Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-14-2014, 03:09 PM   #15

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ok, RV "refrigerators" have not changed much in oh, well since.. Well, I hae a Wizard of Id cartoon where Sir Rodney gets stuck behind a horse drawn Winnie.

Oh there have been SOME improvements like automatic switching from Propane to AC and back, and Direct Spark Ignition, but the basic operation and the actual cooling engine have not changed in a long, long time.

So what is yours doing wrong.

Burner won't light,,
Electric element won't heat (The cooling unit runs on heat)

Gets hot (on the outside) but no cool (on the inside)

In the last case you have 3 choices (with sub choices on most of them)

New Dometic or Norcold.. many sub shoices including all electric models, See note

New "Residential" type

Replace Cooling unit only (Same box, Same door, Just the back side gets replaced.

The NOTE: Norcold and Dometic now both offer high effiency (Danfoss or competitor) Fridges, these are compressor driven and suck just about 4 amps off your batteries when cooling. That's 35-50 watts, depending on the precise model,, OPENING THE DOOR turns on a lamp that is often in the 25 watt range for comparison, Just one dual 1156 light fixture is over 50 watts.

OF course they are a tad pricey.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2014, 03:54 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma800 View Post
I use the best / low tech method.
Ice cube trays with bottled water ......
I also go low tech, $2 to the check out clerk for a bag full of harder, better quality commercial grade ice. The first one we had, the feed line and fill solenoid was damaged in an unexpected freeze. I capped the line and never did a repair. On the current unit, upon purchase I drained the system, installed a shut off valve on the feed line and as soon as I can figure out how to remove the whole unit, it goes away and into storage as we prefer to have the extra freezer space..

VSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 04:15 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Plasma
On some coaches that doesn't have converters (DC to AC) installed for some appliances, there may be a small converter mounted near the refrigerator to work the motor on the ice maker. If this describes your coach then you may want to disconnect the 12v to the converter since youve removed the ice maker. Recd my new ice maker which I purchased from Amazon. Spent 15 min and $42 and we're back in business. Our frig is large with 2 door freezer. Room for the ice maker and container.
Deerhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 09:29 AM   #18

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Welcome and glad to meet you!
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 08:31 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by barman View Post
1985 Cruise Air 27' refer quit cooling. This is a good Motorhome, we would like to keep it. So far, (and I am familiar with old vehicles) the suggestion is get a new one. Well, is there another route? This is a Sibir unit, with amonia. Can it be fixed?

Thanx BARMAN
Very few technicians will fool with ammonia systems these days, but some still do because there are old ammonia commercial systems still working, and the military did use this type unit. Ammonia under pressure is dangerous (as in life-threatening), it is NOT a DIY project.
Were it mine, I would replace with a modern unit.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigerator