RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-05-2019, 12:14 PM   #1

I need help with wiring

Hello guys, I am super new to forums and you were my first choice hopefully you can help. I am wiring 2 solar panels to my batteries, I understand all that. However i am wiring my batteries and shore power to an inverter charger (2500w in ac in and out). I will attach a diagram of what i am wiring, although instead of shower power to inverter through i a fuse i am using the original breaker box as a “pass through” ( I believe is how to say it. And the AC out will go to a subpannel. And ALL outlets and lights will be powered through subpannel so that i can boondock or camp at a park. Im concerned on how to wire the sub pannel, i don’t fully understand the basic of where to put the G,N,L wires and if it needs its own dedicated nuetral and ground like the makn break does. Please help!! Here are some pics:

please excuse my ROUGH DRAFT Diagram, and the 2 wires in main breaker, it originally had all lights wired to a circuit breaker. I am going to rewire lights to the subpannel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	120DFE81-1739-46D5-8BF5-90DF2F55B2C0.png
Views:	9
Size:	138.3 KB
ID:	268691   Click image for larger version

Name:	B42C56B8-5C9C-4441-8F31-B4CF8E0D436D.jpeg
Views:	13
Size:	213.3 KB
ID:	268692  

Name:	67239E14-7732-4E1D-806C-75E2853AEFBC.jpeg
Views:	10
Size:	158.4 KB
ID:	268693  

Austin21jal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2019, 02:56 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Grand Design Owners Club
I'll take a stab at explaining.... And i am assuming since you said 2500watts you are

First you feed the AC input to the inverter from am appropriate size circuit breaker from the main panel. Use one for each leg if 2 phase. Your inverter instructions should explain this. You feed AC into the inverter so it can pass the shore power through to the circuits you put on the inverter and to charge the battery(s).

Then you can feed the AC from the inverter to a sub panel. From the sub panel you feed however many circuits you can/want. I can't tell from the photo of your sub panel, but it might be 2 phase in which case if you are only using one phase you will need to jumper the single phase to both poles for the circuit breaker.

As in the main panel, the sub panel is suppose to have separated (and not tied) neutral bus bar and ground bus bar. So, 3 wires for every circuit.

Hope this helps.

Old 12-05-2019, 03:30 PM   #3

You had me confused for a while with the reference to shower power. I am a little slow, but I got it in the end.

From your diagram I think I see you have a new combined, inverter/converter/transfer switch.

Hopefully the inverter came with wiring instructions. If not, this is what is generally needed.

Shore power needs to be connected to a main breaker. It probably will be a new one in the sub panel. It could be a fuse, but most people would prefer a breaker. It is possible there is a main fuse or breaker in the combined transfer switch, but this is unlikely.

A 30 amp 120 volt shore power cord needs a single pole 30 amp breaker.
A 50 amp 240 volt shore power cord needs combined double pole 50 amp breaker.

From the subpanel it would go to the combined transfer switch. This will switch power source to inverter when shore power is not available. It will also switch the combined charger off when shore power is off.

A 30 amp and 50 amp system need different kinds of transfer switches.

From the combined transfer switch it goes next to the old main breaker. Everything after that stays the same.

There are other ways of wiring. If the combined device manual shows something different, that is what to use.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 04:04 PM   #4

Shore power stays where it goes, thru ATS( If equipped ) and then to main breaker panel.

A newly installed single pole breaker from main panel, rated no more then the inverter pass thru switch can handle, goes to the inverter 120 volt" in " connections. Use standard 10 gauge romex with ground.

Use same size wire connected to 120 volt " out " terminals of inverter, to new sub panel.

Wire items you want to run on inverter, into new sub panel with proper breakers. New sub panel should be a 120 volt panel. A 240 volt panel will have a split bus bar, but could be jumped.

Keep ground and neutral apart. If new panel has bonding link, remove it.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 11:11 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persistent View Post
You had me confused for a while with the reference to shower power. I am a little slow, but I got it in the end.

From your diagram I think I see you have a new combined, inverter/converter/transfer switch.

Hopefully the inverter came with wiring instructions. If not, this is what is generally needed.

Shore power needs to be connected to a main breaker. It probably will be a new one in the sub panel. It could be a fuse, but most people would prefer a breaker. It is possible there is a main fuse or breaker in the combined transfer switch, but this is unlikely.

A 30 amp 120 volt shore power cord needs a single pole 30 amp breaker.
A 50 amp 240 volt shore power cord needs combined double pole 50 amp breaker.

From the subpanel it would go to the combined transfer switch. This will switch power source to inverter when shore power is not available. It will also switch the combined charger off when shore power is off.

A 30 amp and 50 amp system need different kinds of transfer switches.

From the combined transfer switch it goes next to the old main breaker. Everything after that stays the same.

There are other ways of wiring. If the combined device manual shows something different, that is what to use.
So i have the basic understanding-thank you guys but if i can get a little more clarity on a few things. I will have my shore power running through the main breaker, ( i have a 66 travel trailer so I believe its only a 30a or 15a shore power??? It has the circle and two prongs both vertical ) 1) what size circuit breaker should i run shore power through? I see 250a because of the 2500w inverter online but that seems so extra and costly. Then from main panel i run to the inverter/charger ( which claims it has auto switch ) and from inverter to sub panel. 2) Now do i need all my breakers to be 30a? Or is it just one?
Also my new breaker box looks WAY different then my original3), i only see one bus bar, can anyone help me understand where i put the neutral and ground? 4) And lastly you guys keep mentioning single and double poles of different sizes and all I currently have is 2 15a and 1 20a single pole breakers ( i dont need much power going to lights or outlets )
Old 12-06-2019, 11:14 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Keep ground and neutral apart. If new panel has bonding link, remove it.
How? I only see one bus bar in the panel nowhere to separate the ground and neutral.
Old 12-06-2019, 11:56 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin21jal View Post
How? I only see one bus bar in the panel nowhere to separate the ground and neutral.
You buy a bus bar and screw it in where that wire looking thing is. That becomes the ground bus.
Old 12-06-2019, 03:31 PM   #8

]Does this look correct? - for the grounding wire does it matter what size/type of wire i use? And does it need to run directly to the chassis or can it be tapped into another ground?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	04293DB5-C602-4E2D-9F7F-A2F4EA6DC364.jpeg
Views:	8
Size:	216.8 KB
ID:	268793  
Old 12-06-2019, 04:09 PM   #9

Its backwards. Swap the bare wire and the white wire.

You also need a clamp in the hole that the romex wire comes in thru.

You seem to have no experience in electrical wiring and are treading into dangerous territory.
Old 12-06-2019, 04:58 PM   #10

I know very very little on the 120v side of electrical. Way out of my league here. Thats why i’m here. I will grab some clamps tomorrow. Why is it they are necessary I assumed it was to keep a cleaner look.
Old 12-06-2019, 05:07 PM   #11

The clamps prevent chafing of the wires on the edge of the steel inclosure and shorting out.

Short circuits cause fires.
Old 12-07-2019, 10:37 AM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Its backwards. Swap the bare wire and the white wire.

You also need a clamp in the hole that the romex wire comes in thru.

You seem to have no experience in electrical wiring and are treading into dangerous territory.
What twinboat said; not knocking your attempt at DIY but electricity is not to be messed with. Please be careful.

Tags
need help, wiring