Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2018, 05:41 PM   #1

Illuminated light switch?

I have the attached panel in my new RV. The switch to turn the lights on for the camper is the one on the bottom-left. In the dark it can be a nuisance to try and find. Is anyone aware of a switch I could swap it with that would be illuminated when off? I know they make such things for household switches as we have a couple.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo Sep 24, 6 36 23 PM.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	491.2 KB
ID:	220411  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2018, 06:07 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Just a thought here but perhaps less expensive and permanent, some fluorescent 'touch up' paint? Maybe even commandeering something from the DW's nail polish stash?
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 06:16 PM   #3

How about a stick on light, battery, LED last a long time and less than $10 at Walmart/Home Depot. You can get a lighted switch from a hardware/Amazon/Auto Zone, but it need a separate live power source/wire to light the switch light.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 06:26 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies. I don't want to have to light something separate to see it. At that point I'll just find the switch. Assuming the switch is a simple open/close type of switch there is power to it, just only on one side of the switch. I believe the way the lighted-when-off type of switch work is they use the ground to complete the circuit when off as it's such a low current. I would assume something similar could be done here with the right type of switch. I was just having trouble finding one, which may be because such a thing doesn't exist.
Old 09-24-2018, 06:40 PM   #5

Google lighted rocker switches.......I changed all in my panel
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 06:46 PM   #6

The switch you are looking for is quite common. I have a spare in my tool box. I get them from Bontrager's Surplus store near White Pigeon, MI. They have bins full of these switches and anything else RV related.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Switch.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	220427   Click image for larger version

Name:	Switch prongs.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	220428  

grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 06:49 PM   #7

Got mine in Quartzsite.....guy had a big box full of them.....$1 a piece and they all work
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 07:03 PM   #8

I think you guys are all referring to standard illuminated rocker switches which light up when the switch is ON. I want it to be lit when the switch is OFF.
Old 09-24-2018, 08:59 PM   #9

This is the only thing I can find and I think it may actually work better:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...KIKX0DER&psc=1

This will give me a bigger button to press (I'll put it into one of he larger blank spots I have on my panel) and I can use the current switch to toggle the power to this switch so I can turn off the power to it completely as to not drain the battery with the light if I really wanted.
Old 09-24-2018, 10:02 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by syntax53 View Post
I think you guys are all referring to standard illuminated rocker switches which light up when the switch is ON. I want it to be lit when the switch is OFF.
Only the 12V+ wire is switched there is no ground wire to the switch. Perhaps a triple throw switch would work IF you ran a separate ground wire to it.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 04:29 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by syntax53 View Post
This is the only thing I can find and I think it may actually work better:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...KIKX0DER&psc=1

This will give me a bigger button to press (I'll put it into one of he larger blank spots I have on my panel) and I can use the current switch to toggle the power to this switch so I can turn off the power to it completely as to not drain the battery with the light if I really wanted.

Success. Exactly what I wanted:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1AI4...ew?usp=sharing

Tags
light, switch