RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-18-2018, 06:50 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
HWH Proper Use

Just upgraded from an '03 Horizon to a 2018 Phaeton. Having had both slide out (room extensions) and leveling jack issues, I got acquainted with proper operation. As, operation was always my problem. Two big things. 1. Always hold the switch down for 3-4 seconds after extension or retraction has stopped. 2. If you stop extension thru it's travel, do not continue the extension. Retract completely making sure to hold the switch down for the 3-4 seconds. Then, extend, again, making sure to hold the switch after it has stopped. Also do not use the leveling jacks at the same time as the room extensions. To add, I always had the engine running for the extensions and jacks to deliver maximum voltage to the pump motors. Never took the time to troubleshoot, but the main slide would not work "sometimes" with the engine running.
With all that said, the Tiffin has HWH controls also. When I went thru the operation with the dealer, they never said anything about holding down the switch after the room reached the end of it's travel. They did tell me to have the engine running, turn on the cruise control, and hit resume, which causes the engine's RPM to increase about 300 turns. That made sense to me to make the alternator deliver more voltage to the hydraulic pumps. After reading the operating manuals, everything was the same except for the engine running. In fact, they state to turn the engine off adding to turn to accessory, except for jack retraction, which they tell you to start the engine. Extensions are to have engine off.
Short of contacting HWH, why would they want less voltage at the pump, which causes more current flow, and reduce the life of any motor?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2018, 07:02 AM   #2

I would not worry about having the engine running to "deliver more voltage". The pumps are designed to operate within a wide range of voltage (for example 12.2 to 13.7). Running the engine to have 13.5V available is not going to make any difference to the pump. And these newer coaches have plenty of battery power available when the engine is off.

It may even be better to have the engine off, just you can hear the pump operation (like the loading of pump when you reach end of travel).

However the manufacture of the system (HWH) has the last word. I would call HWH over the dealer, if you want the best information.

Old 04-19-2018, 10:46 AM   #3

So why is it not good to stop and go while retracting, also why an extra 3 to 4 seconds. ...

My 01 Itasca sunrise that i just bought has the store more hwh slide
wingnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 10:56 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnuts View Post
So why is it not good to stop and go while retracting, also why an extra 3 to 4 seconds. ...

My 01 Itasca sunrise that i just bought has the store more hwh slide
Hold the switch down after travel stops in order to keep proper pressurization of the cylinders. Comes directly from HWH manual.
I have had past issues not following this procedure.
Old 04-19-2018, 11:04 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale R View Post
Hold the switch down after travel stops in order to keep proper pressurization of the cylinders. Comes directly from HWH manual.
I have had past issues not following this procedure.
Ok thanks. ..good to know, seems like it would put stress on gears , but maybe there are no gears in this set up
Old 04-19-2018, 04:29 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
HWH will tell you to hold the button down for 2 -3 seconds after jacks have been extended or retracted and same with the slides.. I just went thru this after repairs were completed at HWH..
Old 04-19-2018, 05:23 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petesflhtk View Post
HWH will tell you to hold the button down for 2 -3 seconds after jacks have been extended or retracted and same with the slides.. I just went thru this after repairs were completed at HWH..
I get it on the slides but when extending the jacks I stop when I'm level and retracting is done by the springs.
Craig1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 02:48 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig1960 View Post
I get it on the slides but when extending the jacks I stop when I'm level and retracting is done by the springs.
your correct, my error !
Old 04-20-2018, 06:24 AM   #9

lol ok I thought I was missing something.
Craig1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 06:38 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Dale, does this information come from the manual? I've seen more information about slides than I can remember....engine off, engine on, never move the coach with the slides out, make sure the coach is completely level before moving the slides, etc. Lots of conflicting information out there. Sounds like you know what you're talking about though and I agree with what you said.
David3811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 08:21 AM   #11
Commercial Member

always read the operators manual. each mfg has its own extend and retract procedure. most are the same, but these procedures are written by the mfg with hwh assistance.
there are some differences when it comes to full wall slides, and engine off or on.
most mfg use the engine batteries, but some use the house batteries.
thats why an operators and a service manual are valuable tools to keep in your packet.
if you dont have either, its available free on the hwh website. if you cant find it, email me at pfmaddox@att.net
i will send you one or both. i need brand, model and year of your coach, as well as a description of your system. i.e. automatic, manual push button, or lever operated.
paul maddox
i do work for hwh. i do not sell parts, or solicit service work on this forum.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 09:20 AM   #12

Holding the button down an extra few seconds, I believe, only applies to hydraulic jacks or slides. It has no good effect on electric slides or air leveling systems.
Old 04-20-2018, 10:42 AM   #13

I just read the service manual. I see why you hold for an extra few seconds, the full room slide ram work independent of each other. ..meaning one could be ahead of or behind the other when operating, the few seconds let's the other side catch up. ..
Old 04-20-2018, 10:51 AM   #14

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by csbaer View Post
Holding the button down an extra few seconds, I believe, only applies to hydraulic jacks or slides. It has no good effect on electric slides or air leveling systems.
Actually the Newmar electric system works by using a variable breaker thay shurs power off when the motor draw meets enough resistance going in or out. So you have to keep the switch down till the motor quits. Did that on both our DSDP's.
Present rig is all HWH and holding the switch down for a second or two after slides quit moving is necessary. I have air leveling only so no jacks to worry about.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hwh