Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2016, 10:07 AM   #1

Hydraulic jack problem

I have a rear jack that does not totally retract. About 6" left sticking out.
When I retract all jacks, the "all jacks retracted light works fine, suggesting thart all jacks are fully retracted. This is on a 2003 Fleetwood Bounder.
Bruceeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2016, 10:09 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
To determine if all jacks are fully retracted, there is usually a pin activated switch that trips when fully retracted. Check the jack for a switch that nay be sticking.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 12:40 AM   #3

I don't see any switches on the hydraulic jacks.
Old 07-24-2016, 06:25 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What kind of leveler do you have? If they are Power Gear, they use a float switch in the hydraulic reservoir to indicate the position of the jacks. If yours is showing retracted then you might have an over filled reservoir. You also might have a weak spring. One of my rear jacks sometimes fail to retract, so I run them through a cycle fully extending them a couple of time and that seem to fix them.
Old 07-24-2016, 07:26 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Run the jacks all the way out, give them a good spraying with WD 40, wipe them off and retract. Worked on mine.
stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 11:26 PM   #6

Retracting jacks

Mine are Power Gear, so I will try the fully extension/retraction suggestion. Thank you for your response.
Old 07-24-2016, 11:48 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
From the power gear manual

"5. If jacks are down for extended periods, it is recommended to spray exposed chrome rods with a silicone lubricant every seven days for protection. If your coach is located in a salty environment, it is recommended to spray every 2 to 3 days."

Use a silicone lubricant.

Btw if you have filled the reservoir while the jack were down they were over filled and you will have to remove some of the fluid.
Old 07-25-2016, 09:25 PM   #8

My Power Gear Jacks have a zerk fitting near the bottom of the main jack housing. The rear ones were intermittently sticking about an inch or so from full retraction. The problem was solved when I pumped a little of the recommended lithium grease into each zerk. The jacks down light went out because the reservoir had apparently been filled with both, or perhaps all 4, stuck down like that so it was overfilled.
TomBr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 06:08 PM   #9

Thanks to all of you. I sprayed some WD40 on the jack and it retracted totally! :-) Thank you.
Old 01-03-2017, 07:04 PM   #10

I have the Power Gear jacks with the zerk fittings. I periodically spray with silicon and wipe off excess, and put a couple squeezes of lithium grease in each. I have always done the grease procedure with the jacks extended (when I spray the tubes with silicon). My question is this: Can I grease the jacks when retracted? The MH is parked with jacks retracted, and winterized, and I do not want to start the engine just to extend the jacks, but want to grease them.

Any thoughts?

2009 Fleetwood Southwind
Celerator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 11:18 AM   #11

I have always greased my Power Gear jacks while they are retracted- except one once when it didn't fully retract, and that solved my problem there.
TomBr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 10:38 PM   #12

Thanks!
Celerator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 10:43 PM   #13

I tried the WD-40 spray, and it completely solved the problem. I am a happy camper (Pun intended)
Old 01-06-2017, 08:51 AM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
On Power Gear hydraulic systems the "Jacks Down" is a float valve in the tank that holds the fluid, Tank full = Jacks up. (or close to it)

Now that slow jack, Extend and lubricate as per owner's manual
Do it again
See if this helps

I have one I'm going to do that with when I get ready to move this house, .. If it will not go up as it should I'll put a jack under it cause I need it FULLY retracted before we tow.

Tags
hydraulic