RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-27-2017, 07:51 AM   #1

Install of the Weboost 4GX OTR or 4GX-RV Antenna

Trying to have pre-wired on a new build the cable for the weboost cell booster on a 2018 Bay Star 3401 from the AV box area to the rear of the coach.

It is my understanding from reading that the trucker antenna (18 inches high) is the better antenna although the RV one is perhaps just as good. The problem is HOW to mount the antenna to the rig and the cable wire is different depending on the model you choose.

The RV one suggests drilling a 1 inch hole on the rear side of the rig with a loop in the wire going onto the roof. The antenna is then somehow mounted on the roof with a "L" bracket high enough so it clears everything on the roof. Sounds easy enough until you start to think about how you do it

The trucker model you would have pre-wired to come up through the roof with a plate and then mount the antenna on the roof. Problem here is the antenna bracket is for a mirror bar on a truck and placing it on the ladder will add 18 inches to the height making it too high.

Has anyone installed one of these antennas on their rig and if so how did you do it? Pictures would be great

Daniel
Rvlegaleagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2017, 11:49 PM   #2

I bought the 4GX-RV unit. If you look at the first review on Amazon for this model, they talk about using apex pipe and a suction cup. I went the same route. The antenna is not permanently mounted. I run the cable through the slide and then attach the antenna to the side of the slide using the Techno RV suction cup on a 6 foot pvc pipe. That way I can have the antenna extended and not worry about the height. It takes less than 10 minutes to setup or take down. For now it seems to be working just fine.

ronmeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 12:20 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
I mounted the OTR antenna on the ladder on my previous RV. But when we got a new MH this year I went back to the 4 inch magnetic antenna they used to offer. I didn’t see that much improvement from the OTR antenna, most likely due to the long cable run from the back of the coach to the booster in the front.

With the stubby antenna you must mount a ground plan on the roof - any small thin flat piece of metal about 8x8” for the mag antenna to sit on. I just stick dicor on the back of a piece of sheet steel from Home Depot and “glue” to the roof. Then the antenna sticks to the ground plan with its magnet.

It works 80% as well as the OTR antenna without the mounting hassles.

PS. We don’t find the Weboost that helpful anyway. It helps sometimes but it’s not the answer for cellular issues that some folks make it out to be.
Old 12-28-2017, 07:28 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
With the stubby antenna you must mount a ground plan on the roof - any small thin flat piece of metal about 8x8” for the mag antenna to sit on. I just stick dicor on the back of a piece of sheet steel from Home Depot and “glue” to the roof. Then the antenna sticks to the ground plan with its magnet.
This is how I have mine setup. I used 2-part epoxy for the "glue" then dicor to seal the edges a piece of 12x18 (from home depot) to the roof. I did paint this while with rustoleum paint just because I knew it would not be easy to remove later if it were to rust (this will at least give it a year longer than just the galvanization, right? LOL).
The previous owner of our coach had run a Sirius antenna up through the fiberglass cap so I drilled next to that for the cable to exit. All seems to be doing well 8 months later. As for the booster, I mainly use it to feed my internet adapter and just leave the 2 of them velcro'd together.
Old 12-28-2017, 08:52 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomB View Post
I did paint this while with rustoleum paint just because I knew it would not be easy to remove later if it were to rust (this will at least give it a year longer than just the galvanization, right? LOL).
..... As for the booster, I mainly use it to feed my internet adapter and just leave the 2 of them velcro'd together.
I painted mine as well. Using dicor under and along the edges too. As you know if you've removed anything dicored to the roof it holds really well.

I also have used the booster to boost my Mifi broadband cards and velcroed them together. However, our MiFi cards (we have one ATT and one Verizon) have two antenna ports and that permits them to be used with a simple $28 internal MiMo antenna. We get vastly better data speeds with the MiMo antenna and more signal boost too. So, we've turned off the Weboost and just use the little MiMo antenna attached to a side window upfront with the antenna's supplied suction cups.

We connect the MiFi/Jetpack card(s) to our WiFi Ranger Go2 Router and the whole RV has it's own private network with fast internet speeds.

So, good we've given up SAT TV and stream 100% of the time now.

Here's a link to the MiMo Antenna:

https://www.amazon.com/Netgear-60004...dp/B00DN3J03O/
Old 12-28-2017, 12:19 PM   #6

Thanks for all your input, actual experiences and advice on the Weboost.

My plan is to have the Weboost itself mounted inside a front cabinet along with the Verizon wifi jet pack and then right outside the cabinet mount the candy bar antenna a few inches from the jet pack and close enough to the driver and passenger seat area to perhaps get a boost on the cell phone.

I will be getting the Nano station system for inside wifi (mounted mid coach) which can then connect to the jet pack and/or other available wifi.

Want to place the Weboost antenna at least 20 feet away from the candy bar inside antenna which leaves the rear of the rig as a possible mounting place. The antenna type dictates the cable type to be used which will run through a 1 inch conduit as part of the build from the rear roof plate opening up to the front cabinet. Have been told length of antenna cable run isn't an issue if it is all one uninterrupted run (no connectors).

It is the installation and type of antenna causing me issues. The rig is supposed to be 12 '8 high with the A/Cs but since I do not have access to it am not sure how high the A/Cs are by themselves and figure into the overall 12 '8 height.

Have heard the trucker OTR antenna is the best (that figures) but it is 18 inches high with the spring. It also only mounts straight up and intended to mount on a bar like the bottom part coming in on a trucker's mirror. Perhaps mounting it for height adjustment with the pole bracket that comes with the RV antenna set up is an option on the rear ladder? Can perhaps even lower it then during travel time?

The little stubby one is the least powerful and needs a ground plate which on a rubber roof must be fastened by screws. Enough holes already And one of you said there was a 80% difference when using it.

The RV antenna is only 8 inches and must be higher than your existing roof including A/Cs and must be pole mounted making the ladder not enough height.

Then of course you hear many people say the booster isn't all that it is cracked up to be anyway. Actually writing this has helped me think about what to do If anyone else has suggestions or advice please post it. Again thanks in advance for your input, experiences and advice

Daniel
Old 12-28-2017, 01:46 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Here's some real world for you to consider. The Weboost Candy Bar antenna is supposed to boost signal up to 3' from the bar. In my experience you'll be lucky to get boost more than one foot from the indoor antenna. And, in testing I've read the RV table mount indoor antenna is worse.

To get a real benefit from my Weboost in terms of signal strength on my phone or on my Mifi cards the device needs to be within 6 inches of the candy bar - and this is why most place their device ON TOP of the candy bar antenna.

Putting the Weboost in front cabinet is great - but a 20' run back to the rear of the coach will cause a majority of the signal to be lost. It will depend on the cable you use. The OTR comes with 14 ft of RG58 cable. So, to go 20' you'll need to use an additional cable. Been there done that. Expect to lose 40% of the antenna gain.

https://www.wilsonamplifiers.com/blo...-cable-length/

And, the 4" stubby antenna gives up 20% of the gain to the OTR - not the 80% you mentioned. Plus it can be mounted closer to the booster.

Also, in my experience it's almost impossible to get the Antenna to not feedback to the Candybar. The issue in an RV is the lack of a metal roof (like a Truck or car would have) and the closeness in height between the booster/indoor antenna and the roof of the RV. I've tried three different antennas in varying heights, distances away and getting as much separation as possible between the indoor antenna and the outdoor antenna and my Weboost always flashes at least one light red/green to indicate oscillation.

A ground plain dicored to your roof even without screwing it down will work just fine on a rubber roof. The stubby antenna is so short that there are not a lot of forces tugging on the antenna or the ground plane. That's how it can stay attached with a simple 1" round magnet base.

I know you've read up on this stuff. And that you have a plan. That's good. I'm just giving you a real world experience from the two RVs I've had my Weboost Drive 4g-X (with 3 different antennas) installed in.

PS. To get great info on this stuff go to https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/ the Mobile Internet Resource Center website. GREAT info. Some is available for free. But to get real value you have to join and pay a $65 fee. I resisted that for a long time but finally joined and I've found it SUPER helpful. Worth the money.
Old 12-28-2017, 07:24 PM   #8

“In my experience you'll be lucky to get boost more than one foot from the indoor antenna. And, in testing I've read the RV table mount indoor antenna is worse.”....”To get a real benefit from my Weboost in terms of signal strength on my phone or on my Mifi cards the device needs to be within 6 inches of the candy bar”....agreed

“but a 20' run back to the rear of the coach will cause a majority of the signal to be lost. It will depend on the cable you use. The OTR comes with 14 ft of RG58 cable”..... So, to go 20' you'll need to use an additional cable”....or just one cable at 25’ but this is concerning if it loses signal when Weboost themselves clearly says a 20 foot separation is necessary in at least the RV model instructions!!! I will certainly explore and look further into that part

“the 4" stubby antenna gives up 20% of the gain to the OTR - not the 80% you mentioned....lol...I meant it was only 80% of the OTR or a 20% loss like you said

“Plus it can be mounted closer to the booster”.....that is interesting and I wonder why although it is for a car setup?

“Also, in my experience it's almost impossible to get the Antenna to not feedback to the Candybar”... the stubby one too?

“A ground plain dicored to your roof even without screwing it down will work just fine on a rubber roof”....that is really good to know

“I'm just giving you a real world experience from the two RVs I've had my Weboost Drive 4g-X (with 3 different antennas) installed in”....thanks I really appreciate actual experiences and your time to respond

“go to https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/ the Mobile Internet Resource Center” GREAT info”..... I learned a lot from them over the last 20 months about RVing! They are presently working on learning about boats themselves $65 is that per year or only a one time fee?

All of this technology changes by the minute Perhaps weboost or someone else will have something new in 2018 easier to install and set up. My problem is to try and have a new build pre-wired to avoid all the after purchase drama and expense as I can. Maybe I will just try smoke signals...lol

Daniel
Old 12-28-2017, 11:45 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
When Weboost says 20’ separation they are talking outdoor antenna to indoor antenna. Not outdoor antenna to booster. The indoor antenna cable is at least 6’ long or longer. So you can get 20’ separation between the two.

The cable on the OTR is not removable. It’s 14’ long. Period. So you can’t put a 25’ cable on it instead of the 14’ cable it comes with.

The 4” antenna has less gain, hence less oscillation issues. The cable on it is not removable either. Yes I still have oscillation issues with the 4” antenna.

This is why I subscribe to the Mobile Internet Resource website. They cover and test every option, every antenna, every new entry in the market.
Old 12-29-2017, 01:21 AM   #10
dp7

I am considering the OTR & RV antenna also. For best performance both need to be higher than the roof protrusions which mostly likely will be the A/C units. Having an antenna higher than the A/C units is just too high for me while on the road. So I am searching for a mount that can be raised electrically to avoid constantly climbing on the roof to raise & lower the antenna. Just another approach for your consideration.
Old 12-29-2017, 07:53 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dp7 View Post
I am considering the OTR & RV antenna also. For best performance both need to be higher than the roof protrusions which mostly likely will be the A/C units. Having an antenna higher than the A/C units is just too high for me while on the road. So I am searching for a mount that can be raised electrically to avoid constantly climbing on the roof to raise & lower the antenna. Just another approach for your consideration.
Can you mount it to the crank-up TV antenna? (assuming you have one of those). 2 birds one stone. My antenna when raised is the tallest thing up there.
Old 12-29-2017, 09:48 AM   #12

Question

Thanks for all your input and advice

Direct from Weboost tech this morning:

1. The OTR antenna uses a smaller cable and will LOOSE signal if over the 14ft cable that comes with it. Good-by OTR

2. The RV unit comes with RG6 wire and the antenna is 10 inches. He suggested replacing the RG6 cable with RG11 less than 1/2 the loss over a 35 foot run. Can get a 35 foot RG11 cable on Amazon.

3. The desk top antenna has a better gain that the candy bar. The candy bar inside antenna has a 14 foot cable and the desk top a 5 foot cable. The desk top is more powerful at the top and is dead at the bottom signal wise.

4. You can get osculation issues from either the outside OR inside antenna. Outside antenna from inside antenna the more separation the better, 30 feet better than 20 feet. Inside antenna at least 10 inches separation from the booster to inside antenna.

5. Clamp set up on the RV antenna is for a 1 inch pole or pipe. Suggested a form of marine antenna mount that permits it to go up and then side ways with a telescope pole. Not a bad idea. When still can use the telescope pole to get more height and while driving put it down or sideways so to not add too much height.

Seems like I will be ordering the 1 inch conduit with roof plate. Hope this helps answer some of the issues raised in this thread. Any further suggestions, experiences or thoughts are welcomed.

Daniel
Old 12-29-2017, 11:10 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Let us know how this works for you. I know we're all interested in your results up front and long term.
Old 12-30-2017, 12:14 AM   #14

I sure will but the rig isn't even built yet...lol. Probably by the time it is there will be something new on the market.

Hope to boondock out west mostly and just figured I should have a cell booster, jet pack, an inside WIFI and WIFI booster. Not all that into tech as my flip phone works just fine for me

Daniel

Tags
antenna, install