that might work in your walls, but there are also special outlets often used in RVs that do not need a separate box. Technically, the box and outlet are integrated and it is called a "self-contained receptacle". It is easy to add becasue it fastens into the opening with screw-tight clips, just like a standard "old work" outlet box.

Here is an example:

Self-Contained Receptacle - RV Parts, RV Supplies & RV Accessories for 5th Wheels, ToyHaulers, Campers

You can run any kind of residential grade wire and simply put a 120v plug on the inverter end and plug into the inverter outlets.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 06:48 PM   #9

Excel Owners Club
Kewl man. Thanks for the link. I'll order 'em up.

Thank you Gary and Mike for your help with this project. I'll name an outlet for each of you.

I won't tell you which one goes in the bedroom tho.
Old 02-28-2010, 04:40 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club